Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admissions Cycle

jreynoldsjreynolds Core Member

So I'm currently studying for the September LSAT, but wondering if the December one would be too late to take when it comes to the admissions process. Would it be better to take the September LSAT because it is right when the admissions cycle opens up?

Comments

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Take both! September means you apply earlier, December is your backup. Either way you're studying, not like studying for September will screw you up for December. Good luck

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jreynolds said:
    So I'm currently studying for the September LSAT, but wondering if the December one would be too late to take when it comes to the admissions process. Would it be better to take the September LSAT because it is right when the admissions cycle opens up?

Study for a score and not just a specific date. It's always going to be advantageous to apply with a higher score in December than a lower score in September.

@Kewlaidd said:
    Take both! September means you apply earlier, December is your backup. Either way you're studying, not like studying for September will screw you up for December. Good luck

I don't necessarily agree with the just "take both" mindset. It's nice to have a back up and if you decide you're ready for September then take it and have December for a back up. However, if you haven't reached your goal score by September don't risk having a bad score on your record. Though many schools claim they only take the highest score, it doesn't mean they just write-off any prior lower scores.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Core Member
    2983 karma

Take the test when you are ready. If that means taking it in December then so be it. If that is the case, just make sure to have all of your other application materials prepared so you can apply when scores come out in early January. You don't want to have to be applying near the deadline because you didn't complete your essays or have your LORs in the system.

• jzzravenjzzraven Alum Member
    140 karma

If you retake the exam in December, should you wait until after you've received the new score to apply? Or should you submit before, with the old score, and somehow note that a new score is forthcoming?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I mean it is and it isn't. It's much better to get the best score you can, obviously. But it's even more ideal if you can get the best score you can and apply by thanksgiving.