So. I started out at a small local college. Did a few semesters there and transferred to University. Got really sick and medically withdrew. Went back to the small local college and got my associates. Went back to the University and failed out. Went back to the small local college and got my act (somewhat) together and now I'll be graduating in spring.
How in the hell do I approach this? There isn't much data on super splitters to this degree.
I think I have good softs. I worked in the legal field on and off for 5 years while in school and this summer I volunteered for an immigration law nonprofit.
Have 3 attorneys willing to write a LOR for me.
I want to get into University of Florida.
Help.
Edit: just did the calculation and my GPA is around 2.3. also, I am transgender and not sure whether to include that on applications.
15 comments
Congratulations on your 180!!! That is a major accomplishment, and the law school admissions officers know it! I won't let your GPA hold you back, given your work experience and the option of writing an addendum. If you are currently in any academic environment where you will be able to complete assignments, then I would highly recommend you seek a letter of recommendation from your academic supervisor.
Hi Lia!! Congrats to you on your 180 as well. I asked one of my professors for a LOR too, and he said because I take online classes it's harder for him and he will only be able to speak to my performance, but that's really all I need from him so that works out.
As the other commenter said, write an addendum. With your softs / LORs / 180, I think you truly have a great application! Splitters are relatively common and I think any school would be lucky to have you.
Splitters are common but not to this degree. I can't seem to find any data on applicants like me (but also LSD's site is very broken)
First of all, go off. You are awesome. I would approach it with an addendum explaining how you got sick and how that impacted your performance and experience at the university.
Wishing you the best!
Thanks. Do you think I could get into UF?
I would think you absolutely have a chance because of your LSAT, despite your GPA being lower than their median, especially with your medical issue. Getting a 180 is no small feat. But I think it would be good to apply to other schools as back ups.
Hope you enjoy st louis barbecue
I am not opposed to WashU if I can figure out how to pay for it.
Delay your graduation retake corses and. Get that gpa up. Which is super easy compared to the lsat.
I have been in undergrad for 10 years I just want out at this point.
maybe look into the Binding Decision option at UF
Honestly dude first congrats this is a real achievement. 7 sage should interview someone like you because the pressure of doing well on the lsat is on another level when you don't have the gpa as a cushion to help you get into your goal school. In terms of your concerns of getting into a school like UF, I can't say for certain as I am not an admin officer there, but I would bet they would be willing to take your gpa in order to get someone with your lsat score. At the end of the day law schools mainly care about the median gpa and median lsat for the incoming class. If they get enough students to where the median gpa won't be impacted a crazy amount they should be more then willing to take a person who scored higher than their median lsat let alone a person who got a 180. The people making this decision are people too and know that not everyone has their stuff together from 18 to 22. I think as long as you write a compelling gpa addendum I genuinely thing you should be fine. I honestly think you should be looking at the tier 14s. For instance, Wash U allows you to redact your gpa entirely with a 180 you are 5 points higher then their median.
Wait, what's that about WashU? I never heard of being able to redact your GPA.
https://law.washu.edu/news/podcast/redacted-review/. Obviously, if UF is what you want, prioritize them. None of us can guarantee what's gonna happen, as we are not on the admin committee there, and traditional prediction calculators aren't really applicable to you, as I'm sure it's rare that schools see people in your situation. But the awesome thing is, UF is a real chance for you now. Before you took the LSAT in September, it would have essentially been a pipe dream, but I think at minimum you will at least get a human to look at your file. What happens from there, none of us know, as there are a lot of factors that go into all this, but at a minimum you are a realistic candidate now, which was the best-case scenario for you prior to taking the Sept LSAT. Also, think about it: less than 300 people get a perfect score on the LSAT each year, and you are one of them. UF probably sees kids with a 3.8 plus all the time, but not all universities and majors are the same. The LSAT is meant to put everyone on a level playing field, and you scored in the 99.9999 percent; that is a major bargaining chip. There's got to be a top 40 school that will throw a full ride at you to buy your LSAT score.