Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Plan for 170+

vanessaogbeidevanessaogbeide Alum Member
in General 32 karma

Hey guys

I've been grinding through the curriculum for the past two months and am on track to finish by the end of September. I was wondering if someone has in their possession a study plan for me to use that they personally STRICTLY abided by in order to maximize their learning. I will be sitting for the December LSAT and I would like to take as many practice tests as I can and drill as much as I can. I have all of the tests on record and the cambridge packets (for drilling my weak spots) in my possession. I just want to study as efficiently as possible.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@necessarily said:
    Hey guys

I've been grinding through the curriculum for the past two months and am on track to finish by the end of September. I was wondering if someone has in their possession a study plan for me to use that they personally STRICTLY abided by in order to maximize their learning. I will be sitting for the December LSAT and I would like to take as many practice tests as I can and drill as much as I can. I have all of the tests on record and the cambridge packets (for drilling my weak spots) in my possession. I just want to study as efficiently as possible.

Thanks guys!

So, my advice would be to spend a tremendous amount of time upfront learning & completely mastering the most fundamental basics. The lessons on Lawgic, Valid/Invalid argument forms, Grammar, and how to approach each question type. You'll also want to fool proof games until you are at -0. It's a lot of work, but it is completely worth it.

I think mastering those is sufficient for getting you into the 160-165 range. Now as far as the rest is concerned, well, I think then you're just looking for a silver bullet. There unfortunately is no study plan to get you into the 170 range. I've taken many courses, bought every LSAT book, emailed every expert, etc. I've truly found that the best approach is to go through the core curriculum, memorize and learn what JY recommends, and then PT/Blind review/and address your weaknesses after each test.

The biggest piece of advice is probably to not fall into the mindset that doing a bunch of PTs will or drilling by type will necessarily make you better. Each time I take a PT, afterwords I review the test and work on each of my specific weaknesses. I might spend 2-3 weeks between tests reviewing, but I've seen nothing but an upward trend. This not only ensures I am indeed improving, it also helps to keep my confidence and motivation going!

In short, the study plan that got me to where I am is the 7Sage Ultimate + package. I went through and drilled all of the corresponding easy, medium, and difficult problem sets. I am drilling the LG bundle which has proved immensely helpful, and having all of the video explanations to watch afterwards is probably what I find THE most helpful.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27841 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    The biggest piece of advice is probably to not fall into the mindset that doing a bunch of PTs will or drilling by type will necessarily make you better.

Second.

Here's my webinar on how to go about this which elaborates my view on your question in much more detail than I can manage in a comment:

https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

It probably depends on your strengths.

To get a 172 on the February test I drilled logic games, went through the Powerscore Bible, and did PT's as much as I could for 3 weeks.

Since I didn't finish the games when I got my 172, to try to add just a couple more points, I went through the core curriculum in about a week and a half, and then foolproofed games for the rest of the summer (with mixed success on PT's). It seems to have paid off on the real test where I finished the (by all accounts fairly easy) games section. I took at least two PT's a week all summer usually back to back on Saturday and blind reviewed them. I'll find out if it all paid off by the twelfth of October when scores are set to be released.

For the foolproofing I went with the Pacifico method, printing four of each game, doing one section of them each day, watching the video explanations, redoing them, redoing the ones from the day before, and redoing the one's from the week before. This definitely improved my logic games ability, but I still can struggle to finish so the ease of the games on the September test was a relief.

I started out essentially perfect on LR. If that does not describe you, I would imagine you would want to drill it in some manner. But, just as you shouldn't get too used to knowing what type of games question is coming don't practice exclusively on one type of LR question at a time for too long.

I think 7sage is weakest on reading comp, but I didn't really get a chance to go through the full curriculum in its new order. I'm already okay at this section so I tried to ride that, but it could have come back to bite me on the test. We'll have to see.

Anyways, assess your strengths and weaknesses and plan from there. For me this was easy. Logic games except single layer linear sequencing games were my weakness. They still are hundereds of hours of practice later, but not by as much.