Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

admissions advice: 6+ month unemployment gap, still not LSAT ready

monika_pmonika_p Alum Member

Hi Guys,

I am having some trouble right now with LSATs/admissions, and since I've found this community to be overwhelmingly kind and wise, I thought I would give it a shot. For reference, I am shooting for the T-14 (my undergrad GPA is within those ranges).

Basically, I've had a loooong relationship with the LSAT. Made every rookie mistake in the book. I graduated last June, and I first took an LSAT prep course the summer before my senior year. I went from a 150 to a 160, and thought I could get 173+ by the start of the school year. Obviously that didn't happen, and my entire last year of college was a whole slew of panicked withdrawals and parental pressure, which even resulted in an absence on one of the exams because I didn't withdraw on time.

Thankfully, the gravity of that mistake shocked me out of my cycle. I decided to focus on school, then pick it up again from graduation up until this past September exam. Having finished the curriculum and not discovered 7Sage yet, I studied COMPLETELY the wrong way. My instructor was well-meaning, but he was one of those "unicorns" of the LSAT world - went from a 150 to a 177 in 2 weeks, with a vacation to Mexico in between. (Lol I can't make that up.) He told us the best way to prepare was to drill question types for months and then take practice tests right before. Unfortunately, I still let pressures of friends/family get to me and sat for this past September exam, which I ended up cancelling.

That was kind of the final "shock to the system" I needed and I realized I want to finally do it right this time: PT and BR'ing, not registering until I'm ready, etc. Sure enough, it was working. Then, unexpectedly, I had to get pretty major surgery, which took quite a while to recover from. I have still managed to keep my score from slipping, and now that I'm finally doing a lot better it's on the rise again. I plan to sit for June or September, and am currently PT'ing solidly in the mid 160's (with about 10 PT's down).

However, it has now technically been over half a year (almost 8 months, yikes) since I've graduated, and I've been unemployed the entire time. The resume gap is extremely nerve-wracking, but I also know I can't afford losing focus - especially with an absence AND cancel on my record (also extremely nerve-wracking). Would part time be an option? Does such a big gap already drastically lower my chances of admission to a top school? I am determined to not make any more big mistakes this time around... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    edited February 2017 696 karma

I've been employed at least part time since I began studying and going full time since graduation has only put additional strain. What was supposed to be one year off turned out to be two years entirely because I tried to do both. At least for me, it has been, and still is, very difficult to achieve the score I want when I have to commit so much time and effort to work. I wouldn't pursue full time employment only for the sake of your resume because I don't think it makes that much of a difference when you apply to law school, or at the very least, it doesn't make as much a difference as a quality LSAT score. Like so many things, it depends on your particular circumstances but I hope you consider the potential consequences of trying to do both.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@monika_p said:
    Would part time be an option?

Hey so I work part time for this very reason and I have to say its a very good option. One, it puts just enough pressure on the amount of time I have to make me use my study time wisely. Two, it avoids this giant gap of timeline in the resume. Three, I like having some money coming in :DD . Fourth, LSAT is exhausting and working 3 days out of 7 can be really helpful in giving us that mental break that our brain absolutely needs.

But overall, my experience has been quite positive with part time work and studying for LSAT. I get a lot done, more than I used to when I didn't work for a month. Also, I like working at a law firm. It's so motivating to see what it is that I am studying for every time I go to work. It's definitely worth it. I honestly think a non-stressful part time job that was also motivating towards my goal of becoming a lawyer was a necessary part of my prep. I have definitely put more effort into studying when I know I have to work the next day and I won't have that time.

So in all up to you. There is no right answer. Other people do this while not having a job at all or working full time. I like my happy medium. <3

Good luck!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

I recently graduated and am just serving at a restaurant part time. I can sort of relate. I tried to take the LSAT twice while in school and decided it was best to wait till I graduated so I could focus on it.

I had extensive discussions with my pre-law adviser about my gap between graduation and law school (graduated this past December; law school 2018) and she told me it wouldn't be an issue. Now I'm aiming for SMU myself so I don't know if there is a big difference in resume requirements (maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong) between them and T-14 schools, but the main thing schools are looking for is that you did something with your time. You can work, volunteer, etc. but the main thing is that you are doing something other than Netflix all day. You also could address this issue in your personal statement too if you feel it is necessary.

Hope this helps!

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    457 karma

For what it is worth, I have taken off over 1 year from work mostly because life afforded me the opportunity to do so. This is the first time I have not worked at least part-time in 10 years. I do, however, have plenty of volunteer time during that period.

