Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sequencing Games with rule: X _ _ Y

countdown14countdown14 Alum Member
in Logic Games 16 karma

Hello gamers,

I seem to always get stuck on sequencing games where one of the rules involves having "at least two spaces between X and Y". I get particularly stuck when there's a switch on top so it can either be X _ _ Y or Y _ _ X. Furthermore, sometimes I skip over the "at least" part, which ensures other issues... I know this uses the same concepts as all other games, but for some reason this kind of rule always takes me longer to get my head around. Does anyone else have this issue?

As for improving time, anyone know of certain games with this quality? I want to do as many as possible so I can get more comfortable.

Thanks!
Sophia

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1997 karma

@countdown14 said:
    Hello gamers,

I seem to always get stuck on sequencing games where one of the rules involves having "at least two spaces between X and Y". I get particularly stuck when there's a switch on top so it can either be X _ _ Y or Y _ _ X. Furthermore, sometimes I skip over the "at least" part, which ensures other issues... I know this uses the same concepts as all other games, but for some reason this kind of rule always takes me longer to get my head around. Does anyone else have this issue?

As for improving time, anyone know of certain games with this quality? I want to do as many as possible so I can get more comfortable.

Thanks!
    Sophia

An easy way to notate "at least 2 spaces" is X_ _ ...Y

And an easy way to notate that they could be switched is to put arrows above or below the letters, instead of writing out 2 separate rules (although sometimes its more beneficial to do a hard split and write them out separately.

edit : drawing it with ascii characters is impossible, here's a better diagram

http://sketchtoy.com/68084564

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited May 2017 10774 karma

@countdown14 said:
    Hello gamers,

I seem to always get stuck on sequencing games where one of the rules involves having "at least two spaces between X and Y". I get particularly stuck when there's a switch on top so it can either be X _ _ Y or Y _ _ X.

Hey so I like to write it like this:
    x/y _ _ y/x
    and then I put a box around it. That way its a moving block and I don't forget that either one of x or Y has to go in it. Then If we know where X is the whole box moves with it and now we know where Y is.

Furthermore, sometimes I skip over the "at least" part.

I always underline things like this consistently on every rule. So if I see X is at least two spaces from Y, I would underline "at least two". Similarly, I stay consistent and I underline any other words that give me placement information in other rules in the game such as before, after, between etc. This ensures that I stay consistent in all my rules in all my games and I don't miss out on anything.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited May 2017 9372 karma

It's similar to @Mellow_Z 'a but I draw it like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/SqdYpYd.jpg

"..." indicates there may be more than two spots.

• dcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc Alum Member
    382 karma

Check out game 4 on PT 61 for a tougher sequencing game with this rule.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    edited May 2017 3112 karma

PT31-S3-Game 3 has good practice for this.

Also! I write X _ _ Y with LL2 underneath it the two spaces. This helps me remember it and I find the elipses too difficult to see/remember.

• countdown14countdown14 Alum Member
    16 karma

I'll review the games in PT61 and PT31. What I've been doing recently is writing X_ _Y with a switch and then writing arrows pointing outwards from each side <- X_ _Y -> I'm now hyper aware whenever it says "at least" because, oh joy! More possibilities!

Thanks all!