Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Canadians go to HLS or YLS over UofT?

vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
in General 1084 karma

I had a general question I was hoping some people here might have some views or insights on.
I'm Canadian and have done a ton of research on different law schools. University of Toronto is our #1 law school here, and I'd be totally happy to get in (average LSAT is 167, which I think is totally doable for me based on my current prep tests and my soft credentials). Although we have some other great law schools here in Canada, I don't really have a desire to move anywhere else in Canada, and UofT is the best, so I'm aiming high.

My absolute dream school, though, is Yale. It's mostly because of my more academic bent and I love their small class sizes and 6:1 student teacher ratio. They also really support people to take non-traditional paths with their law degree and I also feel I'd meet some exceptional people. I also realize getting into Yale is a bit of a lottery, so I'm speaking in hypotheticals if I can score a 170 or higher I'll at least apply (I have a book published with New York University Press and a few other creds that I think might make me at least worth looking at if my LSAT is high enough).

I'm considered also applying to Harvard. I'll be honest that Harvard doesn't entice me as much as Yale. Harvard seems much more geared towards streaming people into corporate law (nothing wrong with that if that is what you want to do, but not sure if it is for me). That said, it is still a great school and brand obviously, but it seems to me that Yale has a much better repayment program that adjusts to whatever work you decide to do after...

Anyways, that all said, I guess my larger question is whether it is worth going to either Yale or Harvard if one got in as a Canadian. That is, do people think the cost is worth the trade off of the prestige? For Yale I feel it could be because the program feels so up my alley of interest and is really unique, but even then I wonder if the price tag is worth it. A law degree at UofToronto is $32,000 a year, compared to 60K at Yale or Harvard.

I imagine that a degree from Yale or Harvard would be pretty transferable back to Canada if I decide to return after my degree? But I don't really know. I don't really have a strong desire to stay in the U.S after I graduate.

I realize I'm jumping the gun a bit, but it would be useful to get some feedback on this because it will help determine how many schools I apply to (each application is a lot of work and I want to put my best into them).

Thanks!

Comments

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

If you plan on living in Canada you might as well just go to U of T and save the money.

But if you have the money and can get into them i would go to any of the others.at least apply.

I think if you got in and went you wont regret it, whereas if you dont youll look back wondering if you should have went.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1084 karma

@MichaelTheArchAngel
    Yeah, I hear you.
    I definitely can't afford 60K a year (really 90K when you add health insurance, living expenses, etc.), but at the same time, I feel at a place like Yale so many doors could open to you that would not open elsewhere. Just the people you'd meet alone and the connections you'd make. It might make the money worth it.

But yeah UofT is a totally great school and would be easy to get a job with.

Probably good to at least apply to all three, if I have the scores, and then see from there

609 karma

Also U of T has a mature category (people out of school for at least 5 years) so if thats you, you might not even need more than 165 to get in.

Also York and Queens are other Ontario options. Lastly, if you get into U of T Law you can still go to Yale or Harvard later for 1 year for LLM! I saw that from one of Queen's professors who went to Queens for undergrad U of T for JD then Harvard for LLM.

• RyanCoulterRyanCoulter Member
    edited July 2017 21 karma

I'm in a similar position (as a Canadian). Unlike you though I'm following the money in Canada so U of T is my best option (either that or Queen's, depending on many factors).

I'd look at the various alumni for each school, to see what people have actually done with their degrees. Maybe specifically what Canadians have done with a top US law degree (as you seem to want to come back to Canada).

Or even maybe contact Yale law (or attend a information session) and see what exactly separates their experience/degree from other top schools.

