Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The DigitalLSAT discussion thread

JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 3112 karma

I think there should be...or it could be this. Just wondering though.

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@JustDoIt you just started it! :smiley:

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

Yeah.. I'm going to get wrecked because I haven't been working on full RC passages timed. /thread

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Love this idea for a thread!

Yeah, eventually there will be, there kind of has to be. The LSAC is a business and more and more law schools will eventually accept the GRE. So they have to keep competitive and it seems like a digital test would help it to become more competitive.

Not sure when it will go full digital. My guess would be sometime around 2020.

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

I sure hope whomever takes the digital pilot test thoroughly reads the fine print on the info sheet that was sent to them by LSAC with their ticket (not saying anyone here hasn't).

Could be a really short trip to look at a place with bars for a long time, and not the fun kind of bars.

Would really suck to get 7Sage in trouble too.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Bevs ScooterMinion" said:
    I sure hope whomever takes the digital pilot test thoroughly reads the fine print on the info sheet that was sent to them by LSAC with their ticket (not saying anyone here hasn't).

Could be a really short trip to look at a place with bars for a long time, and not the fun kind of bars.

Would really suck to get 7Sage in trouble too.

I'm not sure I understand -- did it specify that you can't disclose certain things?

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Updated first post to clarify what can and cannot be discussed.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

are you taking it tomorrow?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Updated first post to clarify what can and cannot be discussed.

Thanks @"Dillon A. Wright" ! I had no idea there was an NDA. Damn LSAC not f******* around.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

No, I wish I could have. :(

What about you?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    edited May 2017 3112 karma

I'm not sure if this is protected or not but I doubt it.

Did anyone else find it weird that we're not allowed writing utensils but are allowed scratch paper? Is this a sick joke?

4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

What about you?

nope. was going to but I have finals this week so decided to not do it

edited May 2017 1997 karma

@JustDoIt said:

Did anyone else find it weird that we're not allowed writing utensils but are allowed scratch paper? Is this a sick joke?

wait wtf.. I didn't notice this yet. Are you referring to this line

Prohibited nonelectronic items that test takers may not take into the testing center include, but are not limited to, books, dictionaries, rulers, any writing instrument not provided by LSAT test center staff?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

What about you?

nope. was going to but I have finals this week so decided to not do it

Damn. Well at least you're almost done :) Now to a summer of LSAT!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@JustDoIt said:

wait wtf.. I didn't notice this yet. Are you referring to this line

Prohibited nonelectronic items that test takers may not take into the testing center include, but are not limited to, books, dictionaries, rulers, any writing instrument not provided by LSAT test center staff?

WTF! Oh man, they must be paranoid about people with like spy pencils with cameras in them or something.

4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

yup!!! I haven't taken a PT since February since I knew I wanted to postpone to September. but when I was PTing, it was varying in the 160's. Been doing some drilling since then and will begin to PT beginning of June! hbu?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

yup!!! I haven't taken a PT since February since I knew I wanted to postpone to September. but when I was PTing, it was varying in the 160's. Been doing some drilling since then and will begin to PT beginning of June! hbu?

I basically fell off hard from winter of last year up until not too long ago. Finally I've gotten back into the groove of things this month. I'm seeing some real improvement and it's feeling good! Haven't taken any PTs in forever, but planning on shoring up my games skills first. Right now I'm going through the LG Bundle and making sure my games are where they need to be. I was doing good, but I got rusty due to taking months off. Aiming for Sept/December depending on my progress. I really need a sexy 170+ Most likely December :)

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

I'll be taking the Digital LSAT tomorrow at Boston College. I'll check in here tomorrow or Sunday and share whatever details I'm allowed to.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    I'll be taking the Digital LSAT tomorrow at Boston College. I'll check in here tomorrow or Sunday and share whatever details I'm allowed to.