If you can manage it financially, and you feel it would be beneficial to your studies to not work, then do so! Only you can know what is best for you. If you are worried about the gap in your application, there are other ways to fill that time without the strain of a job. Personally, I found volunteering to be very rewarding, because I could help people in need, and I could set variable hours to accommodate any schedule needs I had.

I don't think anyone can benefit from studying 40 hours a week, so like others have said, find something to fill your time in a positive manner. I believe schools want to see that you have interests and passions; volunteering is a way to show that you want to help others without receiving anything in return (if you believe in altruism) while engaging in something that interests you. Working can do the same, but I don't think getting a 9-5 shows much about you unless it is something you are passionate about.

For me, the most important change I made in my life going into my LSAT studies was listening to my own needs instead of worrying about what I look like on a resume. I have found that my own voice did a much better job of guiding me to the right decisions. Find what won't burn you out, what can bring you satisfaction, and what can provide life necessities, all balanced with each other. You aren't applying to law school yet, so don't sweat it too much. At the end of the day, schools afford you the opportunity to explain any 'flaws' you see in your application, anyway.

And as one of my favorite books reminds me, "Don't Panic".

• poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    edited February 2017 496 karma

Was in a very similar situation as you with the family pressure to a unicorn LSAT tutor etc. but I also decided to take some time off to study and be a better applicant before law school. I graduated in 2014 and somehow my 1 year gap year has turned into a 3-4 years off. Granted during this time, I did various things, from interning part time a nonprofit for a cause I really care about, to having my own startup. Currently, I'm studying full time but I tutor SAT/ACT part time and mentor/volunteer in my other spare time. This has been nice because I'm able to focus on myself while still making some money/filling that 'employment gap'.

I think it's ultimately up to you in terms of what you want to do. You know yourself the best and I think why it's taken me so long to study is because I was doing so many other things and now I'm finally figuring out a schedule that works for me. It's really all been a process of trial and error but I really wouldn't change a thing about it because I feel so much more sure about going to law school and the direction I want to go in. I'm sure everything will work out for you :) let me know if you wanna vent/talk about it!

• Jennifer NJennifer N Member
    45 karma

I have worked for 10 years and I've now taken a year off. During this time I decided that law school may be an option so I started studying for the LSAT. I was also concerned about taking too much time off studying for the LSAT. What employers and recruiters have told me is that the gap in your resume is okay IF you can describe what you have been doing during that time. However, studying for longer than a year to get into law school will not look great. I would suggest once you reach a year of not working, you might consider applying for a part time job. You could work at a law firm or a large corporation. Both options will build your resume for your law school application, or if you decide not to pursue law.

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma

Hi @monika_p, I totally understand what you're going through. I graduated in June 2015 and I won't be starting law school until this year.

Way back when I was an undergrad, I thought that I would maybe go straight through from undergrad to grad school. And then, when I knew that wasn't going to pan out, I thought I would take just one year off. Obviously that was before I understood how difficult and important the LSAT was. In the months leading up to the December 2015 LSAT, I kept wavering back and forth - I knew people that were KJDs going to HYS/CCN, so I felt incredibly behind and like I wasn't smart or successful. I didn't want to be stuck in transit, waiting another year to keep going with my life, but I also didn't want to have a low LSAT score and end up at a school that would not pay off. A mix of nerves and the craziness of life led me to sit out the December 2015 test and I postponed a year.

As everyone else has said, you (and I) made a very wise decision, even though it's easy to let peer pressure make you feel otherwise. I waited a year, even quit my full time job last June to study and complete applications, and now I'm in at T-14s with considerable scholarships. So waiting was absolutely worth it.

tl;dr, don't feel badly about being eight months out of school and unsure where you're going law school yet. Being a KJD at a T-14 can be a big disadvantage, anyway. Find some part-time work or a volunteer cause to keep you busy - remember, you don't have to be a paralegal or a legal assistant or even set foot in a law firm to have good work experience. Find something meaningful to you and study for the LSAT on the side. You have plenty of time until the June/September/December takes, so spread out your studying accordingly, and enjoy your break from school for now. Best of luck!

• monika_pmonika_p Alum Member
    194 karma

@Sami that was actually my exact thought process as to why I thought part-time would be a good idea, thank you so much for the insight! I think that's looking like the best option for me right now. If you don't mind me asking, did you find it difficult to find part-time work specifically? It seems everywhere I look asks for full-time, and I've also been told some places that pay part-time end up basically working you full time, so I was just wondering what that process was like for you!

194 karma

@BenjaminSF said:
    Working can do the same, but I don't think getting a 9-5 shows much about you unless it is something you are passionate about.

