Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mac runs hot while using 7Sage... help

ScienceB tchScienceB tch Member
edited May 2017 in Technical Problems 9 karma

Whenever I run the 7Sage page on my Mac laptop it seems to randomly heat my computer up to the point where the fans are running at full speed and the laptop is hot to the touch. At first I thought it was caused by something else, so I spent some time clearing up memory, checking browser extensions, "turn it off and back on again", etc. The problem kept occurring, but only when I was on the 7Sage website working through the lessons. If I exit 7Sage, the laptop fans slow down and the internal temperature drops back down again almost instantly.
Just wondering if anyone else out there with a Mac laptop has this happen to them on the 7Sage page, and if so, is it normal? Do you know how to get my laptop to calm down?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

Seems weird. This only tends to happen when I play games on Mac and mine is from 2012.

Turn down the brightness on your screen. Close other browser tabs and windows, as well as other programs, especially big programs like Mail, iTunes and Photoshop. I usually leave Word and Preview open and that's it.

Only thing else I can recommend is to clear cache and then try another browser if that doesn't work.

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

I use 7Sage everyday on my Mac laptop and have never experienced this. Not sure why it's happening on yours. Have you tried using different browsers?

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited May 2017 2301 karma

That does seem strange. Can you tell us more info? What model of Mac are you on, what OS are you running, and what browser are you using?

There are a couple of things you could try. First, open up Activity Monitor (built-in application on Mac) while the 7Sage video is running and see what it says. That will tell you all the programs that are running and how much memory they are using up. You might have a rouge program sucking up system resources. Also, you might just have too many programs open at once. The way Macs work is that when you click the X button to close a program, it actually just minimizes it and does not actually quit the program (you have to usually select quit to do that). This means a lot of Mac users have more programs running than they think they do.

If you see that it is in fact your internet browser that is sucking up all your system resources, you should clear your cache and repeat the above steps. If it is still causing problems, try a different browser. I use Chrome, but I have heard Firefox works well. You might be using Safari. I am not sure how well that works with 7Sage. Chrome and Firefox are available for Macs.

Please let us know if this helps. Good luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Is it an older mac? And what are your specs?

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

If you're using Google Chrome to access 7sage this can cause your Mac to get hot. Chrome eats through your system on a Mac (poorly optimized for it) and this is exacerbated by websites that use video players like 7sage's. I had this problem too but it was less to do with the heat and more to do with the noise of the fans working over-time in the library. Try Firefox or Safari and I'd wager it doesn't get quite so bad! To test this theory you can open up the Mac Activity Monitor and look at the difference between watching 7sage in Chrome vs. Firefox, checking CPU usage and Memory usage in particular.

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

I have the same issue on mine. I'll be sure to try what others have recommended here, thanks a bunch!
    Mine is a macbook pro mid 2014 model? 2.6Ghz intel core i5 , whatever the hell that means.. not a tech guy haha

• -ObbuddO--ObbuddO- Alum Member
    236 karma

My computer does it too, glad to see someone who has the same issue...mine was an Air from Mid 2012, 2GHz Intel Core i7, it was not that hot before I upgraded to the10.12.4 version, I don't know if it has anything to do with my computer being too old.
    Anyway, just don't touch the hot part and keep flammable materials away, I think we'll be fine.

• ScienceB tchScienceB tch Member
    9 karma

Thanks for all the responses! It is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) with a 2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, OS version 10.12.4. I recently cleaned out a bunch of useless files, freeing up more memory (which seems to have helped some), then when I accessed the Activity Monitor while using 7Sage on Google Chrome it showed a huge portion of the CPU was being used by "Google Chrome Helper" (not quite sure why, going to investigate how to get rid of that).
    I seem to have better luck using Firefox, but it will still randomly turn the fans on full blast and have a little "freak out", then after a few minutes it quiets down and goes back to normal.
    I've made sure that all other applications/programs are closed while running 7Sage, as having anything else open really heats my Mac up.

Thanks for all your help! It seems to have 90% solved the problem. :smiley:
    I think my laptop will live on! :blush:

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"ScienceB tch" said:
    Thanks for all the responses! It is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) with a 2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, OS version 10.12.4. I recently cleaned out a bunch of useless files, freeing up more memory (which seems to have helped some), then when I accessed the Activity Monitor while using 7Sage on Google Chrome it showed a huge portion of the CPU was being used by "Google Chrome Helper" (not quite sure why, going to investigate how to get rid of that).
    I seem to have better luck using Firefox, but it will still randomly turn the fans on full blast and have a little "freak out", then after a few minutes it quiets down and goes back to normal.
    I've made sure that all other applications/programs are closed while running 7Sage, as having anything else open really heats my Mac up.

Thanks for all your help! It seems to have 90% solved the problem. :smiley:
    I think my laptop will live on! :blush:

If you're doing the curriculum lessons you could try using the youtube links instead of the 7sage hosted video player. Idk which you use obviously, but if this applies it's worth a shot. Also, if google chrome helper is using a lot of memory, you can try disabling or updating your plugins. An out of date plugin can cause chrome to go wonkers.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    If you're doing the curriculum lessons you could try using the youtube links instead of the 7sage hosted video player.

Only the LG videos have YouTube links :P

From what I've seen Chrome is bad for Mac. Had a lot of reports of computers crashing and/or heating up with it. :( Solution is to use Safari or Firefox, unfortunately. Sorry guys.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:

@Mellow_Z said:
    If you're doing the curriculum lessons you could try using the youtube links instead of the 7sage hosted video player.

Only the LG videos have YouTube links :P

From what I've seen Chrome is bad for Mac. Had a lot of reports of computers crashing and/or heating up with it. :( Solution is to use Safari or Firefox, unfortunately. Sorry guys.

Haha whoops. I could have logically came to that conclusion.. I prefer the 7sage inlaid one anyway since running those bad boys at 2x is so much more efficient.

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

I'm a little late to the party but I looked this up because I'm having the same issue. Last night I was with a friend studying, and I couldn't hear anything because I was wearing noise-cancelling headphones. Eventually my friend just looked up and said "I think your computer is about to explode." I took off my headphones and my laptop fans were on FULL blast; truly sounded like every single app was running on my computer + World of Warcraft. I'll take these tips into consideration too.

• amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma

The roaring fans just add another layer of anxiety in my case lol

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Sorry guys, this is a tough one. We haven't been able to reproduce it on our end (both J.Y. and Alan have a Mac, I do not) so it's a bit hard to pinpoint. I've heard people say that FireFox helps with this issue since Chrome is a huuuuge memory hog, especially on Mac.

@kshutes13 said:
    truly sounded like every single app was running on my computer + World of Warcraft.

Better be Horde...

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

This same thing happened to me after about 4h of studying. I am going to try safari and see how it goes.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2017 13286 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Sorry guys, this is a tough one. We haven't been able to reproduce it on our end (both J.Y. and Alan have a Mac, I do not) so it's a bit hard to pinpoint. I've heard people say that FireFox helps with this issue since Chrome is a huuuuge memory hog, especially on Mac.

@kshutes13 said:
    truly sounded like every single app was running on my computer + World of Warcraft.

Better be Horde...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e1/bf/14/e1bf1433d3a6b6c32a235289a0cefc1f--word-of-warcraft-warcraft-art.jpg