Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Second guessing on questions

AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member

Hi, I'm currently studying for the December LSAT (20-25 hours a week + a full course load + clubs and a sport). I've changed my studying habits from the first time around I was studying. I began in early May with the expectations of taking the September test. I only depended on the PowerScore Bibles (all 3) and I purchased two PrepTest books. I honestly didn't utilize the best techniques at first and in a strange way, luck was on my side. I got stuck in Irma back home and LSAC moved my test for free to any date. I wanted to take it in December because I wanted to get it over with and I didn't want to keep prolonging it. Anyways, with the whole stress of balancing everything and keeping up with assignments, exams, and papers. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed especially at this point towards the end of the term. I've changed my studying to taking 1-2 PrepTests a week under timed conditions at the library on the silent floor. I'm seeing gradual improvements with fluctuations. I always return to the questions I got wrong and the ones I got correct. For the ones I get wrong, I identify the type of question and I also make note of questions that I narrow the two possible answers and answers that I second guess and either select the wrong answer or I just change the answer completely.

I'm noticing this is my main problem. If I didn't second guess myself, I would score 165+. I'd just like to know if anyone else encounters this and what is the best way to overcome this? I also had this same issue with the SAT but that was so long ago I honestly forgot what it felt like. Timing is really not my problem at this point, it's more an issue of accuracy and self-trust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• justdoit-1justdoit-1 Alum Member
    57 karma

This is literally me! I would look for a pattern on how you arrive at the two answers rather than looking at the type of question. A few things could be preventing you from picking the correct answer. One option is that you just don't understand what you are looking for (e.g. requirement of being a necessary assumption or what would weaken a stimulus). If that is the case, I would suggest going back over those questions and working on refining your analysis. The other option (which is me right now) is that when I come down to two answers I have done one of two things: I didn't paraphrase and now I'm stuck feeling that both answers are plausible. Or, I identify the answer early on (answer A, B or C and as I scan to look over the rest of the answers, I find something that seems slightly plausible. This creates enough doubt for me that I end up picking the "newer" answer because it made me uncertain regarding the first answer I identified. This may seem odd ( it is certainly frustrating) but the good news is that it's correctable and you are not completely off base. Remember, the LSAT wants to trick you, and it feeds off of people's uncertainty. See if the answers you are picking when you come down to 2 is the first or second of the two. You may be second guessing yourself or convincing yourself that because you saw an attractive answer earlier, it's likely to be true.

Hope that helps! Keep grinding and best of luck!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

No idea if this will help, but I plan on trying it if I run into that difficulty. (I do it pretty often on problem sets.) Try marking your first instinct answer on the page when you decide to change your mind and bubble in a different one. At the end of the PT, compare how many of your first instincts were right and how many of your secondary answers were right. This should either give you some pretty good information about what you need to study more or it will build your confidence. Good luck!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited November 2017 3072 karma

I typically found that my second choice was wrong and my first choice correct. Of course sometimes it works in reverse, but I'd say only about 25% of the time. I'd imagine it varies from person to person and has a lot to do with mindset and confidence in your skills. If you're not confident enough, it could mean you don't understand whatever concept the LSAT is testing you on as well as you should.

It could be other things, too, but I'd guess it has something to do with that stuff.