I really needed to hear this, thank you! Being stressed about the situation came at the expense of trying to make decisions that wouldn't be a good fit for me. I gave it more thought and I think working part time and/or volunteer work would be best for my situation (even better than full-time studying).

Interestingly, I have usually always stuck to the mantra of not actively trying to look good on a resume, and in fact largely attribute that to my successes. I think perhaps looking at this situation - where I've made a fair share of mistakes - was making me wary of trusting my own judgment. Thank you for the clarity :)

194 karma

@stgl1230 First of all, CONGRATS on the T-14 thats amazing! And thank you for sharing your experience; parts of it are honestly so similar to mine it feels like I'm hearing my own. I had those exact emotions with making it a 2 year gap, and I especially relate in regards to all the friends who had already "made it" so to speak. I have quite a few of those, most of which I'd taken classes with in high school or college, and I've found it can really throw you off if you let it.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your timeline like after you postponed for the December 2015 exam? Curious to hear how you balanced your full time job with the LSAT in those six months before quitting in June. Did you then take the September LSAT? It's such a pivotal couple months, and I was curious how you made your study schedule work for you. I really can't afford to do a 3-year gap so I'm trying to ensure I have an iron-clad study plan ahead of me.

Thank you so much for the kind words/inspiration :)

194 karma

@akeegs92 yes it helped a lot! glad to know others have been in similar situations. good luck with SMU by the way :)

@apublicdisplay thank you, and major props for juggling both. I don't think I can afford to take more time off so this was some much-needed perspective

@"Jennifer N" knowing this about employers/recruiters is very helpful, I will definitely keep that in mind. good luck with the rest of your studying

@poohbear im glad these couple years have given you direction! I was actually considering tutoring SAT's as well (if only we could take that test instead LOL), but I wasn't sure because I figured I might be overloading my brain and affecting my studying. did you find this to be the case?

Also haha just want to say @ all of you thank you for being so nice and helpful; other law school forums can be so cut throat. This was really great :)

• poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    496 karma

@monika_p I've found it actually very helpful! Oddly enough, you'll start to notice that there's a lot of parallels between studying for the SAT and the LSAT. I knew of several other people from 7Sage who were also studying full time while tutoring SAT/ACT on the side and they all said the same thing. Tactics and strategies that I teach my students (especially in RC section) are things that I use during my own studies for the LSAT like active reading, and emphasizing POVs etc. It's almost like a constant reminder to myself that I need to push more since my students are working so hard. I also think it's a great way to make some money and give you a break from dealing with the LSAT 24/7. Good luck!

edited February 2017 821 karma

@monika_p Thank you, and I'm so glad I could help! This will be you next year.

Here was my study schedule:

Fall 2015 - Winter 2016 - self-study with the LSAT Trainer and a couple of practice tests
    March 2016 - June 2016 - bought access to 7Sage, studied CC around the clock in March, studied only ~10 hours a week through late April-May (work got busy), and then studied CC around the clock to finish CC in mid-June. Took a few days off, then took a couple of untimed PTs, then worked up to doing full PTs by taking two or three sections of a test at a time.
    July 2016 - September 2016 - took ~2 PTs a week with BR up until the September test.
    October 2016 - December 2016 - took about 3.5 weeks off after the September LSAT, started working on applications, and then got back into PTing and BRing for the December test. I would alternate between two and one PT + BR a week. Submitted all my apps by the end of November with my September score, a couple of my apps were held until my December score arrived.

As for working full time while studying CC, it wasn't so bad - time management is key. The hardest part was mostly just the exhaustion. Since CC can be divided up into little chunks of time (versus requiring ~4 hours for a PT), I would aim to watch a few CC videos when I got home from work and while I ate dinner. I would also do one of the 7sage-created exercises at work during my lunch break.

Since I started studying properly so late in the game, I really don't think I could have been prepared for the September test if I hadn't quit my job. The decision to quit was easy for me - I was working the same job I had started in college, and I was working nonprofit so the pay wasn't great. Working all those hours + low nonprofit pay was not worth the time. Studying for the LSAT has had a MUCH higher payoff than the months of lost wages.

That being said, I think that you have lots of time to study (and even work or volunteer part time). My schedule was condensed more than I would have liked it to be, but if you start now with a slow and steady approach, you will have plenty of time to balance the LSAT + life. I would aim to take the September test, but always know that the December test is your backup! I certainly needed it.

