Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I re-take... AGAIN???

kventokvento Alum Member
edited December 2017 in General 86 karma

Hi All,

Interested in hearing the thoughts of my fellow 7-Sagers.

My LSAT journey has been a long learning process to say the least. My first attempt (a year ago) came after taking a worthless Kaplan prep course which had successfully convinced those of us enrolled in their course that all we needed to crush the LSAT was their three-month study plan. This was evidently false after I received my first attempt score (Dec. 2016). In hindsight, I should have cancelled.

Later, after some research into the more popular study techniques/guides I made my second attempt last June 2017 after studying the PowerScore Bibles and saw a significant increase in my score. I applied to a #50 school but was ultimately waitlist-denied.

However, it was nearly the end of my study for the June 2017 that I discovered the undisputed, most effective, most honest and realistic LSAT preparation company of all time... 7Sageeeee! Working through the CC and watching JY's explanations gave me the "ah-ha" moments I was longing for.

SO, last Saturday's Dec. 2 administration was my THIRD attempt at the LSAT. However, I don't feel like this attempt was within the score range I had hoped to be within (162-167).

With all of that said, should I roll with my score and get my applications in early? Should I cancel and retake in February? Or finally, should I keep score and make a FOURTH attempt in February? I'm not too thrilled about having that many reported attempts and also I am not happy about applying so late in the cycle but if it means scoring well within or over my ideal range and making myself a more competitive applicant, perhaps a fourth attempt is worth it..

All feedback is encouraged. Thanks!

Kyle

PS. Didn't intend for this to be a narrative lol Hopefully just provides some context. Maybe someone else has a similar story.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
  1. Roll with the score and get those applications in early28 votes
    1. Keep score but still retake in February
      89.29%
    2. Cancel score and retake in February
      10.71%

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2017 10774 karma

I think more than feelings, which tend to not be reliable after taking LSAT, you should look at probability. If you were scoring within your desired LSAT range before taking the test consistently there is a high chance that you are overthinking how bad you did and you will score within your goal score range. In this case, I would have the applications ready to go and as soon as your score comes, hopefully its what you want, I would go ahead and submit it.

But if you were not scoring in that range, then I would wait to start scoring within that range before taking the LSAT - whether this be February or later.

I think we all would want our application early but the right time is more determined by a mixture of where we are in our prep and what our goals are.

On a side note, both JY and @"Cant Get Right" wanted to cancel their tests. Turns out they both scored very high on those two tests. I think it just goes to show how feelings don't matter so much as probability and strategy.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Self-honesty is important, too.

• Kennedy SmithKennedy Smith Member
    7 karma

I'm sort of in the same boat. I scored a 155 in December 2016 and just took it again in December 2017. My PT scores were in the 160 to 165 range leading up to the most recent test. Then the actual test happened, and the LGs happened. I know I screwed up pretty badly; had to guess on every answer on the 4th game. That said, there's a chance I aced the first three games. I felt unusually confident on the rest of the test as well. Depending on a number of factors, my score will probably be in the 157 to 162 range. I'm confident I didn't score lower this time, which is all I really care about, and so I'm keeping my score. If I have to retake in February, at least my score will have slowly improved over time. Assuming I don't do worse in the future. I don't think a cancellation at this point would look too favorable either.

My advice is to take the score if you're at least confident you didn't do any worse. You might be pleasantly surprised.

• kventokvento Alum Member
    86 karma

Thanks everyone for the comments @goingfor99th @Sami ! @"Kennedy Smith" Will you all be applying for Fall 2018?

@Sami You make excellent points. I've been spending some time really examining my prep-test habits (in particular the bad ones) and plan on continuing my prep. If I am reliably scoring where I want to be within a month, perhaps I'll retake in February.. if not.. I'll prep super hard for a June 2018 score to be in the first applicant pool for Fall 2019.

7SagerRagers!!

• kventokvento Alum Member
    86 karma

Not sure why the poll is messing up... I set it up to have 3 choices.. 1) roll with the score and apply early 2) keep score and retake in Feb 3) cancel score and retake in February.. just fyi

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

@kvento said:
    Thanks everyone for the comments @goingfor99th @Sami ! @"Kennedy Smith" Will you all be applying for Fall 2018?

I've already applied to 12 schools. One more left.

I will hear back from Duke by Friday. :D