Also the money is not necessarily Yale being double U of T. Cost of living, scholarships offered, financial aid given, government versus bank loans all factor in (and will for my U of T vs. Queen's decision

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1184 karma

It's nice to meet some fellow Canadians on here ☺️. I am a Canadian who currently lives in Texas and wants to practice here. I would consider moving back home to Toronto depending on a lot of factors, mainly because I get homesick sometimes . U of T is an amazing school but I think if it this way: with a degree with U of T you may have a monopoly in Canada, but with a degree at Yale or Harvard you will have a monopoly in the world and I would assume would beat out U of T grads for any job you desire . I say if your dream is Yale go 1000% for it and don't limit yourself . The opportunities from an Ivy are limitless and should you want to leave Canada one day you would definitely have that option. Even if you don't care to live in the states, it is 3 years of your life and then you can always head back up North. Although I desire to stay in Texas, I would certainly leave for an opportunity at Yale or Harvard should I get in just because it will offer me the experience of a lifetime and opportunities I could not get anywhere else.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

If you want to work internationally, HLS is the better choice. It's more well known globally than even Yale. If you plan to practice in the states, HLS/Y seems like the better choice, still. If you plan on living and working in Canada U of T is the way to go in most circumstances.

1084 karma

@MichaelTheArchAngel
    I didn't realize there was a different LSAT median for mature students. Is that true? I'm nearly 10 years out of undergrad so I'm definitely mature student :) Good point on the LLM. I'll keep that in mind.

@ryancoulter96
    thanks and good luck! Can I ask why you chose Queens over Osgoode as an alternative to UofT? I don't know a ton about Queens.

@ElleWoods77
    Nice to meet some Canadians on here too!
    Yeah I have been thinking about things a lot like you. I mean, who knows, I may end up wanting to stay in the U.S., I'm just not entirely sure. I think it's kind of a political mess there right now :) That could change though. I just think Canada is a bit more stable, but I guess that could change at any time too.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely apply to Yale (still not sure about Harvard), and I guess if I get in I can decide from there. It does seem like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

1084 karma

@"Alex Divine"
    yeah not sure if I want to work internationally, but it would be good to have the option open.
    You think Harvard is more respected than Yale internationally?

edited July 2017 1184 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @MichaelTheArchAngel
    I didn't realize there was a different LSAT median for mature students. Is that true? I'm nearly 10 years out of undergrad so I'm definitely mature student :) Good point on the LLM. I'll keep that in mind.

@ryancoulter96
    thanks and good luck! Can I ask why you chose Queens over Osgoode as an alternative to UofT? I don't know a ton about Queens.

@ElleWoods77
    Nice to meet some Canadians on here too!
    Yeah I have been thinking about things a lot like you. I mean, who knows, I may end up wanting to stay in the U.S., I'm just not entirely sure. I think it's kind of a political mess there right now :) That could change though. I just think Canada is a bit more stable, but I guess that could change at any time too.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely apply to Yale (still not sure about Harvard), and I guess if I get in I can decide from there. It does seem like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Oh I completely understand, believe me I think about moving back to Canada everyday. What keeps me focused is the legal educational and employment opportunities here . After hopefully attending an amazing law school, I may take the bar here and in Ontario so I have the flexibility to work with both countries. I am hoping the political climate will change as well, however don't let anybody deter you from your dreams and your goals. If Yale is where you want to be don't let anybody or anything stop you. No problem, its what us Canadians do :).

edited July 2017 609 karma

@"vanessa fisher"

Concerning U of T
    LSAT is still important for U of T as well I just believe that Mature category takes into consideration everything else more so than the numbers.

From the U of T website:

https://www.law.utoronto.ca/admissions/jd-admissions/admissions-policies#MatureApplicants

"_Mature Applicants

_Mature applicants are those who have or will have at least five complete years of non-academic experience by September of the year of entry. The years of non-academic experience need not be consecutive, but must have been undertaken independently of academic work. Such experience may consist of both remunerated work and unpaid labour, including the care and raising of children.

In addition to an applicant's academic record, the Committee will consider an applicant's ability to organize his or her life and work, ability to reason, analyze and engage in intellectual inquiry, and past experience. The Committee may place less emphasis on the applicant's academic record where there has been a significant lapse of time since its completion or where adverse personal or socio-economic circumstances, including linguistic and cultural barriers, have affected its development.

