Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watches that don't tick loudly

sandypantssandypants Alum Member
in General 231 karma

Hello! I've been practicing timing with a Timex watch but I find that the seconds hand ticks waaaay too loudly for my peace of mind. I can usually zone it out but I'd rather not have to focus on doing that. My current watch also lacks a bezel so I want to rectify that situation as well. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a watch (with a bezel) where the seconds hand doesn't tick loudly? Preferably silently? Trying not to spend too much $ here but also want a solid watch for test day. I also don't care if it's a men's or women's watch, how it looks doesn't really matter to me as long as the face/numbers/hands are clear.

Comments

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVP0FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This watch comes highly recommended by a few 7sagers. I love it. It's silent and built like a tank.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Yeah, the above watch is recommended a lot on here.

If you go to a store though, you will probably spend a while holding watches to your ear like a weirdo looking for a somewhat quiet one. this was me a year ago, haha, it worked out though

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    231 karma

@Freddy_D Thank you so much for the link!

@TheMikey That's a good idea too! Do you know/remember what watch you ended up getting?

4196 karma

@sandypants said

@TheMikey That's a good idea too! Do you know/remember what watch you ended up getting?

I don't, I actually ended up losing it after the test lol sorry.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I also use the one that @Freddy_D mentioned above. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVP0FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's great and doesn't make a peep!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Yea. I'm fed up with my loud ticker too. Just bought it. Seems like all of my money goes towards watches, printer paper, pencils, and erasers these days.

• KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
    332 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    Yea. I'm fed up with my loud ticker too. Just bought it. Seems like all of my money goes towards watches, printer paper, pencils, and erasers these days.

Ive literally bought like 5 sharpeners man. I feel you

• LsatandchillLsatandchill Member
    78 karma

Do you guys have any comments on this boy?
    The 180Watch - LSAT Prep Watch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JML2IHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GfhOzbYJ0YRXJ

4196 karma

@Pikachuto180 said:
    The 180Watch - LSAT Prep Watch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JML2IHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GfhOzbYJ0YRXJ

DO NOT BUY THAT.

LSAC just recently banned watches like the 180 watch and mastermind watch (similar to 180 watch)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Pikachuto180 said:

Basically useless now that the LSAC has recently banned them :( I want my money back!

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

@"marvin.dike" said:

@jkatz1488 said:

Ive literally bought like 5 sharpeners man. I feel you

Have you bought the KUM Longpoint Sharpener that's identical to the Palomino branded one? It's the best sharpener I've used and has lasted for thousands of sharpenings.

@Freddy_D said:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVP0FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This watch comes highly recommended by a few 7sagers. I love it. It's silent and built like a tank.

This is more of a general question than one directly about this watch, but how precise are the test administrators with time, and how can one precisely set an analog watch like this?

Like, will the LSAT administrator wait for the second hand to hit '12' before letting you start, or might they potentially start your time mid-minute, cutting you up to 59 seconds short?

Do they use standardized/internet time, or whatever is on the wall/their wrist? How can I set the watch to precisely match that mark so I'm not selling myself short or falsely giving myself extra time on my watch?

2983 karma

@AJordanMD. I know @TheMikey has taken the test before, so maybe he can answer your question about the time setting protocol.

4196 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    @AJordanMD. I know @TheMikey has taken the test before, so maybe he can answer your question about the time setting protocol.

Hey!

Yeah, so the 2 times I have taken the test the proctors had an electronic timer up front, but we couldn't see it, only they can.

whether the proctor starts before you can reset your watch to the 12 mark is dependent on the proctor. some start the next section fast, some will give you a bit of time between sections (like 15-30 seconds). it just depends on who you get as a proctor.

Just use a watch like the one you posted and set it to the 12 mark and let the time go whenever the proctor tells you to start.

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    231 karma

Thanks everyone for your input! I got the casio watch @Freddy_D recommended. Hopefully it won't be too gigantic on my wrist but worst case I can poke a new hole in the band or something. Really excited to start studying with the watch so I can be ready for test day!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@sandypants said:
    Thanks everyone for your input! I got the casio watch @Freddy_D recommended. Hopefully it won't be too gigantic on my wrist but worst case I can poke a new hole in the band or something. Really excited to start studying with the watch so I can be ready for test day!

It might be easier to set it on the desk besides you so you don't have to keep looking at your wrist. That's what I do and it works well :)

Good luck! I have the same cheap casio and love it!

4196 karma

I second the putting it on the desk and not your wrist method. so much easier

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

I use Daniel Wellington and it's super quite.

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

@Pikachuto180 said:

I spoke to LSAC about my Mastermind watch - that is virtually the same - and a LSAC rep said they were banned. I also asked the rep if LSAC had a list of accepted watches or a list of banned watches, and they said no.... typical, they create a rule and give no guidance. Their best advice was to take a picture of it, email it to them, and perhaps you will hear back in a couple of weeks.... Just get a watch - like the Casio one that everyone is recommending - and be safe about it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@nevadacity37 said:

@Pikachuto180 said:

I spoke to LSAC about my Mastermind watch - that is virtually the same - and a LSAC rep said they were banned. I also asked the rep if LSAC had a list of accepted watches or a list of banned watches, and they said no.... typical, they create a rule and give no guidance. Their best advice was to take a picture of it, email it to them, and perhaps you will hear back in a couple of weeks.... Just get a watch - like the Casio one that everyone is recommending - and be safe about it.

