Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Three Months

nicholasthomas127nicholasthomas127 Alum Member
in General 458 karma

After browsing several LSAT forums and websites, there seems to some sort of unofficial consensus (though not everywhere) that three months is adequate time to study and prep for the LSAT? The LSAT is a beast of a test and I could not imagine leaning the foundation, taking enough PTs all in three months (without severe burnout), and expecting to do reasonably well. I understand that people can learn at different rates but if the 7sage core curriculum and the 7sage discussion board has taught me is that slow and steady really does win the race. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this, I just found it interesting!

Comments

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

You are extremely correct on this. Heck it took me 3 months just to get through the core curriculum! There are a select few that only need a few months to prepare, but for the rest of us taking our time is the best way. It all comes down to how your personal preferences are and how quickly you can grasp the material and what kind of outside commitments you have (school, work, etc). So yes, most times slow and steady wins the race!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

The 3-month guideline is a huuuuuge LSAT myth and very easy to believe at first. I fell for it despite a lot of research prior to my studying. Most of the internet says "3 months and the powerscore bibles and youll be fine" -- but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least it's not for me. It's really unfortunate.

One of the most valuable aspects of 7Sage is how quickly myths like that get dispelled.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@nicholasthomas127 said:
    After browsing several LSAT forums and websites, there seems to some sort of unofficial consensus (though not everywhere) that three months is adequate time to study and prep for the LSAT? The LSAT is a beast of a test and I could not imagine leaning the foundation, taking enough PTs all in three months (without severe burnout), and expecting to do reasonably well. I understand that people can learn at different rates but if the 7sage core curriculum and the 7sage discussion board has taught me is that slow and steady really does win the race. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this, I just found it interesting!

Yeah, like @jkatz1488 above me said, huge myth. There are people who only need 6 weeks. A random engineering student I was friends with took the LSAT and scored a 169 after studying maybe for 6 weeks. And he wasn't on 7Sage and doing drills. Will Huntings and geniuses exist but they are the exception and not the rule.

The real reason behind this 3-month myth is LSAT prep companies make more money that way. And the consumers/students accept it readily because the truth is a lot more shitty to hear. Then there's game theory/economic competition. If one company says their program will have you ready in 3 months and yours is 6 months... The student will likely choose the 3-month program. And that company gets 2x as much money because they'll churn out the students 2x as quick.

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

I'll be dealing with this question at a panel at my former alma mater, and I expect to be met with criticism. I think three months seems like a lot to most anyway, so to say you need more time to reach your potential is just straight-up whacky in so many eyes. Mastering anything or at least maximizing your potential in three months in anything is just not going to happen. It's crazy to think that there's this mentality in regards to the LSAT.

• Colin1485Colin1485 Member
    edited April 2017 108 karma

Depends on what level of proficiency you want. To me, three months is a myth. The assumption many people believe that taking a course from "xyz test prep company", is that they will be in the top 90% of the curve. The reality is that many traditional tutoring test prep companies are trying to get you to the medium. It's a business as someone mentioned. Depending on your life goals, time, ability and inspiration - Three months of intensive study is doable for the lsat and scoring above average. You shouldn't be aiming for "above average", you want to be awesome and have mastery. Too much of an investment and too much at stake to be haphazardly jump into the test without proper prep.

There have been some some blogs written by people who have signed up for the lsat, actually take the test run in February, cancel their score and take the test in June? Why because they wanted to simulate the test center experience. You may want to do that in June and retake in September.

http://service2school.org/resources/beating-the-lsat-advice-from-a-vet-who-scored-180/

Speaking personally, I have been studying for this thing now going on cumulative 6 months - it's been tough; 7 sage has helped tremendously but still feel like I'm pushing the big metaphorical rock uphill; I've been seeing better results - Logic games have been shaky lately but I have a good feeling I'll be ready by June for the LSAT SUPERFIGHT!

If you signed up for the June lsat already, keep studying! You may feel like you are at a good level in a month and a half - Otherwise just keep plugging along. Self doubt is the worst enemy.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

There have been some some blogs written by people who have signed up for the lsat, actually take the test run in February, cancel their score and take the test in June? Why because they wanted to simulate the test center experience. You may want to do that in June and retake in September.

I would recommend strongly AGAINST this. We have 3 precious takes in a 2 year period. Using up one before you are ready is a common mistake. Too much can go wrong to burn a take like that -- test day nerves (which, by the way, dont necessarily go away just because you've taken it before), a bad test center, bad proctors, bubbling errors, diarrhea, etc.

I firmly believe one should take the test when one is ready. No sooner.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2017 4141 karma

I wish! Yeah I agree with a lot that has been said above, 3 months is such an arbitrary amount of time. 3 months is possible for people who have already mastered the skills needed to perform above average on the LSAT. Based on LSAT performance data, people with such skill mastery do not make up the majority of those who take the LSAT. Some of those key skills would be: an ability to analyze arguments quickly, knowing how to identify argument structure and flaws quickly, having a general level of comfort during timed testing conditions, understanding logic and validity etc. If one cannot say they have mastered the aforementioned skills and they aim to score much higher than their diagnostic or above average, then yeah no, allocate much more than 3 months for LSAT prep.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

if your initial diagnostic is 170, sure. lol

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

Wasted thousands on a 3 month intensive course that promised to make you Harvard Ready in 3 months, I was no where near where I am right now after taking my time to go through the CC. 3 months may work for some, but that definitely does not apply to me lol.