For those mature applicants with fewer than two years of undergraduate university study, the Admissions Committee may give greater weight to other evidence of ability to study law successfully, such as experience or success in another field of endeavour. However, in view of the large number of qualified applicants who have at some time demonstrated their academic ability in a university program, those applicants with no university will find it virtually impossible to gain admission. Over the last decade no applicants have been admitted without some university background.

There is no target or quota on the number of mature candidates admitted, but there has been a steady increase in both the number and the competitiveness of mature applicants. In recent years, approximately 300 applications have been received annually. As a result the Mature category has been virtually as competitive as the General category."__

edited July 2017 609 karma

http://law.queensu.ca/jd-admissions/admission-information/first-year

For Queens its Access category considers age and life experience
    and their numbers are gpa 3.3 lsat 154

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @"Alex Divine"
    yeah not sure if I want to work internationally, but it would be good to have the option open.
    You think Harvard is more respected than Yale internationally?

I wouldn't use the world respected, as I am not quite sure that's the correct nomenclature. HLS though does enjoy a more well known reputation internationally. It arguably has more lay prestige even here in the the US. Again, arguable. And we are in the law school bubble where we know the rating and have internalized them. Ask a random person from the streets of Queens working in a factory which school is better for law: H or Y? I think the point is the Harvard name travels farther. Internationally speaking, there is no doubt it enjoys a more well known name.

That's the thing with deciding law schools between countries and all the unfair choices law students may have to make before deciding. I think the option is always good, yeah, sure. Then again, I think the regional perspective should function as the central part of your choosing law schools.

What type of law are you most interested in? This could be a big deciding factor. If it's any sort of US corporate law, and you have the chance at HY, then I may very well consider those.

@ElleWoods77 yeah I think it is a good idea to have that flexibility, and thanks for the support!

@MichaelTheArchAngel thanks for the post. I hadn't read that section, so that was useful. My general sense is that if you are a mature applicant, that your GPA especially counts less. Good to know that in general they are looking more holistically at your application. It makes sense that if you are straight out of college they would put more weight on the LSAT cause they don't have a lot else to work off of from your life.

Interesting point about more mature students being admitted also. I've heard from other lawyers I talked to that they often feel no one should attend law school till 30. LOL. Of course there shouldn't be a strict rule, I don't think, but I think the sentiment they had was that too many young people get in without exploring themselves first and end up regretting it. From the lawyers I spoke to, it did seem that those who went into law as a second career enjoyed it more. I wonder if this is partly why mature students are starting to be favored more at UofT? I have heard some similar things about Yale, that they like mature students.

@"Alex Divine" yeah that makes sense re: Harvard.
    I mean there is the appeal of the brand. At the same time, I think from all the research I've done that Yale is actually the better school (at least by my interests). I think overall it has a less competitive cut-throat culture and also the small class size thing shouldn't be underestimated. You make way more connections with teachers and staff and speakers and that can make a huge difference even for future prospects of work.

I don't really have a desire to do corporate law, which is partly why I questioned whether to apply to Harvard. I do tend to see it as more geared to streamlining graduates in that direction, from the research I've done. Yale encourages alternative paths and I think generally takes care of you better.

Regarding my own interests. They are a bit varied and I'm also open to changing or shaping them while in law school, as often happens. I could see myself going the more academic route eventually and even teaching (although I'd practice first). I have some interest in employment law as well (it fits with my background expertise). I'm also interested in specializing in litigation.

It's the scholarly rigor of Yale and the philosophical bent that attracts me a lot, I won't deny. They have a first year elective course in the philosophy of Law and Beauty as well as one in Reason and Passion in the Law. I mean, really??!! I feel in love :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @ElleWoods77 yeah I think it is a good idea to have that flexibility, and thanks for the support!

@MichaelTheArchAngel thanks for the post. I hadn't read that section, so that was useful. My general sense is that if you are a mature applicant, that your GPA especially counts less. Good to know that in general they are looking more holistically at your application. It makes sense that if you are straight out of college they would put more weight on the LSAT cause they don't have a lot else to work off of from your life.

