Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will it hurt to delay admissions a semester for the LSAT??

Hey, Everyone,

So, I took my first LSAT in February of this year. I didn't study for the test and lets just say my score reflected it. I am a Junior in college and that means Law School Applications should be going in this Fall. However, I am not sure I will have a score that is good enough to get into the Law School of my choosing. I plan to take the September LSAT, but if I don't like my score I don't want to apply with it. But, if I don't do well on the September LSAT, then I will really have a problem this fall semester. I will be taking 18 credit hours and working around 25-30 hours a week at an attorney's office. That being said, I fear that if September score is a floozy, then I am not going to have time to devote to studying for the December LSAT, which would still give me time to apply before the March deadline passes.

What I am getting at is this: Will it hurt me more than help me to apply next fall instead of this fall, so I could devote all summer next summer preparing for the LSAT, again? Would it be worth it? Or would it do more harm than good?

As of now, I have a pretty strong application. I have a 4.0 GPA at my current college. I have won several awards at Honors Convocation Ceremonies, and I have worked for an attorney's office since freshmen year, all year around. I have also been on Deans List/President's List every semester since entering college.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Best,
Paigelynn

Comments

• GrecoRomanGrecoRoman Alum Member
    140 karma

If there is any harm in delaying your application(and I don't believe there is), it would surely be far less than a poor LSAT score. So delay away and get a great score and go to the school of your dreams, possibly with money if you score high enough on the LSAT.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

You have like 3 months until the September LSAT. Depending on which school you are trying to get into, you can muster up a score that would be passable...or you could also be a very quick learner and only need 3 months to score your best score. Either way, if you do poorly then you can try again in December even given your hectic schedule (im sure you can squeeze in a little time here and there for review). If all else fails, you can try again next year. Most schools just look at your highest and LSAC has recently lifted the restriction of 3tests every 2 years or whatever it was. So unless money is tight, I'd give them a go. It doesnt make sense to me to delay your app a whole year... just because you're not sure if you can do well or not.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I would put all my energy right now into keeping the 4.0 and study and take the LSAT when you have the time you project you will next year. It's a win-win and definitely will not hurt you and only serve to help you.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Definitely agree with @"Alex Divine" . Guard that 4.0 and put your best foot forward at that attorney's office. I can't imagine you will have enough time to study in a meaningful way with those other commitments in the fall. Do what you can this summer. 3 months is enough time for some time people.

Either way, if you do poorly then you can try again in December even given your hectic schedule (im sure you can squeeze in a little time here and there for review). If all else fails, you can try again next year. Most schools just look at your highest and LSAC has recently lifted the restriction of 3tests every 2 years or whatever it was. So unless money is tight, I'd give them a go. It doesnt make sense to me to delay your app a whole year... just because you're not sure if you can do well or not.

@fisherp be careful with advice such as this from @Kewlaidd . What is often overlooked in this approach is the wasting of test materials in a rush to sit for the test before you are ready. And by "ready", I mean ready to hit your target score. Burning valuable PTs is a HUGE mistake that many of us, including myself, made leading up to a first take. As you study this summer, I recommend going at a steady pace and not rushing or skipping in order to take in September. It may take you all summer just to finish the core curriculum. You don't need to make the decision regarding the September test now nor you really. And if you decide to postpone, don't let it get you down. You are doing what you need to do -- just make sure you take advantage of that time. You could probably fool proof 1 LG per week during fall, for example.

Best of luck

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    Definitely agree with @"Alex Divine" . Guard that 4.0 and put your best foot forward at that attorney's office. I can't imagine you will have enough time to study in a meaningful way with those other commitments in the fall. Do what you can this summer. 3 months is enough time for some time people.

Either way, if you do poorly then you can try again in December even given your hectic schedule (im sure you can squeeze in a little time here and there for review). If all else fails, you can try again next year. Most schools just look at your highest and LSAC has recently lifted the restriction of 3tests every 2 years or whatever it was. So unless money is tight, I'd give them a go. It doesnt make sense to me to delay your app a whole year... just because you're not sure if you can do well or not.

@fisherp be careful with advice such as this from @Kewlaidd . What is often overlooked in this approach is the wasting of test materials in a rush to sit for the test before you are ready. And by "ready", I mean ready to hit your target score. Burning valuable PTs is a HUGE mistake that many of us, including myself, made leading up to a first take. As you study this summer, I recommend going at a steady pace and not rushing or skipping in order to take in September. It may take you all summer just to finish the core curriculum. You don't need to make the decision regarding the September test now nor you really. And if you decide to postpone, don't let it get you down. You are doing what you need to do -- just make sure you take advantage of that time. You could probably fool proof 1 LG per week during fall, for example.

Best of luck

I went in with the assumption that if you need a certain score, you wouldn't sit in for the exam with an average of anything that is significantly less. Your right in saying that it is possible to waste PTs by being inefficient but you make an effort to be efficient in your PT use. Again, it depends what OPs goals are and where they currently stand. I dont think 3 months is enough if youre trying to go from 150-170 in MOST cases, but I believe that 3 months is enough time for significant improvement.

However, i did overlook the fact that they have a 4.0 GPA and great academic standing. If your goal is to go into the top 20, youd need anywhere from the high 160s to 170s. We dont know if this is a realistic goal for OP. It might be, and in that case we're telling them to waste a whole year....

• fisherpfisherp Member
    40 karma

@"work all week" Thank you !!

• fisherpfisherp Member
    40 karma

@Kewlaidd How many times can you take the LSAT now?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

No harm in delaying whatsoever. You spent four years on your GPA, and now you're going to rush the LSAT which is probably the more important stat? No, take your time and do it right.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@fisherp said:
    @Kewlaidd How many times can you take the LSAT now?

As many as you want, but it is still advantageous to take it as few times as possible. Having 3+ LSAT takes will be viewed as a negative on your application.