Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switching to paper materials during CC

TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

So I'm finally getting my hands on the earlier PT used in the CC (I have been using the silent videos)...yay me! This is probably a dumb question, but how are y'all timing yourselves with the question sets at the end of each section if y'all are using paper copies since most are in different tests and maybe even books? Seems like it would be hard to get an accurate time measure switching PT books for one question.

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@akeegs92 you would have to time yourself per question. Timing yourself for the question sets would be kind of biased anyway because you won't get 10 of the same question types. Are you trying to finish 10 in 10 or 15 in 15? Something like that?

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

I have just been using the idea that it should take about 1:24 per question and timing myself off of that per set. I didn't know if individually timing each question was a good or bad thing. Thanks!

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    457 karma

@akeegs92 I compiled the questions into printable groups by typing them out. It was tedious, but I was able to time myself in 5-question groups, which gave me an overall idea of when I was slowing down. I now have a binder full of my completed packets.

Maybe you could find each question for a set and put a pencil or sticky note in the book to note the locations. If you have the list of questions, you can just flip to the next one and start it with only minor delay. Then just subtract 5 seconds or so to account for time consumed getting to the next question.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    I have just been using the idea that it should take about 1:24 per question and timing myself off of that per set. I didn't know if individually timing each question was a good or bad thing. Thanks!

So this isn't actually very helpful. Instead, keep time on a stopwatch and record how long each individual question takes you. The reason the 1:24 time isn't a great metric is because there are actually very few questions where you should be taking the average. You need to knock out a lot of questions in 0:40 to 0:60 because many of the curve breakers will take you in excess of 2:00 to 3:00. The under average times buy us what we need for the hardest ones. If you're taking 1:24 on one star questions, that's actually a catastrophe once you get under strict timed conditions--even if you're getting them right. So record your times and then evaluate based on difficulty.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thanks @BenjaminSF and @"Cant Get Right". That sounds a lot better. I guess I was getting caught up in the idea that I needed to do multiple questions together to get my time down. This makes a heck of a lot more sense.

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

hey @"Cant Get Right" your suggestion definitely makes sense.

But wouldn't it be same as BR? Do you mean to say there is little utility in timing the questions in CC, so just BR them and note your BR time? Would really appreciate the response. Thanks in advance.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Hey @"Mo Zubair"

It's still important to time questions. It's just that the 1:24 shouldn't necessarily be your target time. And in the curriculum, it's a little less strict because the exercise is to learn the fundamentals, not pacing. It's just important to be aware that target times for individual questions are much more dynamic than the average of 1:24. It's definitely not the same as BR because you should still be very much concerned with time.