Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7Sage Newbie Advice/LSAT Study Journey/Reasonable Goal Score?

Achen165Achen165 Member
edited October 2019 in General 656 karma

Blank

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited April 2017 9377 karma

Hi! I'm sort of like a newbie too, so I don't think I can give you good advice. But I just want to say you're not alone since my study journey has been an absolute mess! (PowerScore Bibles, LSAT Trainer...I've never used LSAT Max but I have a 35-Min LSAT Max watch...) And I have taken the actual test on a whim too....

@achen013 said:
    What I'd like to know if there are any significant score improvers who have advice for me?
    Also, what would be a reasonable goal score?

I guess it depends on what your weakness is. Generally speaking, LG is the easiest section to improve on. If you are not scoring well in LG section, I think you should work on LG first.

Also, there is a great webinar by significant score improvers:
    https://7sage.com/webinar/our-89-point-increase-story/

There are many inspiring stories if you search this Discussion Forum too!

Hope this helps :smiley:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@achen013 said:
    Hey everyone!

I am hoping to take the LSATs in September 2017 or if absolutely necessary, December 2017. My study journey has been an absolute mess and I hope that purchasing the 7Sage Premium course will help me.

I initially began studying July 2016 with Powerscore Bibles and the most recent PT's (10 Actuals Book---I hadn't known any better then to use older tests...ooppsss!!!), while taking a minimial Summer course load, but once school started back in the Fall of last year, I fell off and slowly dissipated into absolutely no studying. I gave up on the Powerscore trilogy, especially for LR, as I felt that the bible was so lofty that I couldn't keep anything straight...nothing was translating from theory into practice. I picked back up again after the Fall semester ended, sometime in mid-December, this time using the LSAT Trainer as my sole resource, I felt like I was starting over studying from the beginning, and I took the February test on a whim...I scored poorly (147). I disappointed myself and felt very dejected thereafter.

Once again, after the February test, I took some time off of studying because I felt directionless in my pursuits. I PT'd over and over again this time with older tests, seeing no improvements because I hadn't gotten a clear grasp of where I'd gone wrong, particularly in LR. I recently got a course through LSAT Max, and have not completed it...I feel the interface to be a bit lackluster, and that I wasn't improving because their aren't any explanations for the drills that follow the lessons, just letter answer choices. Anyone used this program?

I am back at it again, this time with 7Sage Premium, hopefully I can finally work towards significant improvements by September. I am beginning studying all over again from scratch with the CC, carefully navigating through the material to be sure not to rush the process so that it doesn't become another crash and burn situation.

What I'd like to know if there are any significant score improvers who have advice for me?
    Also, what would be a reasonable goal score? I have a high GPA, but low score and would like for the two to be on par as best as I can (4.0 all around, including LSAC GPA). I PT'd around the 152-155 range before the actual exam.

Any and all advice is greatly appreicated! I look forward to integrating into and engaging with the 7Sage community!

Welcome!

My advice would be to not worry about taking it in September vs. December, but to set your sights on a high score and work preparing until you get there. My favorite thing about the LSAT is that we have the ability to take it whenever we are ready, unlike almost every other test I've taken. Don't make the same mistake from Feb again. I think a reasonable score goal is as high as you can imagine! 180 is a reasonable goal imo. Why aim for anything less?

I would re-motivate myself and make sure I am ready to consistently prepare using 7Sage. It is better to put in an hour or two a day, 6-7 days a week, then to study 5 hours a day but only do that 2-3 times a week.

There's tons of advice I have learned from watching the Webinars of those who have scored 170+ My advice would be to watch a couple of those and get an idea of how different people, who ultimately ended up scoring very well, handled the LSAT!

If you have a 4.0 I have no doubt that you can do well on this test! With that GPA and a 170+ LSAT there is no school you don't have a chance at :)

Good luck

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

You're definitely in the right place. I think that many of us here started where you are and found success. For me, I started with PS and it just didn't work, signed up for 7Sage after a disappointing test performance, learned the 7Sage methodology, and crushed it on test day. And there's plenty more like me. So welcome to 7Sage!

You've got a good plan for now. Work through the CC slow and steady, making sure to focus on understanding rather than just completion. It does suck that you've burned through the most recent tests, but if you're anything like me, your study habits were bad enough that there will still be lots of value in those tests. How many fresh tests do you have? You definitely want to place a premium on those, so don't take them lightly. You should take them only when you feel like you're ready to score your target score.

And as far as your target score goes, you can aim for whatever you want. I decided I wanted to score a 170+, so that's what I prepared for and that's what I did. I would encourage you to commit to your score, whatever you decide you want. If you're not ready in October or December, don't take the test. What is so special about those test dates if you're not ready? Sure, they will allow you to apply in the upcoming cycle, but so what? School will still be there, and you will be much happier with results if you can apply with your target score. Admissions committees don't care when you take the test. They only care about your score, and so that's what you should care about too.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I can relate to your LSAT struggle! I bounced around prep resources/classes leading into a test that I wasn't ready for, too. 7Sage offers a community which is unrivaled as far as I've seen and that has been the biggest factor in my improvement -- reading and contributing to deep question analysis has really helped me see the inner-workings of the test questions.

