Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Core Curriculum

LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
in General 190 karma

I was just wondering on average how long it is taking people to get through the core curriculum. I won't be applying to schools this year like I had planned, and wondered how many of you are able to stay on track... or have to keep editing the study schedule like I do! Thanks, Lindsey

Comments

• LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
    190 karma

***excluding the practice exams

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited November 2017 2426 karma

It varies depending on the individual and the number of problem sets one incorporates in the process. Some advocate doing all sets, some intentionally save them for later drilling, and of course, there are also folks in between. There is really no right and wrong answer to this, you can certainly tailor it to your situation and schedule. I myself, for example, took about little over 2 months first time around, then life and school got in the way so I took some time off. When I returned to prep, i decided to redo the entire CC cuz i understand the importance of a solid foundation and I knew I was weak on that. So second time it took me 7 months cuz I really wasn't cutting corners, I pretty much BRed the entire CC, (including all problem sets) multiple times on argument forms, lawgic, translation group exercises, etc, then thoroughly BR and write out explanations for every single question that gave me trouble. So yeah, no worries if there are times you might need to edit your schedule, it's perfectly normal. It will only serve you well later on to have a solid foundation. And if it might help, I'm probably one of the slowest out there, if not the slowest. Lol

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

It took me about a month -- August. But I spent almost everyday working on it, full time. I had just finished defending my thesis and graduate assistant-ships (so it was the first time since I was a child that I was officially "jobless"). If I had been working still, I imagine the CC could easily have been 2-3 months even while doing it consistently.

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1363 karma

Depends on the 7Sage course one enrolls in too. The Ultimate and Ultimate+ packages have longer number of CC hours to cover.

I'm ~60% done so far. I started around mid-August/early September. I study anywhere from 15-20 hours a week - so it's been relatively slow. That said, I prefer it this way. I take my time to go through each problem set and review my weaknesses to solidify my understanding of the CC as much as possible. I have to edit my schedule every now and then too because there are certain lessons which require more attention than the rest. I don't get especially worked up because of it, though; it's far more deeply satisfying to me to have properly understood a lesson before moving onto the next, rather than having to follow a strict schedule.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2017 1866 karma

I get you -- I had to keep editing my schedule, too!
    I was working (interning) full-time and had events I had to attend that seemed to constantly mess with my plan. Also, some concepts were more difficult and I had to spend more time than I'd originally allotted (LG, anyone?), while others were easier and I got through them faster than I'd expected (RC for me).
    Overall it took me about 3.5 - 4 months to get through the CC (Ultimate+, and I did all the problem sets). I usually studied about 3 - 5 hours a day on weekdays and 5 - 7 hours a day on weekends, with a few weekends off.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@LindseyDC said:
    I was just wondering on average how long it is taking people to get through the core curriculum. I won't be applying to schools this year like I had planned, and wondered how many of you are able to stay on track... or have to keep editing the study schedule like I do! Thanks, Lindsey

On average, I think it takes most people about 2 months to get through the CC. Of course, this is just an average because everyone has a different schedule and study timeline. For me, when I was completing the CC, I worked and only really studied ~15 hours a week. So it definitely took me closer to 3 months.

The important thing is to go at a pace that suits you. I rushed my first time though the CC and I ended up missing out on many important things I ultimately had to review.

Take your time and as long as you need.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I'm going on 7 months. I intentionally went very very slow because I wanted to learn the foundations and I work full time. If you're aiming for a high score, I think it's best to go at your own pace. :)

• LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
    190 karma

@tringo335 said:
    I'm going on 7 months. I intentionally went very very slow because I wanted to learn the foundations and I work full time. If you're aiming for a high score, I think it's best to go at your own pace. :)

Thanks! I am at about 7 months too :smile: It is so hard during the weekdays! Usually the weekends get my full attention and then 30 minutes here and there on weekdays.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@LindseyDC said:

@tringo335 said:

Thanks! I am at about 7 months too :smile: It is so hard during the weekdays! Usually the weekends get my full attention and then 30 minutes here and there on weekdays.

It is so hard lol ... working full time and with the hubs around there's barely any time to get stuff done. I manage to crank out about 1.5-2 hours during the week day and try to do 3 hours on Sundays. When do you plan on taking the test? I'm shooting for June but with the LG bundle and my time constraints I'm worried I'll have to push it back already :(