Interesting point about more mature students being admitted also. I've heard from other lawyers I talked to that they often feel no one should attend law school till 30. LOL. Of course there shouldn't be a strict rule, I don't think, but I think the sentiment they had was that too many young people get in without exploring themselves first and end up regretting it. From the lawyers I spoke to, it did seem that those who went into law as a second career enjoyed it more. I wonder if this is partly why mature students are starting to be favored more at UofT? I have heard some similar things about Yale, that they like mature students.

@"Alex Divine" yeah that makes sense re: Harvard.
    I mean there is the appeal of the brand. At the same time, I think from all the research I've done that Yale is actually the better school (at least by my interests). I think overall it has a less competitive cut-throat culture and also the small class size thing shouldn't be underestimated. You make way more connections with teachers and staff and speakers and that can make a huge difference even for future prospects of work.

I don't really have a desire to do corporate law, which is partly why I questioned whether to apply to Harvard. I do tend to see it as more geared to streamlining graduates in that direction, from the research I've done. Yale encourages alternative paths and I think generally takes care of you better.

Regarding my own interests. They are a bit varied and I'm also open to changing or shaping them while in law school, as often happens. I could see myself going the more academic route eventually and even teaching (although I'd practice first). I have some interest in employment law as well (it fits with my background expertise). I'm also interested in specializing in litigation.

It's the scholarly rigor of Yale and the philosophical bent that attracts me a lot, I won't deny. They have a first year elective course in the philosophy of Law and Beauty as well as one in Reason and Passion in the Law. I mean, really??!! I feel in love :)

H vs Y comes down to a lot of things. I think there's a great argument to make that both schools are on the same caliber and that a few things like class size difference makes almost all the difference. Y also produces more scholars in the legal field as they seem to take a more etherial view on teaching law. There is also less competition, but at the end of the day any student who worked and was smart enough to get into Yale is competitive by nature.

If I had to choose, I'd choose HLS just because the BLSA is more important to me than any advantages Y may give me, including smaller class sizes, clerkships, and the like. That's just my view. I guess we will see when I get accepted to HYS and have to decide. Positive thinking!!

edited July 2017 21 karma

@"vanessa fisher"
    From my research Queens has the best value law education, U of T costs 100% more and Osgoode 50% more. Obviously U of T is the best, but the other two are very similar in prestige and (done some research but need to do more) have equal hiring for Toronto big law.

For me: if I'm going to Toronto, I'm going to U of T (and unfortunately means living at home and taking a 45min train daily). But if I want a most cost effective, more fun (Queens is awesome from visiting), likely higher class rating, and a place where it is easier to study and be involved I'm going to Queens.

Still a lot more to process though before I make my decision (at least I hope...)

1084 karma

@ryancoulter96
    Thanks for the info. That is good to know. Maybe I'll look more into Queens as well.
    Good luck with study and applications!

21 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @ryancoulter96
    Thanks for the info. That is good to know. Maybe I'll look more into Queens as well.
    Good luck with study and applications!

Thanks, you too!

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    226 karma

@ryancoulter96 @"vanessa fisher" Also a Canadian here, but have you guys considered McGill at all?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Man, all this talk if Canadian law schools are making me a bit jealous, haha.

@therealnas
    Totally did! It was actually my top pick with UofT. Great reputation and the cost is only 9K a year! And you don't need to write the LSAT. I also thought learning the mix of civil and common law that is so unique there would be really valuable.

Alas, I don't speak fluent French. I considered taking one more year off before going to law school to pick up my french again, but I felt like law school is already going to be hard enough and trying to do some of it in French was probably pushing it.

Also, as a sidenote, I have heard from a few professors I talked to at UofOttawa that McGill is falling apart a bit, some as a result of funding and economic issues in Quebec. They've also apparently lost some of their best profs to UofToronto. Still probably great school but I'd do some research if you consider going!

