Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statment

smseraj3smseraj3 Alum Member

Hey guys quick question. I want to write a diversity statement on my occupation. For the past 3 years I have coached my highschool's debate team, started a coaching company, and coached a college team (volunteer). I want to tell schools that I will be actively involved in whatever form of debate they offer, even if it means coaching their undergrad teams/clubs.

Any ideas on how to structure this? Its a huge passion of mine and all over my resume, but wanted to give the admissions committee more information about the person I am.

Thanks

Comments

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

Hi @smseraj3,

That passion can make for a great statement. However, that sounds a little more like a personal statement than a diversity statement. Diversity statements are usually about a quality you have that is underrepresented at law school and will thus add to the diversity of the student body. Examples, include ethnic minority, low income, non-traditional student (older or homeschooled), and other unique traits that are underrepresented.

A lot of people in law school have ties to debate teams. I think it could still make an incredible personal statement and I encourage you to pursue it. However, it does not seem to fit the diversity statement description, and thus might hurt you if you try to pass it off as one. That being said, I am no expert and could be wrong. I am just basing this on what I have read from various law school admissions guides. @"david.busis" can provide more experienced advice.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I agree with Daniel, I'm not sure that this topic would necessarily warrant a diversity statement. Debate is obviously something that means a lot to you so I would advise that you craft your personal statement about it instead if that is possible.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    I agree with Daniel, I'm not sure that this topic would necessarily warrant a diversity statement. Debate is obviously something that means a lot to you so I would advise that you craft your personal statement about it instead if that is possible.

I'll second, or perhaps third this idea. I think for me, at least from what you've written, it reads more like a PS then a DS. It's a really neat idea. Congrats on your achievements!

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7292 karma

Jumping on the bandwagon here. @"Daniel.Sieradzki" put it well. This sounds like a PS or no-go.

Remember that the DS is actually optional, and that it's better to forgo the essay than to risk annoying the adcom.

• smseraj3smseraj3 Alum Member
    162 karma

Thanks everyone. Any advice on how to tell colleges that I want to coach their debate teams? @"david.busis"

7292 karma

I'm not sure you should say that in your law school application. Just highlight your experience on your résumé!

162 karma

@"david.busis"

but don't you think it would give me some sort of advantage. It would be something I could do for the school (to show im more than a student that gets good grades)

162 karma
    7292 karma

Honestly, no—I don't think it will give you an advantage. For one thing, law school admissions officers aren't really incentivized to care about college debate teams. For another thing, you won't know if they need a debate coach, or if they're looking for the kind of thing you can provide. But by far the most important point is your ability to enhance undergraduate life just won't weigh much compared to the important things: whether your numbers will boost/preserve the school's medians; whether your essays make you seem interesting and capable and self-aware; whether you'll contribute to law school's diversity.