Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I retake?

goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
edited July 2017 in General 3072 karma

So, I'm faced with a dilemma. I scored a 169 on the June LSAT but I really badly wanted a 170+ on my exam. My 169 is nice because it still puts me in the 97th percentile on my score report, and, coupled with my GPA, it's really strong for 9 out of the T14 schools. My top choice is Duke, which is an easy target for me, but I am a sucker for prestige and I want to be in the 99th percentile if for no other reason than that I am massively insecure. I'm afraid to retake, though, because I think that a high score with a single take looks pretty strong on an application, and I had two amazing sections that schools will likely notice, which could compensate for my bad RC section in the minds of some admissions officers. (My score breakdown was -6 RC (ugh), -1 LR (25/26), -3 LR (22/25), and -0 LG, for what is typically a high raw score of 91/101.)

If I retake, I run the risk of weakening my application, since it will be difficult for me to improve from where I scored on the two 'easier' section types. I also don't know if I can muster up the ambition to study RC intensively for two months in an effort to guarantee a section score increase. Also, I've increased my score from a diagnostic of 146 over the course of 10-11 months, so I'm a bit tired of the LSAT, if I'm being honest. As much as I want a 170+, I don't know if the potential rewards of a retake outweigh the risks.

What do you guys think? Should I retake or am I being too much of a Type A?

(Please don't misunderstand me: I really am proud of my score and I know that many would kill to have it.)

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I think the risk of "weakening" your application is fairly remote. You earned a killer score on your first take. But if you're only taking the test reach the mythic 170, I'd say your time may be better spent on sharpening your PS, DS, why-x statements. Then again, 1 point could mean $10ks in scholarship.

Basically, I don't see a downside to taking again. So if you've got the time and energy, go for it.

• ajcrowelajcrowel Free Trial Member
    207 karma

If you have an LSAT score below a 176, with the way the U.S. News rankings work there is never disadvantage to retaking in the context of application strength. The only real costs are time and money. You could score a 132 for your next take and Penn will stil take you over Joe Smith with a 3.7 and a 168 all else being equal. It's really mostly all about the numbers. And the highest number is what counts. What looks better than a 169 to law school admission committees? A 169, and a17X. Bottom line though, you have a 169 at minimum.

I'm unsure what you mean by saying that schools will take notice of your section performance? Unlike the MCAT schools don't have access to your section scores nor is there any indication that they'd care if they did. It would be extremely easy to give applicants section percentiles but they don't, probably for the reason that it's superfluous and unuseful to evaluate candidates.

So I don't see any downside to retaking unless of course you'd rather use the time for something else or spend the 200 bucks or whatever elsewhere.

Retake, score higher, and then go to the school of your choice or draw scholarship money for the win.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited July 2017 3072 karma

@ajcrowel said:

I'm unsure what you mean by saying that schools will take notice of your section performance? Unlike the MCAT schools don't have access to your section scores nor is there any indication that they'd care if they did. It would be extremely easy to give applicants section percentiles but they don't, probably for the reason that it's superfluous and unuseful to evaluate candidates.

My pre-law advisor claims differently. She told me specifically that schools do have access to section scores. Can someone confirm either way?

Also, thanks to both of you for the information. If I can motivate myself, I'll try to convince myself to study RC. :-P

5320 karma

I have no idea whether they have access to individual section scores, but I would be surprised to learn that they cared since their ranking is only affected by the total score.

edited July 2017 3072 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    I have no idea whether they have access to individual section scores, but I would be surprised to learn that they cared since their ranking is only affected by the total score.

I know overall score is primary concern but when making decisions between all candidates with a 169, a perfect section score would, intuitively at least, seem more appealing. It's not unreasonable to think it's a soft factor.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    So, I'm faced with a dilemma. I scored a 169 on the June LSAT but I really badly wanted a 170+ on my exam. My 169 is nice because it still puts me in the 97th percentile on my score report, and, coupled with my GPA, it's really strong for 9 out of the T14 schools. My top choices are Duke and Georgetown because I want to move somewhere warm and not in the Northeast. I have a great chance at both of these schools as it stands (Duke is easy target/safety, Georgetown is safety), but I am a sucker for prestige and I want to be in the 99th percentile if for no other reason than because I am massively insecure. I'm afraid to retake, though, because I think that a high score with a single take looks pretty strong on an application, and I had two amazing sections that schools will likely take notice of, which could compensate for my bad RC section. (My score breakdown was -6 RC (ugh), -1 LR (25/26), -3 LR (22/25), and -0 LG, for what is typically a high raw score of 91/101.)