1084 karma

@"Alex Divine" you could always come here :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:

Don't tempt me more than I already am.... lol It seems that NYC law / finance is where I belong for now. Though I'd love to throw it all away, become a citizen, and enjoy the beauty of Canada and its much more sane legal educational system. :)

@"Alex Divine"
    It's interesting that you are in NYC as I was literally just talking to a friend about NYC the other day. I was thinking about if I did get into and ended up going to Yale or Harvard, that I think I'd have be willing to live and work in the U.S cause I might get stuck there for a while :) I was trying to decide if NYC would be somewhere I'd want to end up. I've actually never been, but plan a visit. I think a part of me would love the energy, although the U.S also seems so crazy right now. I may circle back to you and ask some questions about your experience there at some point. With the cost of living there, I wonder how anyone can afford it :)

21 karma

@therealnas said:
    @ryancoulter96 @"vanessa fisher" Also a Canadian here, but have you guys considered McGill at all?

Great school, but I don't think I can afford to live in a big city (but can commute to Toronto from home)

The bilingual element is enticing though....

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1363 karma

WHAT'S CRACKING MY FELLOW CANUCKS.

So I think this document might be of some use to you guys (in case you haven't already come across it):
    http://ultravires.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Recruitment-Special.pdf

See page 3 in particular. You'll notice that Osgoode and U of T place the maximum number of students on Bay Street (U of T about 93, Osgoode about 83). Queen's and Western, in comparison, place about half of that. That said, the percentage of students being hired from Queen's, Western and Osgoode, as you'll note, is only minimally different (24, 22 and 27, respectively).

I realize @"vanessa fisher" actually mentioned in her original post that corporate law wasn't something she was entirely sure she wanted to pursue - in which case I'd suggest the 'prestige' of schools in Canada begins to matter less so once we move away from corporate law. There is no particular evidence which alludes to the fact that a given Ontario school outdoes another in areas outside of corporate law. Most Ontario schools (especially U of T, Osgoode, Western and Queen's) are equipped with a strong faculty, clinics and offer a range of courses in various areas of law. I suggest you check out lawstudents.ca (in case you haven't already) if you want more specificity from Canadian lawyers and/or law students. The general consensus though, from most posters on that forum, seems to be that unless you're pursuing a strong interest in corporate law, there's no reason to believe that you'd be at a disadvantage from attending any of the other aforementioned law schools.

Ultimately, the Canadian system is designed in a manner in which schools don't necessarily open doors for people; academically strong students open doors for themselves. There is generally a high correlation between grades and 2L summer jobs/post-law school jobs. A B average student from Oz isn't going to get the same number of interviews as an A student from Queen's/Western (despite their lack of a reputation relative to Oz/U of T).

1363 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"vanessa fisher" said:

Don't tempt me more than I already am.... lol It seems that NYC law / finance is where I belong for now. Though I'd love to throw it all away, become a citizen, and enjoy the beauty of Canada and its much more sane legal educational system. :)

(lowkey blushed. we always feel v. nice when appreciated)

1084 karma

@thisissparta
    Thanks so much for this! I'll definitely check out these resources. Appreciate the info.

Also, was just curious from your research, and based on your last paragraph. Are you saying then, if you are in Canada (and don't want to do corporate law) that you are better to go to a school where you can score top of your class than to go where the school has high prestige? It's somehow surprising to me that UofT wouldn't give you a leg up, but maybe it wouldn't if it is just more competitive to get top of class compared to other schools?

1084 karma

Also, really nice to have a little Canadian corner here :)

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @thisissparta
    Thanks so much for this! I'll definitely check out these resources. Appreciate the info.

Also, was just curious from your research, and based on your last paragraph. Are you saying then, if you are in Canada (and don't want to do corporate law) that you are better to go to a school where you can score top of your class than to go where the school has high prestige? It's somehow surprising to me that UofT wouldn't give you a leg up, but maybe it wouldn't if it is just more competitive to get top of class compared to other schools?