194 karma

@stgl1230 Interesting, I was actually debating whether I should start out with 1 PT a week or 2. Did you feel that 2 PT's a week was a lot to get through? It feels manageable with just BR'ing, but in terms of also going back into the curriculum and fixing weak spots throughout, I was wondering if that ever got hectic. Was that why you found alternating between one and two PT + BR/week a good approach? (I used to do 2-3 PT's a week and burned out very quickly that way.) Also, did you ever take a block of time to just focus on a particular section, i.e. just 2 weeks on games, or did you find that kind of took you off track?

Hahaha sorry for asking like a million questions! I'm pretty much in the phase of your study that you did from July to September 2016, with the exception that instead of doing 7sage CC before that, I had taken TestMasters originally. (I found that they actually taught me quite well, but I'm sure I might have some occasional "gaps" in understanding that will come up and I'll have to supplement with the 7sage CC.)

Thank you so much for breaking your study schedule down for me, I feel like my game plan for these next couple months is finally coming together :)

edited February 2017 821 karma

@monika_p Two PTs a week + BR was totally manageable for me. I watched almost all explanation videos while BRing, too (the only ones I skipped were the first ~5 or so per LR section). I didn't go back into the curriculum too often though. Since I had done literally every aspect of the curriculum right before I jumped into PTing, I didn't need much review.

I didn't take much time off from PTing to do individual sections. I would do it while I was PTing since I was on a tight schedule. For example, I'd take a test on a Monday, BR on a Tuesday, drill some LG sections from tests 1-17 on a Wednesday, maybe drill some RC from 1-17 on a Thursday, take another test on Sunday, etc. Supplementing my PT with sections from old tests was really useful for me, and it may prove even more fruitful to take a few weeks to do them in isolation - you definitely have the time.

I'd definitely recommend taking the next few weeks to go through some of the 7Sage CC before jumping back into PTing. You probably have a decent LSAT foundation from your TestMasters course, but 7Sage teaches some concepts differently than classroom courses and you might find them more useful. For example, the method I was using for games prior to 7Sage was not efficient compared to 7Sage's approach, so I'm really glad that I took the time to go through the curriculum.

No worries with the questions! I really don't mind, 7Sage did wonders for me and I'm happy to share what I've learned!

Edit: another note, food for thought - I didn't do PTs in order. I started with 36, but definitely did not do 37 next. I jumped around quite a bit. Again, since I had a tighter time frame, it was important to me that I covered the late 60s and early 70s PTs before test day and I wouldn't have gotten to them in time if I had gone in order. So I would do 36, then 50, then do like 37, then 68, 69, back down to 45, then to 74, etc. I did about 6-7 retakes (aimed for 180 each time) and made sure that those were all tests in the 70s. I'm not sure what the conventional wisdom is on this, but I'm happy I skipped around. I think it made me more flexible since the test is different across time.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7286 karma

You can mitigate the gap by doing a bit of community service, political activism, etc.

The short answer is that a long resume gap doesn't look good, but if you're recently out of college, it doesn't look that bad, either—and a good LSAT score counts for more than a good resume.

Hope that helps!

194 karma

@stgl1230

Awesome, you've inspired me to give 2 PT's/week a try :) I calculated it out and that puts me at about 30 PT's until the June LSAT (it's technically 37, but being conservative.) That's not including the ~10 I've taken so far.

Do you happen to remember approximately how many you got through? I've heard people say it takes anywhere from 20-35 tests for it to really "click." I don't care too much about counting them religiously or anything; I'll obviously get there when I get there. But I am curious if there are any milestones/breakthroughs that you kind of naturally start to hit after a certain number of PTs?

As for the food for thought, I completely agree, that's pretty much been my strategy as well! Not to mention that the LSAT is coming up with more and more weird games nowadays, so the old tests seem more useful now than ever...

194 karma

Hi @david.busis, thank you so much for your response! That definitely helps. If you are just out of college, how many months of a resume gap would you say requires an addendum explaining it?

• texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma

I think you will be okay! My resume gaps since graduating from college range from 5 months to 10 months ( I have been out since 2012). I have my own reasons for this (eye problems, moving from state to state, etc), but I have yet to read that this will do any significant harm to my chances. I doubt it will do any to yours. Especially since your score will more than compensate for any possibly flaws.

194 karma

thank you @accountformerlyknowasvd1988, that puts my mind at ease a bit :)

821 karma

@monika_p I did about 90% of the PTs 36 -78. Again, definitely use PTs 1-17 for drilling games since, as you noted, they're becoming less formulaic. 1-17 definitely had some odd games.

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    457 karma

@monika_p I figured I would chime in on the 1 vs 2 PTs per week, as this is something that I grappled with myself.