I sent a similar inquiry to LSAC about 10 weeks ago and never heard back ... I suppose a good rule of thumb is that if its a chronograph type watch it's banned.

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    edited August 2017 163 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@nevadacity37 said:

@Pikachuto180 said:

I sent a similar inquiry to LSAC about 10 weeks ago and never heard back ... I suppose a good rule of thumb is that if its a chronograph type watch it's banned.

I get the feeling even LSAC doesn't really know what their policy is entirely. This was evident that they couldn't tell me what is banned specifically and what isn't. I asked if they would have a list, and the rep spoke to their supervisor, and said that the would have a list posted by September LSAC. But that list is no where to be found to-date. The only "rule" or "guideline" they could really give me was: 1) the watch must function to tell time - meaning, if the watch only functions to show section time, then that type or brand of watch may very well be banned. Of course, I am seeing some people that claim that watches that do this have been stated by LSAC to be okay, so this rule or guideline seems porous. And secondly, all the previous rules about watches still apply - non-digital, etc. But because their policy seems to be unclear even to reps at LSAC headquarters, I can imagine that this uncertainty is probably going to be even worse with individual LSAC proctors and staff at testing sites the day of. Hence, in my opinion, it is best to just get a watch that you know for certain is allowable.
    To note, I asked what the reason was for the policy change. The rep said that people with these watches that only tell section time - and watches in particular like the one I had (Mastermind) - were arguing and debating how much time was allotted/ claiming the proctors were ending sections too soon. Apparently people were bickering and arguing over seconds. Thus, you abuse a privilege and LSAC taketh away that privilege.
    Of course, LSAC doesn't have enough sense to make sure that all rooms in which the LSAT is administered has a clock on the wall that is visible to all. That would make too much sense (ironic from an institution that is testing your logic and hanging your choice of law schools on it).

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@nevadacity37 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@nevadacity37 said:

@Pikachuto180 said:

I get the feeling even LSAC doesn't really know what their policy is entirely. This was evident that they couldn't tell me what is banned specifically and what isn't. I asked if they would have a list, and the rep spoke to their supervisor, and said that the would have a list posted by September LSAC. But that list is no where to be found to-date. The only "rule" or "guideline" they could really give me was: 1) the watch must function to tell time - meaning, if the watch only functions to show section time, then that type or brand of watch may very well be banned. Of course, I am seeing some people that claim that watches that do this have been stated by LSAC to be okay, so this rule or guideline seems porous. And secondly, all the previous rules about watches still apply - non-digital, etc. But because their policy seems to be unclear even to reps at LSAC headquarters, I can imagine that this uncertainty is probably going to be even worse with individual LSAC proctors and staff at testing sites the day of. Hence, in my opinion, it is best to just get a watch that you know for certain is allowable.
    To note, I asked what the reason was for the policy change. The rep said that people with these watches that only tell section time - and watches in particular like the one I had (Mastermind) - were arguing and debating how much time was allotted/ claiming the proctors were ending sections too soon. Apparently people were bickering and arguing over seconds. Thus, you abuse a privilege and LSAC taketh away that privilege.
    Of course, LSAC doesn't have enough sense to make sure that all rooms in which the LSAT is administered has a clock on the wall that is visible to all. That would make too much sense (ironic from an institution that is testing your logic and hanging your choice of law schools on it).

Yeah -- It's definitely unnerving when there's not a clear policy that I can check my watch up against. They should just pass out mini stop watches or timers and settle all the BS once and for all.

4196 karma

Or they should just stop being idiots and banning things for bullshit reasons lol

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

LOL so their reasoning was: "people might be telling time more accurately than our proctors. Therefore, let's ban those accurate watches!"

• DByrne07DByrne07 Core Member
    279 karma

Can I bring more than one watch into the test?

4196 karma

@DByrne07 said:

yeah

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@DByrne07 said:

I'm planning on bringing two because I'm paranoid my battery is going to die!

2983 karma

Shout out to the paranoid people! I will also be bringing more than one.

279 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

I emailed LSAC - they said only ONE watch....

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@DByrne07 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

WTF! I know someone who brought 3 watches last administration, or so he said.

• lawschool33lawschool33 Member
    100 karma

This is the one I got! The numbers are big, the strap is comfortable,and the tick is almost silent. Plus, it's pretty cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GB0G7A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

It's subjective. Depends on your proctor.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

It's subjective. Depends on your proctor.

Ahhh! Why am I not surprised :neutral:

279 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

If I bring more than one.... would I be denied admission? Or just told to throw the other two away?

279 karma

I ordered three watches..... So, I'm bringing three for sure

4196 karma

yeah I think it depends on proctors. if they're chill, they may not give a crap as long as you probably just don't have all 3 out at once, of course.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@DByrne07 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@DByrne07 said:

If I bring more than one.... would I be denied admission? Or just told to throw the other two away?

I have absolutely no idea. I believe, as Dillon stated, this is a rule left up to the proctors discretion. For now I guess I'll plan on wearing one on my arm and have one to lay on the desk. If I have to throw one away, so be it. I'm too anxious to go without a backup lol