Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess which law school is considering GRE?

dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
edited May 2017 in Law School Admissions 1644 karma

The answer is: Northwestern
I was not surprised to see more T14-T20 law schools take GRE. Yet, the speed is so FAST.

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/05/another-elite-law-school-eyes-accepting-the-gre/

Comments

• TiresiasEnVivoTiresiasEnVivo Free Trial Member
    15 karma

dennisgerrard-is your avatar Jürgen Klopp's head on a painting of Napoleon?

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

@TiresiasEnVivo Yes. I thought it was Bismarck before.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Not surprised. Within 5 years I bet all T14s will accept the GRE. Only makes sense! I don't think it will change much too much. More unqualified applicants with Thespian Dance Theory degrees looking for the next thing to do in life. But, eventually, I think it might be a good thing!

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Not surprised. Within 5 years I bet all T14s will accept the GRE. Only makes sense! I don't think it will change much too much. More unqualified applicants with Thespian Dance Theory degrees looking for the next thing to do in life. But, eventually, I think it might be a good thing!

Thespian Dance Theory degree! That made me laugh.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tams2018 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Thespian Dance Theory degree! That made me laugh.

Hahaha! I forgot there I got that from. lol :)

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

I'm so curious about what the applicant data is going to be like for admitted students who applied with the GRE. I'm also very curious about the size of GRE to law school pilot programs.

• goblue08goblue08 Core Member
    48 karma

Once Harvard decided to utilize the GRE it was only a matter of time before someone followed. I am a bit shocked it has happened so quickly. As @"Alex Divine" said I don't think it will be too long before the rest of the top tier schools join the party.

• sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
    157 karma

I guess it won't make huge difference for students. As long as the top law schools are not accepting more students, it is still very competitive to enter those schools. Actually it might become even more competitive.

Another thought is that those law school are trying to attract more international students, since GRE is much more popular in countries like China and India than LSAT.

I am a little worried about LSAT makers now... they are smart guys.

1644 karma

@sjiang666 Same to GMAT. I guess you are one of International Students like me:)

• logicallyinclinedlogicallyinclined Alum Member
    39 karma

Hoping the competition will motivate LSAC to modernize the test a bit. We're already seeing positive changes now (Digital LSAT Pilot, talks of increasing test dates, etc.)

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited June 2017 1997 karma

At this rate, it will be years before there is a wide-scale adoption of GRE. With that being said, ABA won't be reporting median scores for the GRE students since not everyone accepts it. Without them reporting GRE scores, there will still be a preference for high LSAT scores by law schools. A 99% on the GRE likely equates to maybe a 90% on the LSAT? (Entirely speculating, but the GRE is a joke compared to the LSAT) and there isn't any correlation between GRE score and BAR passage rates, so law schools will likely still favor high LSAT scores since they will decrease in occurrence and it will be harder to keep those medians up. If you can do well on the LSAT, regardless of what happens with the GRE, it won't matter. You will be safe and will be admitted to some decent schools.

• sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
    157 karma

@dennisgerrard haha yes! ;)

1644 karma

So I meet one of professors at University of Washington(Where Dean Testy was from), she said GRE will take some time(at least next few years) to share a place with LSAT.