While it is certainly doable to take 2 PTs in a week, I found that it was much more important to have quality BR time than hitting more PTs. While PTing is great for building test-day confidence, it is more valuable for recognizing weaknesses under timed conditions. The BR phase is essential to sussing out those areas where your weaknesses may not be as apparent.

For me, I initially tried to do 2 PTs per week, every week, and I found that I would sometimes rush the BR process. When I did this, I was seeing areas of improvement as my score went up, but my BRing suffered somewhat. More importantly, I was not catching those questions that tripped me up because I missed some key concept. When I didn't take my time, I would either not catch a wrong AC, or I would recognize that my answer was wrong but not take the time to figure out where my mental process went awry because I saw the correct answer.

The secondary phase (for me) of BR is going back to reinforce the fundamentals that were weak on that PT. For any questions that I missed or fixed on BR, I sit down and drill those concepts until they feel ingrained. This way, under timed conditions my cognitive process is more automated, and I also recognize the concepts quickly. When I didn't take the time to figure out exactly what concept I was not using correctly, I was not able to adjust my studying appropriately.

When I wanted to get to a second PT, I would finish BR and study too soon, and I would not always dedicate the time that was necessary to absolutely smash these concepts into my peabrain. As a result, I found myself repeating mistakes under timed conditions.

2 PTs is very doable. Just make sure that you are giving yourself adequate time and attention to each PT in order to glean all of that valuable information post-PT. For me, it became more of a weekly balancing game. I always scheduled enough time to take 2 PTs, but if the first one took a lot of time in the BR and study phase, I didn't push myself to take a 2nd one. Once I stopped trying to pack in as many PTs as I thought I needed in order to score well, I started seeing more improvement in my test skills.

My advice, schedule the time for 2 PTs. If you don't get to the 2nd one, don't sweat it, and try to get to 2 next week. Time dedicated to studying the LSAT is valuable, even if it isn't the content that you expected to work on.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@monika_p said:
    If you don't mind me asking, did you find it difficult to find part-time work specifically? It seems everywhere I look asks for full-time, and I've also been told some places that pay part-time end up basically working you full time, so I was just wondering what that process was like for you!

Actually, I think out of the five places I applied this was the only one that was part time and I was really really interested in this place for obvious reasons. So, it all depends on the availability of part time positions in your area.

I would definitely ask the people who are already working in that place and doing the same job you will be doing about the work environment and hours. Where I work, I really like the fact that no matter what's happening at 5 pm, I have to leave work and go home. I have never been asked to stay or work full time either. It's a small prestigious firm, so although there is great emphasis on the quality of work the environment is definitely more relaxed. The idea at the firm is, tomorrow is another day. Also, there is another girl that works part time there, so the days I am off she works. Because of that, we have never had to work full time.

As far as I can tell, you seem to be lucky enough where you don't need to work. So if you are not currently finding a job that suits your hours- don't take it. When I initially started to look for a job, I was offered another one at an equally good law firm but it was full time and I found out by talking to people there as I was leaving that a lot of them end up working sometimes till 7 pm. I didn't think that was conducive to my LSAT prep so I didn't take that job. I waited another month, till I found the perfect job that could go along with my LSAT prep.

I hope this helps : )

194 karma

@BenjaminSF very eloquently said, and I agree. I found the same issue myself with 1 vs. 2 PT's because I usually liked to spend a couple days drilling the concepts I missed. It seems to be a delicate balance between taking the time to really dissect the logic, while also keeping afloat with practicing your timing/technique under simulated testing conditions

194 karma

@Sami yes i agree! I was offered a position full-time at a company with a really hectic start-up culture (haha California bay area life) and I ultimately knew it just wouldn't work with the LSAT. Going to look into some legal aid volunteering until something else crops up. congrats on finding your happy medium :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"david.busis" nailed it as always! You'll be fine; particularly if you're a recent grad. In the end, LSAT>GPA will be what makes or breaks you, as well as a a well-written personal statement/diversity statement. I was once told by an admissions consultant that they generally spend :30 seconds to a minute glossing over resumes anyway. Literally. I wouldn't worry about it too much and focus on your LSAT.

Now, if you were 29 and had been out of school for 7 years and unemployed, that might be a different story. Even still, like @"david.busis" said above me, one can always volunteer a handful of hours a month or even find a part time gig to fill in the gap.

Source: I know of several people with substantial gaps who were admitted to top schools. Most likely based on numbers alone.

I'm actually leaving my job of 2 years to study full-time in March and I'll have somewhat of a gap of my resume. I figured I'd rather have 5+ more points on my LSAT and a 4-6 month gap I can easily explain away.

Good luck!

194 karma

thanks @"Alex Divine" appreciate the input!