Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

starting over?

kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
in General 115 karma

Hey guys!
I recently pushed back my intended LSAT date to September (I was registered for the June test) after talking to a pre-law advisor. I purchased the basic package here at 7sage when I originally started studying (early March) and the LSAT Trainer. I plan on upgrading my course to the premium package so I can get some more practice and problems. Would you guys suggest starting from scratch with about 4 months until the September test, or continuing on from where I'm at?

BACKSTORY: I'm back to studying after taking all of April off to weigh my options. I'm newly post-grad with an MA and the idea of 3 more years of school killed me softly. But after taking a few weeks and thinking it over, I'd regret not at least TAKING the lsat seeing as how I've already paid for it...I was forcing myself to study for 6 hours a day with few breaks and nothing was sinking in. I glazed over the diagramming sections, telling myself when the test came, "You won't have time to do any of that anyway. Memorize necessary and sufficient terms? Nope. Not useful. Learn to diagram? Waste of time." I took my first proctored practice test and BOMBED IT. And so here I am....

And so, I'm back. Not surprisingly, I'm doing problem sets and getting an embarrassing majority incorrect (especially with the LG).
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Hey there!

As someone who originally started studying about a year ago and decided to stop after a month and restart later, I would suggest starting over from scratch.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited April 2017 23929 karma

If you bombed your first test, I would start fresh with 7Sage and hold off on full practice tests until you've gone through the 7sage curriculum.

• allanisraelallanisrael Alum Member
    98 karma

@tringo335 and @"Alex Divine" - Thats the best advice that can ever be given. @kH573201 there is no need to be in a haste really. I would suggest shifting the LSAT date to December, take time and understand the core content and work your way from there. If you expect that with some stroke of genius you"ll score high on the practice tests let alone on the exam proper, that'd be a joke. Trust me, i learnt the hard way.
    You also need to focus on what is at hand- maybe youre not understanding the practice questions or maybe youre being distracted by other things. You'll get there eventually!

• LsatbreakingnewsLsatbreakingnews Alum Member
    392 karma

LSAT logic and reasoning was so foreign to me the first time around, I hadn't seen anything like it. So, I started over and the second time around concepts are actually making sense.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@allanisrael said:
    @tringo335 and @"Alex Divine" - Thats the best advice that can ever be given. @kH573201 there is no need to be in a haste really. I would suggest shifting the LSAT date to December, take time and understand the core content and work your way from there. If you expect that with some stroke of genius you"ll score high on the practice tests let alone on the exam proper, that'd be a joke. Trust me, i learnt the hard way.
    You also need to focus on what is at hand- maybe youre not understanding the practice questions or maybe youre being distracted by other things. You'll get there eventually!

I completely agree with this. If you are serious about getting into law school and really wanting to do well, do not rush the process. I would even push it back to next year if you find that December is too early. Don't be afraid to take your time.

• kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
    115 karma

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I want to take it this year for sure though.

• Colin1485Colin1485 Member
    edited May 2017 108 karma

The lsat is a learnable test. Utilizing 7sage program, the lsat trainer and LG bible from Powerscore can get you very far! I have gone from the low 140s to 160s in 6 months of full time study (5 to 7 hours a day). I would recommend that you go shadow an attorney though. Just to verify you really want to endure the profession, another 3 years of school - especially professional school with ridiculous cost of schooling.

Good luck!

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    656 karma

Hey!

Welcome to 7Sage! Although it sounds like a long and exhausting road, I myself, have recently come to accept the fact that the only way to get ahead with this test would be to start over. I say this because I had to learn the hard way. Don't think of it as taking steps back...it's the only way to reformulate your thinking patterns to be able to adapt to the test format and crush the LSAT. Chances are, over the past month you've lost a good portion of what you think you remember since its not on the forefront of your mind. I studied super full time exhaustively because I thought I could cram and get a decent score. I studied for under two months with the most consolidated test material on the market (to my knowledge), the LSAT Trainer, before taking the official exam (scored horrible...147). Then, I tried to pick back up where I left off in terms of studying (PT-ing) and eventually discovered that score improvement would be impossible without having developed more solid skills and habits to approach the test. I was very dejected and burned out fast following my last bout of studying and I received my scores three months ago with a rather misdirected approach to studying. So, don't despair, you have time to improve. But reassess again nearer to the withdrawal date for September if necessary...December or even February (though a long ways away) are still good options because, as I have learned from my fellow 7Sager's (thank you all!) that it's best to take it when you feel prepared. In my case, I like planning ahead and seeing exactly when the end of the road with studying will come, though the peace of mind that comes with feeling prepared (instead of just knowing that it's a countdown to a time to take the test) is absolutely necessary in order for you to do well.

The background knowledge you form is an integral part of score improvement. You cannot PT and review without good direction because if you don't have a clear path to understanding what you are doing wrong, you will be stuck in a very depressive, exhausting, and time-wasting cycle of only having fragmented ideas of why an answer choice is wrong, without any cohesion (you need to have solid skills on all questions types in all sections) to be able to apply that insight the next time around.

Anyhow, my initial approach to the test was very much like yours---it feels like a big jumble. From what I have seen so far in my short time with 7Sage which I will be purchasing Premium soon myself, is that they provide a nice trajectory and direction of working towards something. The Trainer is a fine supplement, but beware--navigate through it at a steady pace. It's a lot of information crammed into one book---I went through the entire thing, with a binder full of color-coded notes to prove--just take it slowly. It is not in itself a finite studying entity.

But I guarantee you, that if you won't be willing to put forth the effort into really adequately preparing for the exam, will be worth the journey and the end result (a score that you are proud of, and on to the next steps of the admissions process).

I do admit, that like you, at times, I have felt that memorizing appears to be an inoperative approach. Recalling things from memory while also tackling 23+ questions in 35 minutes seems like a waste of time...but if you don't form an understanding, your scores will not increase. That is what has deterred me from the Powerscore Bibles. Translating from theory to practice is more than memorizing, though, its about getting your brain to think in terms of LSAT logic so that whats in your mind becomes second nature in application, and it is definitely a process (and hence, I think, why 7Sage advocates delaying tests until you personally feel prepared). You have to understand the test. You don't need to memorize everything, but you do need to have a solid understanding of it. That comes with consistently studying, so I would advise starting over from the beginning with 7Sage, even if you do navigate quickly through the material you've already passed. The program (and the Trainer) take a building-block approach, where your understanding at every point is crucial to the next step. So by starting over, you would actually be propelling ahead, and accumulating a solid base before moving into PTs.

I am starting over for the fourth time with my studying. The past three times, I've crashed and burned each time. My advice? Don't be like me. I sincerely wish you all the best at it this time around! Looking forward to working with you!

P.S. I notice that you mentioned that you recently received an MA...congrats!

• kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
    115 karma

Thank you all so much for your comments. They've been a big help. This community is truly an awesome thing! I've taken all of your advice. I just purchased the Premium course...I'm excited to start!