You're most welcome!

My last paragraph was alluding to a more general notion - from what I've read, it seems to be that irrespective of which school you go to, ultimately the higher-achieving students will undoubtedly receive more interviews and are likely to perform better in terms of employment outcomes. This applies to both, corporate and non-corporate law jobs.

The Canadian system isn't designed like the US system - the "elite" schools aren't known to carry an overwhelming advantage over other schools in terms of employment. It's why Canada doesn't have a legitimate, annual rankings list like USN&WR. The Maclean's 2013 rankings of Canadian law schools was criticized by the legal industry and never pursued after that year. The variables that were utilized in ranking the schools were found to be particularly troubling.

Posters far more knowledgeable than I have shed light on this topic: http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/40250-macleans-law-school-rankings/

Definitely recommend my fellow Canadian law school applicants to check it out too. Pay particular attention to the posts from the moderators - most of them are lawyers with years of legal experience under their belt.

@"vanessa fisher" said:

AGREED. I WAS SO HAPPY TO SEE THIS THREAD.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@thisissparta said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"vanessa fisher" said:

(lowkey blushed. we always feel v. nice when appreciated)

I <3 Canadians. Anytime I've travelled there they've all been so kind!

1184 karma

@thisissparta said:

So I think this document might be of some use to you guys (in case you haven't already come across it):

See page 3 in particular. You'll notice that Osgoode and U of T place the maximum number of students on Bay Street (U of T about 93, Osgoode about 83). Queen's and Western, in comparison, place about half of that. That said, the percentage of students being hired from Queen's, Western and Osgoode, as you'll note, is only minimally different (24, 22 and 27, respectively).

I realize @"vanessa fisher" actually mentioned in her original post that corporate law wasn't something she was entirely sure she wanted to pursue - in which case I'd suggest the 'prestige' of schools in Canada begins to matter less so once we move away from corporate law. There is no particular evidence which alludes to the fact that a given Ontario school outdoes another in areas outside of corporate law. Most Ontario schools (especially U of T, Osgoode, Western and Queen's) are equipped with a strong faculty, clinics and offer a range of courses in various areas of law. I suggest you check out lawstudents.ca (in case you haven't already) if you want more specificity from Canadian lawyers and/or law students. The general consensus though, from most posters on that forum, seems to be that unless you're pursuing a strong interest in corporate law, there's no reason to believe that you'd be at a disadvantage from attending any of the other aforementioned law schools.

Ultimately, the Canadian system is designed in a manner in which schools don't necessarily open doors for people; academically strong students open doors for themselves. There is generally a high correlation between grades and 2L summer jobs/post-law school jobs. A B average student from Oz isn't going to get the same number of interviews as an A student from Queen's/Western (despite their lack of a reputation relative to Oz/U of T).

Haven't been called a Canuck in long time, I am getting a little homesick lol :). Thank you for this, I may just apply to Canadian schools too , assuming I can find it within me to deal with snow again hahaha :smile:

1184 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:

I agree I really missed interacting with my fellow Canadians <3

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think I need to be taking a trip to Canada next time I have a vacation (probably sometime this late summer)

@ElleWoods77 said:

@thisissparta said:

Haven't been called a Canuck in long time, I am getting a little homesick lol :). Thank you for this, I may just apply to Canadian schools too , assuming I can find it within me to deal with snow again hahaha :smile:

You're welcome! Actually, the last two winters haven't been too bad in Toronto. Besides (since I see that you seem to be interested in U of T), U of T's law building is right outside the Museum subway station. Like a 2 min walk, at max - so you won't be out for too long. If you have the scores, you should definitely consider applying. Moreover, U of T doesn't require any LOR's - so that's one less thing to worry about. Just a PS and your scores.

1084 karma

@thisissparta
    yeah I did a tour of the UoT campus and it is pretty nice. Was also surprised about the no LORs.
    You planning on applying to UofT or going for a less expensive school?

