Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Review Method

sakox010sakox010 Member
in General 333 karma

Hi, so I've been blind reviewing for a while now and completely understand what it is. In the past, when I take a PT, what I have done is printed off two copies and taken the PT under timed conditions with a random 5th section. Afterwards I would do the PT on the second copy untimed without having the answers from my first timed attempt in front of me since that can sometimes mess with me psychologically in various ways.

However, I've started to wonder if it would be better to BR by passage/game for RC and LG and by section for LR rather than doing the whole PT untimed as BR and not looking at the answers until I've answered all of the questions. The reason is that I've found that by the time I'm done with all 4 sections, I don't necessarily remember my exact thought process as I was going through my BR.

Basically my BR process would involve doing each passage untimed and looking at the answers just for that passage afterwards. This way I can see which questions I got wrong and look at explanations on the Powerscore/Manhattan forums while everything is still fresh in my head. I also think it will save me time because if I do my BR from start to finish, then when I finally look at the answers and see which ones I got wrong, I pretty much have to spend time re-reading each passage that I have wrong questions in.

The same idea would apply to LR by section and LG by games, though I feel like for me this is most important with RC since it is the section I struggle most with.

I'm interested to hear what you guys do and which method of BR you think is more effective/time efficient.

Comments

• Clementine_ESClementine_ES Free Trial Member
    59 karma

Here's what I do: I take a PT, then I BR the first section of the PT. I then look at the answers only for that section (sometimes I cover the other sections answers with a piece of paper just to make sure I don't see anything) and review what I got incorrect on the original PT and what I got wrong during my BR of the section. I make sure I understand exactly why I got the question wrong, and make sure I understand why the correct answer is right for every question I missed on my BR of the section. Only then do I move on the BR and review the 2nd section of the practice test. Once I understand the mistakes I made BRing the 2nd section, I move on and BR the 3rd section and then review it and so on.

• Clementine_ESClementine_ES Free Trial Member
    59 karma

I only do the final full grading and input into 7sage analytics once I have completed all 4 sections of BR and follow-up review. BR is often a two day process for me but I feel like I learn quite a bit from it.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

@Clementine_ES said:
    Here's what I do: I take a PT, then I BR the first section of the PT. I then look at the answers only for that section (sometimes I cover the other sections answers with a piece of paper just to make sure I don't see anything) and review what I got incorrect on the original PT and what I got wrong during my BR of the section. I make sure I understand exactly why I got the question wrong, and make sure I understand why the correct answer is right for every question I missed on my BR of the section. Only then do I move on the BR and review the 2nd section of the practice test. Once I understand the mistakes I made BRing the 2nd section, I move on and BR the 3rd section and then review it and so on.

Yeah this is exactly what I was trying to get at - with the exception that for RC and LG I was considering breaking down the process by each game/passage.

My plan is to enter all the answers into an excel spreadsheet at least a day or two before I take the PT. I'll then highlight all the answers in black so you can't see the answer. Then, while I'm going through BR, I can un-highlight the specific questions that I want to see the answer for. This way I avoid seeing correct answers for questions I'm about to do in the near future.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@sakox010 said:
    Hi, so I've been blind reviewing for a while now and completely understand what it is. In the past, when I take a PT, what I have done is printed off two copies and taken the PT under timed conditions with a random 5th section. Afterwards I would do the PT on the second copy untimed without having the answers from my first timed attempt in front of me since that can sometimes mess with me psychologically in various ways.

However, I've started to wonder if it would be better to BR by passage/game for RC and LG and by section for LR rather than doing the whole PT untimed as BR and not looking at the answers until I've answered all of the questions. The reason is that I've found that by the time I'm done with all 4 sections, I don't necessarily remember my exact thought process as I was going through my BR.

Basically my BR process would involve doing each passage untimed and looking at the answers just for that passage afterwards. This way I can see which questions I got wrong and look at explanations on the Powerscore/Manhattan forums while everything is still fresh in my head. I also think it will save me time because if I do my BR from start to finish, then when I finally look at the answers and see which ones I got wrong, I pretty much have to spend time re-reading each passage that I have wrong questions in.

The same idea would apply to LR by section and LG by games, though I feel like for me this is most important with RC since it is the section I struggle most with.

I'm interested to hear what you guys do and which method of BR you think is more effective/time efficient.

I do a post test write-up which really seems to help keep me from forgetting. For each question I circle, I write a sentence or two outlining what is confusing me or what I'm not fully understanding. This seems to be very helpful.

Also, are you circling questions you are not 100% on while you take the exam?

333 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@sakox010 said:

I do a post test write-up which really seems to help keep me from forgetting. For each question I circle, I write a sentence or two outlining what is confusing me or what I'm not fully understanding. This seems to be very helpful.

Yeah, I'm circling them. Box for questions I absolutely am not sure, circle for questions that I want to come back to, and a dot next to questions where I'm not 100% sure or where I didn't bother to thoroughly go through all of the answer choices while taking the test timed.

One of my concerns is that going through a whole test of BR without looking at the answers is inefficient because for sections like RC, I pretty much have to read the whole passage again since it's not going to be completely fresh in my mind. This could be avoided by just tackling my BR one passage at a time.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@sakox010 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@sakox010 said:

Yeah, I'm circling them. Box for questions I absolutely am not sure, circle for questions that I want to come back to, and a dot next to questions where I'm not 100% sure or where I didn't bother to thoroughly go through all of the answer choices while taking the test timed.

One of my concerns is that going through a whole test of BR without looking at the answers is inefficient because for sections like RC, I pretty much have to read the whole passage again since it's not going to be completely fresh in my mind. This could be avoided by just tackling my BR one passage at a time.

Yeah, I hear you. What do you think about doing the write-up like I mentioned?

I can't think of any major harm doing it passage by passage would do but I'd be really interested to hear what someone like @"Cant Get Right" or @Sami thinks on this. (a.k.a people far more knowledgable than me ;))

333 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@sakox010 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@sakox010 said:

Yeah, I hear you. What do you think about doing the write-up like I mentioned?

I can't think of any major harm doing it passage by passage would do but I'd be really interested to hear what someone like @"Cant Get Right" or @Sami thinks on this. (a.k.a people far more knowledgable than me ;))

I think it's definitely an idea worth trying, especially on questions I struggle with during blind review. With that being said, I don't think it can be a complete solution to the issues of efficiency/learning that I bring up. For example, what if I get a question wrong on one that I didn't think was hard or that I would get wrong when I took the test and later BRed? In terms of improving, I feel like seeing that I got this question wrong right after I've finished my BR for that passage/section would be more beneficial.

I'll definitely be implementing this into my BR though so thanks for sharing! I can definitely see taking notes on questions I struggle with or don't feel 100% confident with to be beneficial when reviewing the questions later (with the knowledge of the correct answer) since I'll know what my thought process was as I worked through that question.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

Hey! What I do is I only BR the questions I have a tilde or circle next to. Usually I do the full games section bc that's my weakest. I also do it in lumps of question like let's say I have 4 circled on one page I will do them and then check the answers because I have noticed if I wait to long after I did the question in BR I will forget my thought process.