Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Testing center conditions

OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
in General 2326 karma

I took the LSAT yesterday at the University of Delaware. They had us sit in an auditorium, and the only desk space we had were those small side desks that you often find at the side of auditorium seats. There was not enough space to even lay out the entire test booklet, let alone the the answer sheet. You would think that LSAC would ensure that testing centers are adequate for test takers. These testing conditions were particularly difficult for the LG section, which requires a lot of writing in the test book, and looking back to another page, where the main diagram is.

Comments

• missyk77missyk77 Member
    40 karma

I had the same thing happen at Ohio State for the February LSAT. It totally derailed me and I did poorly on the test. The way LSAC describes the items you're allowed to have on your "desktop" during the test implies you would have the space to do so. I never would've imagined the test center would have tiny desks like that. I was going to file a complaint with LSAC after my February test but when I looked into it I realized that the tiny desk scenario is pretty common, and apparently somewhere in LSAC's rules it says you can bring a board to put on the small desktop so that's their solution to the issue I guess. I applied for fall 2017 and considered writing an LSAT addendum but realized it would just draw attention to my score and probably look whiny. I know my score hurt me though with both acceptance offers and scholarship money. I took the June test yesterday at another location with tables and it made all the difference (I'm hoping to get more scholarship money with a better score). The small desks are a huge disadvantage and I wish LSAC would not allow it, and at a minimum they should alert test takers to the potential issue before they show up at the testing center and have a nervous breakdown.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited June 2017 1997 karma

@missyk77 said:
    I had the same thing happen at Ohio State for the February LSAT. It totally derailed me and I did poorly on the test.

I took the digital LSAT at OSU and I couldn't have been happier that I did. I ended up registering at another school in the state (a 2 hour drive), but I know that they have awesome full span, double desks in brand new buildings. Beats the hell out of those cramped little elementary school desks in a building that lacks any and all ventilation and air flow.

@ everyone else, I'd highly recommend looking up test center reviews before you go. It will save you from this miserable experience like @uhinberg outlined. If you can't find any reviews online, reach out to the closest UG's poli-sci department and see if you can be put in touch with someone who has taken it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    I took the LSAT yesterday at the University of Delaware. They had us sit in an auditorium, and the only desk space we had were those small side desks that you often find at the side of auditorium seats. There was not enough space to even lay out the entire test booklet, let alone the the answer sheet. You would think that LSAC would ensure that testing centers are adequate for test takers. These testing conditions were particularly difficult for the LG section, which requires a lot of writing in the test book, and looking back to another page, where the main diagram is.

More common than it should be. Hear about a bunch of places with those tiny desks. It's a real shame because it is no doubt a disadvantage. I actually started practicing at my smaller desk just incase I get stuck with those small desks. I researched my testing location, but god knows, I just wanna be ready for anything.

• GrecoRomanGrecoRoman Alum Member
    edited June 2017 140 karma

Ya it's so important to pick the right test center. There are some websites and blogs out there with reviews of the centers. http://www.simugator.com/lsat-test-site-rater.php

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@uhinberg very common. I took the test years ago at a newer facility with those type desks. I think it's quite common if the test is given at a university because they're normally given in auditorium type settings. They had us skip a seat. Idk if this was to allow for more space on the other desktop or just because those desks are usually super close.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@"work all week" said:
    Ya it's so important to pick the right test center. There are some websites and blogs out there with reviews of the centers. http://www.simugator.com/lsat-test-site-rater.php

7Sage also has a test center review page:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/categories/test-center-reviews

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

Unfortunately, this is an issue that is way more common than it should be. I believe the LSAC has recommendations that it gives testing centers, but testing centers are not required to have desks that are large enough to place all materials, which is unfortunate.

This really highlights the importance of researching testing centers, reading reviews, and visiting the test center. This is not always possible because you might only have one test center near you. That being said, I highly recommend treating this issue as seriously as studying for the LSAT.

@uhinberg Thank you very much for bringing up this issue. I am really sorry about your experience. If you feel that it majorly impacted your performance, I would recommend that you contact the LSAC and see what solutions they may offer.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Thanks @Daniel.Sieradzki. Researching testing centers is not always foolproof, though, because testing centers do not always use the same rooms from one administration to the next. I checked out reviews for U of D, and they sometimes use classrooms (apparently with adequate desk space), sometimes auditoriums.

2301 karma

@uhinberg That is a really good point I had not thought of. I wonder what the best way to deal with that is. Maybe a call to the college to ask where the test is taking place might help? When I called the college where I took the LSAT, I asked if I could go into the room where the test was going to take place. They were happy to help and let me check out the room.

However, I realize that may not always work. Due to space restrictions, a college might change rooms at the last moment, which would suck.

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:
    @uhinberg That is a really good point I had not thought of. I wonder what the best way to deal with that is. Maybe a call to the college to ask where the test is taking place might help? When I called the college where I took the LSAT, I asked if I could go into the room where the test was going to take place. They were happy to help and let me check out the room.

However, I realize that may not always work. Due to space restrictions, a college might change rooms at the last moment, which would suck.

Which department did you call to find that information out?

2301 karma

@RafaelBernard I called the college's testing center. However, I got lucky and the women in charge of the testing center was also the proctor for the LSAT. She was happy to answer my questions and tell me about the testing center.

I would recommend calling a college's testing office/center or the front desk and ask about where they hold the LSAT. Good luck!

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:
    @RafaelBernard I called the college's testing center. However, I got lucky and the women in charge of the testing center was also the proctor for the LSAT. She was happy to answer my questions and tell me about the testing center.

I would recommend calling a college's testing office/center or the front desk and ask about where they hold the LSAT. Good luck!

Thanks!