1363 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @thisissparta
    yeah I did a tour of the UoT campus and it is pretty nice. Was also surprised about the no LORs.

I'm blanketing most Ontario law schools. Would probably go to UofT in a heartbeat if I'm accepted. I went for undergrad there and I absolutely love the campus. Definitely don't want to go to a school in a city/campus I detest, lol :tongue:

Depending on my LSAT score I may also apply a few schools in the States - NU, UVA and NYU/Columbia, primarily. A Canadian law school would still be my first preference though -- primarily because of the lesser debt load.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@thisissparta said:

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @thisissparta

I'm blanketing most Ontario law schools. Would probably go to UofT in a heartbeat if I'm accepted. I went for undergrad there and I absolutely love the campus. Definitely don't want to go to a school in a city/campus I detest, lol :tongue:

Depending on my LSAT score I may also apply a few schools in the States - NU, UVA and NYU/Columbia, primarily. A Canadian law school would still be my first preference though -- primarily because of the lesser debt load.

Amen to that less $$$ load..... ;)

1084 karma

@thisissparta
    yeah totally hear that. That is one of my main concerns about studying in U.S too. Hard decisions.

Also, on a somewhat sidenote but related note, I think the U.S tuition crisis is about to be the new subprime loan crisis. I'd read journalists predicting this years ago, but kind of scary to see it playing out in real time:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/business/dealbook/student-loan-debt-collection.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

• H.al1997H.al1997 Member
    edited July 2017 318 karma

@"vanessa fisher"

It looks like you already got a lot of great feedback, but I'm eager to jump in a bit and give my two cent. I got super inspired by your post, because I can tell you dream big, which is something we should all be doing!

Personally, I am not applying for a law school outside of Canada because it would cost me too much and I would probably have to waste a year or more trying to transfer my degree to work in Canada. However, I am keeping in mind that I might want to do a masters in law, and this is something I would want to do at a university like HLS, YLS, or SLS. There is also the possibility of doing a semester through an exchange program, though I'm not 100% sure if schools like HLS or YLS offer this opportunity.

In regards to a career path you want, I can definitely see how schools like HLS and YLS would equip you with the networks and prestige to help you achieve this end. However, I am a strong believer in the fact that what we do outside of the classroom plays a much larger role in achieving those goals (I see you've already done some of that i.e. published book). Schools like Toronto and Osgoode are also powerful in the sense that they offer great programs, however, there's still room for them to be better. This environment is optimal for students, in my opinion, because there is space to be a pioneer in the discipline of law within those institutions. As such, choosing a Canadian Law school only means that we'll have to put the little extra effort to make our work known and visible so that schools like HLS and YLS would want to have someone like you (who has published work) as a guest speaker and maybe even offer a teaching position.

This is obviously easier for me to say because I know for sure I am not a strong candidate for YLS or HLS (I've accepted the fact lol). As such, I hope you do apply for at least YLS, since it looks like you really value the program they offer. Once you have the YLS and Toronto acceptance letters in your hand, I'm sure you'll know what the next best step for you will be.

Best of luck!

@mnr12345
    thanks! I appreciate the added thoughts and you make some really good points.
    One thing you spoke to, which I think is really valuable to consider, is the fact that one could do a JD here in Canada (for cheaper) from a good school, and then potentially do masters or PhD work at a prestigious school, like Yale, down the road if one decides they really want to go the academic route. I think this is a totally valid point. I've heard some others that have gone this route, and I have heard that it is easier to become a law prof in Canada if you at least do some of your graduate or post-graduate work outside of Canada.

It may very well be worth it to have a less expensive JD that is easy to work the debt load off from and then one could potentially apply for PhD in 5 or 6 years.

I definitely feel more appreciation for the Canadian law schools after this thread. I do like to dream big and will still apply to Yale. But I probably won't know for sure what I'll decide until, as you say, the letters are in my hand!

