Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My professors don't know me...

celina697celina697 Alum Member

So, I plan on applying this cycle. However, I've come to the realization that I haven't really connected with any of my professors. I've always gotten pretty good grades in college, but haven't ever really gone to my professors for help or just to talk in general. I understand I need a letter of recommendation from at least one of them. What should I do?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@celina697 said:
    So, I plan on applying this cycle. However, I've come to the realization that I haven't really connected with any of my professors. I've always gotten pretty good grades in college, but haven't ever really gone to my professors for help or just to talk in general. I understand I need a letter of recommendation from at least one of them. What should I do?

If you're still in college it's never too late to make connections. Schedule a time to talk to them during office hours and let them know who you are and your plans of applying to law school. See if one of them may need a research assistant or even just someone to feed scantrons into the grading machine. Even if they say no, they'll remember you offered. If you're just starting to get to know them now, chances are it's probably too late to forge an amazing connection before you need the letters, but a meaningful connection will be a whole lot more preferable than no connection when it comes time to ask.

Try to find a professor whose class required you to write so they can speak to your good writing and research skills. This way you can provide a paper you did well on as a writing sample to jog their memory. It may also be helpful to speak to a prof that you've taken multiple classes in. The fact you've gotten good grades in all your classes will make it easier to get that good LOR.

Good luck :)

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

Ask anyway, it's possible they know more about you and your academic work than you realize. Especially those you've taken multiple classes from or teach in your majors school. The first time I applied to grad school I asked one I only took one class from and never interacted with, but he was still willing and wrote a good one. I'd especially focus on those that taught smaller classes (10ish people) if you took any of those. If you're still in school, get to know one you're taking a class from right now, there is plenty of time to make an impression in the first few months of class to get one before applications are due.

• Leena300Leena300 Alum Member
    85 karma

I was also in a similar situation, as I did not know my professors really well and kind of just went to class, wrote their tests and went to office hours every here and there. I started emailing profs I got really good grades in, and did have a few reject me as they did not know me which is understandable, however, I was able to get 2 professors, and i believe you will be able to as well because most profs genuinely would like to help out as many students as they can. Obviously, having a professor that knows you really well is a bonus, however, I still believe you will get some effort from any professor who agrees to write one. Start from there and see how it goes.

• needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    175 karma

I asked two and two of them did not know me at all(but I got really high grades in those classes). One just asked for my PS which i didn't have at the time so I sent her my PS outline, the other asked me to meet and I just talk non-stop for an hour. Profs usually are not surprised when students ask them for LOR, and they are pretty willing to write you one if you get good grades in their classes(not sure about other uni but thats the case in mine)

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Try to make connections now. And to my understanding, most schools require at least 2 LORs, not 1.

But yeah, try to make connections. Pretend to be very interested in their material, kiss ass but in a non-kiss ass way if that makes sense at all. I got a good bond going with a prof my final semester because I needed another LOR. you can do it, just make shit up to try and be more engaged with them either before, during or after class haha

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

also, try contacting profs you got really good grades in. when you contact them, remind them of the class and grade you got and why you'd like them to write you a LOR. I did for one of my profs who I had 2 times in 1 semester, barely spoke to her but I got great grades in both classes and asked her for a LOR and she gave me one.