Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great short book for gaining mastery on Statistics/Averages questions

vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
edited June 2017 in General 1084 karma

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share a great book I came across called "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff (it's an old classic)
https://www.amazon.ca/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728

If you are like me and numbers aren't your strongest suit, this book is a life saver. It's short and easy to read (you could whip through it in a day) and will help you a lot with questions on the LSAT that have to do with finding statistical errors or finding problems with uses of averages, which is where I found I had some weaknesses. Highly recommend.

Here is the overview:
"Darrell Huff runs the gamut of every popularly used type of statistic, probes such things as the sample study, the tabulation method, the interview technique, or the way the results are derived from the figures, and points out the countless number of dodges which are used to fool rather than to inform."

Comments

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    326 karma

Thank you!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting in it's own right!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Thanks! I love outside readings that help with the LSAT.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited June 2017 1084 karma

you're welcome, all. I think you'll enjoy it.

@jatz1488, it is totally a fascinating read in it's own right. I feel like I'll never look at statistics the same way again :)