Thanks! Lol love the handle btw

edited May 2017 3112 karma

I guess this the thread haha

3112 karma

@Mellow_Z I know. It's legit stupid.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@goingfor99th said:

Nice! Have fun, learn a bunch, and share what you're legal able to. I'm curious what kind of pencils ya'll are getting, haha.

1997 karma

For anyone curious.. the tablet sucks. You can't freely write and mark up passages.. only can use their built in underline/highlight functions that is bound to text.

11542 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    For anyone curious.. the tablet sucks. You can't freely write and mark up passages.. only can use their built in underline/highlight functions that is bound to text.

No stylus provided?

1997 karma

@Sprinkles said:

@Mellow_Z said:

No stylus provided?

There was. The software was just bullshit. Like it gave you the passages in digital format, and I was hoping the stylus basically just functioned as a pencil to where we could mark up the passage and draw all over it. The only interaction we got though, was via choosing the highlighter up top (similar to MS Word) and then dragging the stylus over the text in the passage. It was bound to the text too, so it would sporadically jump across multiple lines and random fuckery. 0/10, don't recommend.

11542 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@Sprinkles said:

@Mellow_Z said:

No stylus provided?

There was. The software was just bullshit. Like it gave you the passages in digital format, and I was hoping the stylus basically just functioned as a pencil to where we could mark up the passage and draw all over it. The only interaction we got though, was via choosing the highlighter up top (similar to MS Word) and then dragging the stylus over the text in the passage. It was bound to the text too, so it would sporadically jump across multiple lines and random fuckery. 0/10, don't recommend.

:neutral: this is going to take up so much time.

11542 karma

@Mellow_Z how did you manage with LG?? scrap paper I'm guessing?

3112 karma

I liked it much more tbh...except games

3112 karma

@goingfor99th I was at bc as well. Small world

11542 karma

@JustDoIt said:

Even though you couldn't write on the tablet besides underline/highlight?

1997 karma

@Sprinkles said:

Games I didn't like at all. I ended up writing a rule down on my paper wrong, which I'm attributing entirely to the tablet since it has never happened before.

The tablet is nice in some ways, but overall I think it needs refining. If they let you freehand the passages I'd give it a 10/10.

1997 karma

They gave you a keyboard for the writing section though.. that was a breeze. Although the keyboard they provided where small as hell. I need some tiny hands to make the normal resting hand layout work on that bad boy

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@Sprinkles said:

@Mellow_Z said:

No stylus provided?

Thanks for the review!

Seriously though: that sounds like some BS. Especially that restrictive highlighting function.

Were these Android tablets or something? I know LSAC's cheap ass ain't giving us iPads LMAO!

11542 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@Sprinkles said:

Games I didn't like at all. I ended up writing a rule down on my paper wrong, which I'm attributing entirely to the tablet since it has never happened before.

The tablet is nice in some ways, but overall I think it needs refining. If they let you freehand the passages I'd give it a 10/10.

Well it was a prototype test, so I'm sure they'll be making changes as the years progress.

3072 karma

They made us use a pen. Yuck.

3072 karma

LR on tablet is awesome. RC is not good because some people notate and the tablet (naturally) does not allow for the highly individualized notation that is critical to the success of many. LG on tablet sucks because you have to use a pen.

Overall it was a good experience but it needs refinement.

edited May 2017 3072 karma

I'm also not entirely sure how much the Digital LSAT will do for accessibility considering to best prepare for the LSAT you would need to be able to simulate test day conditions. That isn't very practical unless LSAC plans to release an official test-taking program, which I consider the LSAC unlikely to do given their paranoia surrounding confidentiality. Also, not everybody can afford a tablet, which is a huge accessibility issue.

I could see the Digital LSAT used in some exceptional cases, like if the test taker can't write or has some other sort of applicable disability, but the LSAT won't be going purely digital any time soon, if ever.

