Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Score addendum

EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member

Hey all!

I've been hiding away doing applications. I hope everyone did well on the December test and if you didn't, Feb is around the corner and I know you all will kick ass.

So this hasn't actually come up until today but one school I'm applying to asks for an explanation if your second LSAT score is five points or above your last one. I improved by five points and wasn't sure how I should approach the explanation.

Three main reasons for why I increased:

1. 7Sage and the community. I got great advice and an awesome curriculum. Prior to paying the money, I just used the Powerscore books which are useful but just not as effective for me personally.
  2. I took the test in Feb 2014 about one month before I was supposed to leave for Peace Corps. So a lot was going on in my mind and I was probably freaking out more than I thought I was.
  3. I studied WAY HARDER this time. I was way more determined and knew what I wanted. Before Peace Corps I was on the fence about law school and being in Peace Corps I learned way more about myself and the kind of career I want.

So I'm not sure if I should explain all of this or if it makes me look like a slacker. I don't want the school to think I can't handle stress or change.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and love this site!

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

Instead of #1, just emphasize that you didn't realize how much one could actually improve on the LSAT (if that's true). Other than that, I'd include everything else.

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma

None of those 3 points would make you look like a slacker...just be strategic with your wording.

1) You felt confident self-studying, but, after months of rigorous studying you realized that a more structured approach worked better (e.g. 7Sage).

2) You felt up to the task and felt ready to take the LSAT. You didn't expect leaving for the Peace Corp to invoke feelings of anxiety. Honest mistake.

3) Already worded perfectly. You weren't sure about law school, but knew you wanted a career in law. PC reinforced your desire to practice law, and you became even more determined to attend law school.