I will echo @"Alex Divine" points. Don't feel like you are locked into the Sept/Dec test. If you're not ready, don't take the test. Truthfully, at this point, I wouldn't be concerned about goal scores or which test you'll be taking. I recommend working through the core curriculum conscientiously and without rushing. Periodically return to sections you found difficult, ask/answer questions, and analyze the shit out of questions you weren't 100% certain of. The extra work you put in during this time will pay off BIG time when you are start PTing again.

Following the core curriculum, I recommend taking 4-6 weeks to identify weaknesses, fool proof LG, and begin to implement an LR skipping strategy. After that, take a fresh PT under test-day conditions (and clean copy blind review it before scoring it). At that point, take stock of your situation. Consider your score, your weaknesses, and the timing.

Now, there are goal scores and then there are goal scores. I recommend truly working towards a 180 and that's not lip service. By striving for mastery, we can be confident that we've left no stone unturned. But, also consider what score you'd be satisfied with. It will difficult to determine that score minimum at this point in your prep, so I don't recommend thinking about it until your next PT (a few months from now).

I know that for me, the idea of hitting "reset" and putting off PTs until my fundamentals were solid was a very difficult decision, but I am 100% confident it was the correct decision.

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

One sentence: do whatever you can to get 180. Study hard and smart. OOPS,two sentences instead:)

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

Work up a daily schedule to follow. This makes you more committed, which you really have to be in order to get a high score and not forget anything you've learned along the way.

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    656 karma

@akistotle
    Thank you for the advice and support! Best of luck to you!

edited April 2017 656 karma

@"Alex Divine"
    Thank you so much for the advice,support & encouragement! Best of luck to you! Will definitely integrate daily practice and aim to be a top scorer, when I feel that I've sufficiently prepared.

656 karma

@"Cant Get Right" Thank you so much for the reassurance, encouragement and support.

edited April 2017 656 karma

@jkatz1488
    Thank you so much for all of your insight! Very helpful!

• StellaBlueStellaBlue Alum Member
    185 karma

Hey @achen013 ! I'm also new, and operating on the same loose schedule of Sept/Dec (but then again, we'll see). I just wanted to let you know---I've only been working on 7sage CC since April 3, and while I've only taken one cold diagnostic and no other PTs yet, I can't even believe how much better I understand the logic and intent of many of these questions. I'm even beginning to analyze things in my life---news stories especially---through the lens of logic.

I'm usually really hard on myself and have a tendency to think I'm stupid if I get questions wrong. But with 7sage, I've come to realize that messing up is a really important part of the process, and it's allowed me to study more critically and effectively!

Anyway! Best of luck to you, we've got it.

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1018 karma

Hi @achen013! Welcome to 7Sage---the last LSAT Study program you'll ever need! (I learned this one the hard way too, similarly to your journey and situation thus far.)

There is much sound advice here, and I can only add: there are many groups to join here on 7Sage that will help with accountability and staying on track along the way. (I believe the PT groups for Sept and Dec sits will open up after June. These are extremely valuable study groups and use the newer PTs.)

All of the groups, be they for part-time studiers or full-time studiers, everyone in-between, and all stages of prep, I find are very friendly and helpful to keep motivated and forward--progressing.

For now, I highly recommend, until those newer PT study groups open up, for you to consider joining the Oldies Mondays --- run by Sage CantGetRight. (He is an incredible teacher.) We go over different parts of old PTs, depending on what everyone is working on. We cannibalize older PTs, so you can still use them for other parts of your CC study. Some do the whole PT before we meet, others don't. I don't because I'm not there yet in my CC.

While I'm still in CC, I have found this group to be just as valuable as the upcoming PT groups that work on the newer PTs.

We're on PT 20 starting tonight at 7:30pm EST. Come and go as you need to because we don't rush this!! (Not rushing this process is probably the hardest, yet most valuable lesson we learn!)

Looking forward to studying with you at some point!

656 karma

@StellaBlue Thank you for your reply, and nice to meet you! I am happy to hear that you have been able to acquire skills that translate into your daily life, and that you have found the curriculum useful.

I've also fallen victim to the questions making me think that I was stupid because I didn't understand! Glad to hear that I am not alone in that regard!

Thank you so much for the positivity and encouragement and best of luck to you! If I can ever be of assistance to you, please do let me know!

656 karma

@"Bevs ScooterMinion" Awesome! Sounds fantastic...I will definitely join groups! Thank you so much for the invite! Best of luck to you and I also look forward to working with you as well.

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

Great advice here, so I'm left with little left to say. That said, just remember that the logic inherent to the LSAT is akin to a language. This test isn't like any other aptitude test where you more or less have an arguably more predetermined ceiling.

Focus on mastering the language, as well as mastering the implementation of your knowledge of that language on a harshly timed test. For those two reasons, the LSAT is, again, entirely different than any other test. It's difficult to "master" (if anyone can truly "master" the LSAT), but it is learnable.