Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cambridge Drill

lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
in General 328 karma
How would you go about drilling the Cambridge drill packets post-curriculum?
Do you think it would maybe be more productive if I was to just print out PTs 1-38 and drill all the questions based on section type?
I've been studying for a while now and feel that I have been making a lot of studying mistakes, so I'm looking for any kind of advice on how to reroute.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2016 10774 karma
    I think this depends on what you need to work on.

If you take a look at your analytics and there is a particular question type you have difficulty with then I would say use the Cambridge packet to drill out your weaknesses.

But if you have problems with timing or an issue that can only be solved through doing timed section then do the section instead.

There is no one answer. It all depends on at the moment what you want to work on.

I actually do both and it varies on which one of my issues I am working on.

I know this wasn't a clear answer but I don't think such an answer exists. I hope this was at least helpful.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Sami said:
    I know this wasn't a clear answer but I don't think such an answer exists. I hope this was at least helpful.
    I also was looking for an answer to this question not so long ago and @Sami explained the same thing to me. I realized the way described above works great!

I found myself using the packets whenever I learned a new question type and to drill weaknesses according to analytics like Sami described above.
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    When I take a timed section, I have trouble finishing the last few questions. When I grade it, I only get the level 5 difficulty questions wrong (usually missing an average of -6 per LR section :/). The questions I miss are across the board in question type.

I've tried to review these questions, and when i do I can usually come at the right answer with enough time. But, I'm not seeing improvements when I take the next timed section. I'm not really sure where to go from here. Which is why I figured I would go back to drilling but it seems like this might not be an effective solution.

@Sami @"Alex Divine"
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16

I would suggest recording yourself. You are taking too long on some questions that you shouldn't be taking too long on and its causing you to run of time. It's a common problem that I think can actually be easily fixed. When you find out what questions you took too long on, I would recommend a full analysis of what about that question took you too long. Should you have skipped it? I would drill that aspect of that question that you took too long in.

Also, it is not necessary that the last 5 questions are the hardest, sometimes question #2 can also be difficult. Also, people have different strengths and weaknesses. Maybe you are taking too long on a particular question type or argument type. I would find out what's causing the delay.
    For example, if on my first read I don't understand a question and I cannot predict what form the answer might take, I skip it.
    So this is really up to you and your strengths but it requires you to gain more information about what you are actually doing on a timed practice.
    328 karma
    @Sami said:
    Also, it is not necessary that the last 5 questions are the hardest, sometimes question #2 can also be difficult.
    ahhaa no i know! when i grade an exam i look at the question/stimulus/passage/etc difficulty ranking right next to it to determine how "difficult" it really is.

@Sami said:
    gain more information about what you are actually doing on a timed practice
    This is probably something I should focus on. I dont know that I ever really considered it, but I'll put it to use going forward. Thank you <3 :)
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Hey, another idea you might want to consider that it may not be question type specific issues, but could be flaw type issues within the questions. I was in a similar situation a while back and recognized that most of my misses were Causation flaws.
    Hope this helps:)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 said:
    This is probably something I should focus on. I dont know that I ever really considered it, but I'll put it to use going forward. Thank you <3 :)
    Yeah, Sami nailed everything I wanted to say above. Her advice has helped me immensely with LR - so I would follow suit. :)
    328 karma
    @twssmith said:
    Hey, another idea you might want to consider that it may not be question type specific issues, but could be flaw type issues within the questions.
    Wait..yes! this is actually really helpful!! I think I'm going to start looking at questions missed in this way too. Thank you!