Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting burned out while studying

Harrison_PavHarrison_Pav Alum Member

So while I'm studying for this monster of a test, I sometimes can't tell if I'm getting burned out , or if I'm just not getting it. I'm on strengthening questions currently. When I went through weakening questions, I felt like i grasped the concept fairly easily, but I'm not catching the assumptions nearly as well as I did in the weakening questions as the strengthening questions. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions/diagnosis?

Comments

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

I feel like there is a fine line between frustration and burnout though it varies person to person but I feel like that line hovers around your sense of drive.

Frustration for me usually happens in a case similar to yours. For example, SA questions are the bane of my existence. I would spend hours with mixed results and not feel good about myself, but I still had the drive to keep pushing and figure them out.

Burnout tends to happen when that drive leaves you. You may be struggling with a certain type of question and instead of having that inner voice that keeps motivating you to figure it out, you have no motivation or want to improve or get better. This can also sometimes disguise itself as frustration or even sometimes hopelessness of improving. Again, this is based off my own experiences and may vary person to person.

Regardless, if you are feeling either....you shut the computer off and walk away. If you are just frustrated and are making dumb mistakes that are manifesting in your studying for the day, just stop for the day and go do something fun and relaxing. Trust me the LSAT isn't going anywhere and will be there for you the next day hahaha. If its true burnout, then you need to walk away for more than a day (maybe a couple, maybe even a week; it just depends on what the circumstances are). It is counterproductive to study while feeling burnout because you will simply not care.

I hope this answers your question! I'm almost finished with the CC for the second time so I know the feelings that come with it. Stay strong and keep fighting and know even if it doesn't feel like it, you are getting better day by day!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

For me, burnout always manifested more as indifference to the test. You're going to struggle more/less with different things, and that's fine and to be expected. Burnout is more when you just can't give a shit no matter how hard you try to.

• Harrison_PavHarrison_Pav Alum Member
    218 karma

Thank you! This was helpful. I don't feel like I'm burning out, but this test certainly is not easy!

• jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
    315 karma

I found that I struggled with some things in the core curriculum when I first saw it; but after a couple days, I came back to it and I felt a lot better.

• danielstainkampdanielstainkamp Free Trial Member
    2 karma

have totally wondered the same thing myself, you're not alone! things friends have recommended to me when I get in that headspace: 1. do something to make yourself feel small 2. do something that actually feels fun for you (this is the hardest for me lol) 3. GO OUTSIDE. can't overstate how much of a difference it makes for my studies when i allow myself a couple hours just doing nothing, especially if it's in the sunshine. good luck studying!