Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling with Improvement/What else should I do?

jack.igoejack.igoe Member
in Logic Games 544 karma

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to do regarding getting better with LG. As of right now, I am working through the Powerscore LG Bible. I am struggling with making inferences to basic linear games and am consistently missing at least 1-2 per game of that nature.

I was wondering if I should be going through a different book in conjunction with this program? Also, where would you recommend I start in the course in order to get right into LG. I bought premium access and have the general concepts of logic down from the Powerscore material.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think it might be helpful to start with the lessons in order. Knowing some of the basics will really help with games. One problem I had was jumping right into games myself using the LG Bible and had a very similar problem. LG Bible taught me the basics of linear games, but I found it overly-complicated in its notations/diagramming. Once I started using 7Sage for LG (and everything else) I saw tremendous improvement. If you have the time, I would absolutely recommend going through the course in its entirety. Ultimately, you will get better with repetition when it comes to games. Check out this lesson on fool proofing games: https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-score-on-the-logic-games/

ETA: I actually originally got 7Sage with the intention of just using it for LG, but after watching some webinars decided I would use it for LR and RC too. I think having a full course on video where you can see how JY solves questions in real time is better than any book I've come across.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

That makes sense, is there a spot that you recommend that I start besides the very beginning in order to gain a greater understanding of logic games in general? I don't think I would have the time to do all of the material seeing as though I want to use Manhattan Prep for LR and Powerscore/7Sage for RC.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@jackigoe as mentioned above, I would start from the beginning. Also, have you pinpointed specifically what your issue is regarding linear games? Is it the logic or diagramming itself. Are you diagramming something incorrectly due to a logic flub? If I miss any LG questions I BR just as I would with LR or RC. During BR write why each answer choice is correct or incorrect and also include what was wrong with your diagram, if that was the case. Rinse and repeat until you can get -0 in the suggested timeframe. I think you first have to pinpoint your issue with this particular game type before conquering it. Are you not having issues with the other game types?

544 karma

@tanes256 My previous method that I have been using is going through the Powerscore Bible and doing their drills. I seem to be okay with the diagramming given the initial rules. However, I struggle to make inferences that lead to the other rules that aren't specifically stated. I think the BR would definitely help if I were to keep doing it, however I don't want to eventually run out of material to review.

As for the other games, I haven't moved onto grouping yet as it was the next section in the Powerscore material. I didn't want to move onto it until I felt comfortable with the Linear Games section.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited April 2017 9377 karma

@jackigoe said:
    @tanes256 My previous method that I have been using is going through the Powerscore Bible and doing their drills. I seem to be okay with the diagramming given the initial rules. However, I struggle to make inferences that lead to the other rules that aren't specifically stated. I think the BR would definitely help if I were to keep doing it, however I don't want to eventually run out of material to review.

As for the other games, I haven't moved onto grouping yet as it was the next section in the Powerscore material. I didn't want to move onto it until I felt comfortable with the Linear Games section.

Have you done "Introduction to Logic Games & Sequencing Games" in the Core Curriculum of 7Sage?

I also used Powerscore LG Bible before 7Sage, and I struggled with making inferences too. I actually started 7Sage because I thought I needed a better understanding of LG (after doing Powerscore and LSAT Trainer). And now LG is my strongest section.

• Colin1485Colin1485 Member
    108 karma

As most the other comments already mentioned, you have to work through step by step. LG is a tricky section - What has worked for me, you can perhaps try this:

Purchase the 10 actuals lsat preptests from 42 on to 71 (3 books). On every logic game section, make 7 copies of each game (scan them into the comp and print them out/ sheets of them), watch the 7sage explanation for each game and try to work through games. Starting one at a time, do each game seven times. (7 sage recommends 10 but I was getting the hang of them at 7). Doing this, you will develop a "sense of the games" and game styles. you will see patterns and develop recognition; It is a very dull mechanical process but it gets the results. Ive been doing this for the past 3 months. Not quite -0 but I am getting there. Try to work/memorize 8 games a week if you have time.

Remember not to get too caught up on a certain game type, equally practice them all - This will enable better development of game sense.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jackigoe said:
    That makes sense, is there a spot that you recommend that I start besides the very beginning in order to gain a greater understanding of logic games in general? I don't think I would have the time to do all of the material seeing as though I want to use Manhattan Prep for LR and Powerscore/7Sage for RC.