If I retake, I run the risk of making my application weaker, since it will be difficult for me to improve from where I scored on the two 'easier' section types. I also don't know if I can muster up the ambition to study RC intensively for two months in an effort to guarantee a section score increase. As much as I want a 170+, I don't know if the potential rewards of a retake outweigh the risks.

What do you guys think? Should I retake or am I being too much of a Type A?

(Please don't misunderstand me: I really am proud of my score and I know that many would kill to have it.)

Yeah, I see no downside -- minus the $200 bucks -- to retake. I am a believer that we can always improve and from what you've written, it seems like deep down you want another chance to kill this test. Though, a 169 is a freakin' excellent score. Also, if you're ever scared to do something in life, there's usually a good reason to do it. Disclaimer: within sanity, lol. So face your fear, get that RC score down and retake! Besides, you don't have to retake on the next available date in September.I understand you probably want to, but if it takes another cycle to hit a 170+, I say so be it. You'll definitely get some $ at Duke and $$ at GT depending on your GPA.

5320 karma

when making decisions between all candidates with a 169, a perfect section score would, intuitively at least, seem more appealing. It's not unreasonable to think it's a soft factor.

I suppose so. You'd have to ask someone in the know. My gut tells me that if two applicants had identical topline LSAT scores and identical GPAs then the PS, LOR, etc would come into play before sectional scores.

But if we operate under the assumption that they do consider individual section scores, it is equally as likely that a particular school would prefer a well-rounded applicant who missed the same number in each of the 4 sections to a less balanced candidate such as yourself who was perfect in 1 section and reciprocally weaker in another.

My point is that I don't think this potentiality is significant or defined enough to be factored into your decision. I see no downside to taking again so long as you don't neglect the other aspects of your application.

Congrats on the rock star score and best of luck!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@jkatz1488 said:

I know overall score is primary concern but when making decisions between all candidates with a 169, a perfect section score would, intuitively at least, seem more appealing. It's not unreasonable to think it's a soft factor.

Schools don't publish individual section scores, so I highly doubt that has any significance at all. You might view it as being seen as exceptional in one category, but someone else might see it as you being weak in another category.

I wasn't able to find any information online confirming or denying whether schools see individual sections.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    1084 karma

I think if you don't need it to get into the school you want, why bother? I'd spend that time instead crafting a great personal essay and perfecting the rest of your application.

I understand the perfectionist drive, but really, LSAT is just the beginning of your law career and by the time you actually are in school it will probably matter less to you. Down the road, it also isn't a one or two point increase on your LSAT score that will make you a great lawyer. I'd say just keep striving for the best on all your next steps. I wouldn't redo this one.

So if the desire to do it again is purely about ego (and I don't mean that in a critical way, I totally get it as I can be a perfectionist too) and really has nothing to do with whether you'll get in the school you want, I'd say pass on it.

My 2 cents.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I hope schools don't look at section scores. I took the undisclosed February test so I can't even look at mine. They accept the February test so I would hope I am not at a disadvantage.

P.S. I am not actually concerned. I'm just pointing out another reason law schools do not consider section scores.

(You should retake for the potential scholarship money. If you don't care about the money retake for a shot at Harvard.

If you don't care about either, I'd like to know why, but wouldn't recommend taking it for the prestige of a 170. It's cheaper to get your 170 on a practice test.

I am retaking a 172, but my GPA might not be as good as I imagine yours to be and I want either a big scholarship or an excellent LRAP since I am planning on public interest law.)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

From my understanding, schools see your score in it's entirety and not just by section. The exception being the writing sample. HYS don't award merit $$$, but a higher LSAT will never hurt ;)

3072 karma

Thanks, guys! It's good to have a bunch of different perspectives to consider.

I think I'm going to opt out of the retake. I've already proven to myself that I can succeed at the highest level on the LSAT when I really buckle down, and that's enough for me. I'll invest the time into my essays instead. :)

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@goingfor99th said:

I think I'm going to opt out of the retake. I've already proven to myself that I can succeed at the highest level on the LSAT when I really buckle down, and that's enough for me. I'll invest the time into my essays instead. :)

If your entire motivation to retake was for added prestige or to prove something to yourself, I think you made the right choice, 100%. Those are, IMO, pretty weak reasons.
    Besides, I think you've proved a lot to yourself with a 169, which is a really good score.

3072 karma

@uhinberg said:

@goingfor99th said:

If your entire motivation to retake was for added prestige or to prove something to yourself, I think you made the right choice, 100%. Those are, IMO, pretty weak reasons.
    Besides, I think you've proved a lot to yourself with a 169, which is a really good score.

I agree entirely. Thanks for the support.