3072 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    @goingfor99th I was at bc as well. Small world

I was the douche there with the older guy in the red plaid shirt. :P

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    I'm also not entirely sure how much the Digital LSAT will do for accessibility considering to best prepare for the LSAT you would need to be able to simulate test day conditions. That isn't very practical unless LSAC plans to release an official test-taking program, which I consider the LSAC unlikely to do given their paranoia surrounding confidentiality. Also, not everybody can afford a tablet, which is a huge accessibility issue.

I could see the Digital LSAT used in some exceptional cases, like if the test taker can't write or has some other sort of disability, but the LSAT won't be going purely digital any time soon, if ever.

Great points, totally agree. Tablets present a huge accessibility issue and simulating test day conditions becomes hard unless we get every PT on the same program.

3112 karma

Looks like I'm the only person who liked it lmao

3112 karma

@Sprinkles said:

@JustDoIt said:

Why do you need to write on it? What's wrong with using scratch paper? TBH I think this is my one complaint. It would def be cool if you could, though I don't think it's essential. But I would almost prefer this format

11542 karma

@JustDoIt said:

@Sprinkles said:

@JustDoIt said:

Why do you need to write on it? What's wrong with using scratch paper? TBH I think this is my one complaint. It would def be cool if you could, though I don't think it's essential. But I would almost prefer this format

I would rather have everything placed together. In LG for example, I'd rather have all the rules/boards written and drawn out directly on the paper/tablet as opposed to doing that on a separate paper. To me, that can waste time and make you more susceptible to making silly mistakes.

3112 karma

@Sprinkles said:

@JustDoIt said:

@Sprinkles said:

@JustDoIt said:

I would rather have everything placed together. In LG for example, I'd rather have all the rules/boards written and drawn out directly on the paper/tablet as opposed to doing that on a separate paper. To me, that can waste time and make you more susceptible to making silly mistakes.

And this is a fair point. As I said my only complaint is with lg. But I didn't find this to be an issue with any other section

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

The problem with doing LG on a separate page is that looking from one page to another can cause one to become distracted looking between the pages and cause a delay between looking at the deductions you've already drawn. This definitely would make me vulnerable to mistakes! So for that purpose too, like @Sprinkles, I would prefer to have the games/diagrams all in one place.

3072 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    Looks like I'm the only person who liked it lmao

I loved LR--maybe a little too much.

edited May 2017 3072 karma

@Sprinkles said:

@JustDoIt said:

@Sprinkles said:

@JustDoIt said:

No doubt. It is something any seasoned test taker would have to prepare for.

Oh, did I mention they made us use a pen?

:D

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

I do a lot of LSAT studying on my ipad pro and use the apple pencil and it works great. Was this not similar?

And ditto on LG. It's hard to see the master game board drawn on the first page because it disappears as soon as you go on page 2. I usually cut it and move it over to page 2. But it still takes more space than needed.

11542 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@Sprinkles said:

@JustDoIt said:

@Sprinkles said:

@JustDoIt said:

EW. WUT. :neutral:

1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@Sprinkles said:

@Mellow_Z said:

No stylus provided?

Thanks for the review!

Seriously though: that sounds like some BS. Especially that restrictive highlighting function.

Were these Android tablets or something? I know LSAC's cheap ass ain't giving us iPads LMAO!

Samsungs. Maybe galaxy tab s3? About the height of the short side of paper. They are nice tablets dont get me wrong.. It was all on how they developed the app.

1997 karma

@Sami said:
    I do a lot of LSAT studying on my ipad pro and use the apple pencil and it works great. Was this not similar?

And ditto on LG. It's hard to see the master game board drawn on the first page because it disappears as soon as you go on page 2. I usually cut it and move it over to page 2. But it still takes more space than needed.

Imagine using your ipad.. but instead of drawing you can only highlight text like in a word document. That's basically what it was.

@goingfor99th said:

I don't think they'd care. GRE doesn't release their software.. nor do the other grad tests as far as I'm aware.

3112 karma

@goingfor99th said:

I agree it. It definitely favored people who knew what they were doing. There was a girl next to me trying to bubble (guess) on as many as she could during the end of the section. Def would have been easier on a scantron