Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to focus on...lots of text sorry

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
edited May 2017 in General 13286 karma

I guess it's best to start with a little bit of history. I started my LSAT in June of 2016, I took a course with one of the testing companies and sat down for the September 2016 test. I scored a 157, which for me personally simply was not good enough. The course I took over the summer felt cluttered, and I certainly did not apply myself the way I should.

After the results, I turned to 7sage. I have the Ultimate package and I can tell this is much more my style for learning and comprehension. The question I can't answer now is "where do I begin".

I feel most confident with LG, I enjoy them, look forward to them and over all like doing them. I am still not perfect here (-2 to -4).
The other two sections are iffy. I took two practice tests through 7sage, one as a diagnostic and one more just to get a more accurate reading of where I am. The scores on those two tests were 161 and 159 respectively.

I have accepted that I don't know how to "LSAT" and I have accepted that I need to blind review in order to understand what I am doing both wrong and right. What I don't know is as follows;

Would it be most wise for me to follow the course lesson by lesson?
Should I sit down, look at the analytics, and focus on the question types that reoccurred during those two tests?
Should I relearn the way I approach Logic Games and use the methods 7sage suggests?

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1997 karma

I think you should follow the curriculum exactly as it is given to you. JY teaches things a lot differently than a lot of other courses/books, so I think it would be safe to cover all of it again if possible. Once you get through the CC start PTing and BRing. Drill question types as you go through it and touch up on weaknesses as you deem necessary.

I think you definitely should relearn logic games. It is very possible to go -0 on every game you do. JY teaches the fundamentals needed to accomplish this, and despite there being so much material on LSAT studying, I'd say the majority of students will recommend 7sage's LG over anything else.

As you said in your last paragraph, if you have a rocky foundation, just start over. It won't hurt to relearn and reemphasize your knowledge of the building blocks of this test. You will find many people who rush through the basics and then find themselves having to go back and go through the content again. It's better to be safe than sorry.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yes, I would recommend following the course. Before I did 7Sage I used some books and decided to re-learn some of JY's diagramming methods and how to diagram/understand condition logic. I feel a lot of the other courses out there either over-complicate things or only touch the surface with logic. Also, the video lessons and drills will only help to reinforce anything you already know, and you'll walk away with a much stronger foundation, which is the key to mastering anything!

Good luck!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Agree with everything said above. Start from the beginning of 7Sage and go through it step by step in order.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

If you don't know where your hang ups are or your weaknesses it's best to start from the beginning. Because you said your foundation is rocky I think that's the best indicator that you should start from the beginning. I think just diving in somewhere will eventually cause you to return to the curriculum anyway more times than you would've if you had started from the beginning. I'm glad you didn't mention the next time you plan to test because that gives you the time needed to get through the curriculum and PT sufficiently without the added pressure.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

As stated, the curriculum is a very valuable resource and it pays off to take your time in developing a core understanding of concepts before advancing. It's formulated in its order for a reason and I would say stick to that.

It's not really worth it to rush to get through it or to try to plan for a test date in advance. You'll know when you're ready.

Also, don't take many PTs. They are finite and valuable resources that allow you to gauge your understanding and weaknesses. Use them wisely. Hope this helps!