If that’s the case, I would start with “Introduction to Logic” Lessons with takes ~8 hours with all of the quizzes and drills. Then you can skip to the “Introduction to Logic Games & Sequencing Games.” There are also a few other specific logic games lessons I would check out after you’ve watched those and mastered the games provided in the drills. Once you finish the lessons use PTs 1-35 to fool proof the games. It may take a while, but it is absolutely worth it. With time and repetition, you'll be a LG master in no time and be missing 1-2 per section instead of per game :)

Manhattan Prep LR is actually really good and I recommend it. The new editions (4th & 5th edition) have some good changes that pertain to the newer tests, so if you can afford it, make sure you have one of the newer editions.

However, I think the RC Bible was actually pretty useless and would say to use 7Sage and/or Manhattan RC. I found the RC Bible lacked a good core strategy and was filled with a lot of drills/explanations. I read it and didn't come away with any improvement other than what I gained from the drills inside. 7Sage and Manhattan at least have a systematic way that works to approach every type of RC passage, at least that was my takeaway.

544 karma

@akistotle said:

@jackigoe said:

Have you done "Introduction to Logic Games & Sequencing Games" in the Core Curriculum of 7Sage?

I also used Powerscore LG Bible before 7Sage, and I struggled with making inferences too. I actually started 7Sage because I thought I needed a better understanding of LG (after doing Powerscore and LSAT Trainer). And I now LG is my strongest section.

Did you read through the whole Powerscore and LSAT Trainer before starting 7Sage? I am wary of moving on to a new game type in the Powerscore LG bible without an understanding of Linear Sequencing games.

9377 karma

@jackigoe said:
    Did you read through the whole Powerscore and LSAT Trainer before starting 7Sage?

Yes. But the books didn't really help me.

@jackigoe said:
    I am wary of moving on to a new game type in the Powerscore LG bible without an understanding of Linear Sequencing games.

As @"Alex Divine" suggested, I would recommend starting with “Introduction to Logic” and “Introduction to Logic Games & Sequencing Games.” LG lessons start with Sequencing Games.

Also I would recommend not sticking too much to game categories. Powerscore Bibles neatly categorize everything, and at first that's what I liked about them. But later I realized that hurt my LG ability. The key to LG is to figuring out the right setup because when you see a game on the test, the category is not explicitly stated. LG is about "A Diminishing Number of Possible Worlds" (https://7sage.com/lesson/a-diminishing-number-of-possible-worlds/)! :smile:

You have purchased Ultimate+ so you have the access to "Logic Games Bundle - PrepTests 1-35"!

@Colin1485 said:
    Remember not to get too caught up on a certain game type, equally practice them all - This will enable better development of game sense.

I agree with @Colin1485 !

544 karma

@akistotle said:

@jackigoe said:
    Did you read through the whole Powerscore and LSAT Trainer before starting 7Sage?

Yes. But the books didn't really help me.

@jackigoe said:
    I am wary of moving on to a new game type in the Powerscore LG bible without an understanding of Linear Sequencing games.

As @"Alex Divine" suggested, I would recommend starting with “Introduction to Logic” and “Introduction to Logic Games & Sequencing Games.” LG lessons start with Sequencing Games.

Also I would recommend not sticking too much to game categories. Powerscore Bibles neatly categorize everything, and at first that's what I liked about them. But later I realized that hurt my LG ability. The key to LG is to figuring out the right setup because when you see a game on the test, the category is not explicitly stated. LG is about "A Diminishing Number of Possible Worlds" (https://7sage.com/lesson/a-diminishing-number-of-possible-worlds/)! :smile:

You have purchased Ultimate+ so you have the access to "Logic Games Bundle - PrepTests 1-35"!

@Colin1485 said:

I agree with @Colin1485 !

Thank you so much for the advice. I am working on getting the Intro to Logic section done tonight and then will move on to that other section. I think that I'm going to scrap the Powerscore Books for now and just split my time between 7Sage and drilling earlier practice tests. That seems to be the consensus here!

9377 karma

@jackigoe I'm glad to hear! :smiley:

I think Powerscore works for some people, but they tend to overcomplicate things....So if you are struggling with making inferences, 7Sage is the best in my opinion.