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @"Alex Divine"
    Ask a random person from the streets of Queens working in a factory which school is better for law: H or Y? I think the point is the Harvard name travels farther. Internationally speaking, there is no doubt it enjoys a more well known name.

This may be true but you won't be fielding job offers from a random person working in a factory. Within the international legal industry, I think Yale has an amazing reputation on par with Harvard. Think diplomats, NGOs, that kind of thing. Yale is where it's at. If you can get in I think Yale is probably the only T14 school worth sticker price for people not interested in big law. That is a radical opinion here though so I know it might rustle some tail feathers.

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @mnr12345
    It may very well be worth it to have a less expensive JD that is easy to work the debt load off from and then one could potentially apply for PhD in 5 or 6 years.

I've done a lot of research on the academic legal route and again I think Yale is one of the few options where the JD is worth sticker price if your intention is the academic route. Yale JDs totally dominate amongst law professors, it's kind of insane. But PhDs also increasingly dominate and I think there is more variance there in terms of which schools professors come from. Prestige goes a long way but you probably wouldn't be able to do a PhD and pay back loans on a PhD stipend from a school that doesn't have an amazing repayment program. Waiting 5 or 6 years to start a PhD that will last probably 5 to 6 years is an interesting approach! Probably doable for law profs because you'll have so much work experience and academic experience. I do love this about the JD/legal world. :)

good luck!

1184 karma

@thisissparta said:

@ElleWoods77 said:

@thisissparta said:

You're welcome! Actually, the last two winters haven't been too bad in Toronto. Besides (since I see that you seem to be interested in U of T), U of T's law building is right outside the Museum subway station. Like a 2 min walk, at max - so you won't be out for too long. If you have the scores, you should definitely consider applying. Moreover, U of T doesn't require any LOR's - so that's one less thing to worry about. Just a PS and your scores.

U of T and Osgoode are definitely both Canadian schools I am aiming for if I decide to go back home for law school for sure :). U of Ts campus is simply beautiful and downtown Toronto is has always been one of my favorite places. Thank you for the information that certainly does help. Texas has really spoiled me with the weather so we shall see. I am aiming for a 165 lowest 160 and my gpa is high so we shall see what the future holds :).

@RafaelBernard
    Totally agree with you about Yale. At least from the research I've done, it's an incredibly well-respected school. I think if you are going into corporate law, Harvard would be the better option, but for other areas of law I actually think Yale is somewhat superior. I don't know if that would translate into better pay than if you went to Harvard, but I think the reputation in the legal world is pretty high.

I also agree it is really well regarded academically. I have heard from some legal profs that to get a teaching position in Canada, you can do your JD here and then some graduate or post-graduate work abroad (Yale ideal of course) and it would put you in really good standing for a position. My main concern with the teaching thing is how much academia is changing. I talked to a prof that said that in 10 years the legal education profession will look radically different even than today as universities fill with more bureaucracy and administrators. So it's just hard to predict what the market will look like and if it will be an appealing option by the time I can actually do it.

I think the biggest thing I need to decide is whether I'd be ok with staying in the States for a bit to work. I think if I got into Yale (again, all theoretical :)), I'd have to be aware of the possibility that I might have to stay in the U.S for a while to work as it takes some time and money to get back to Canada, and all my connections will be in the U.S. If I'm ok with this, then it would probably be worth it. If not, then I probably have to reconsider.

I think it could be cool to live in the States for a while, but again I also think it is kind of crazy over there right now

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@RafaelBernard said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @"Alex Divine"
    Ask a random person from the streets of Queens working in a factory which school is better for law: H or Y? I think the point is the Harvard name travels farther. Internationally speaking, there is no doubt it enjoys a more well known name.

This may be true but you won't be fielding job offers from a random person working in a factory. Within the international legal industry, I think Yale has an amazing reputation on par with Harvard. Think diplomats, NGOs, that kind of thing. Yale is where it's at. If you can get in I think Yale is probably the only T14 school worth sticker price for people not interested in big law. That is a radical opinion here though so I know it might rustle some tail feathers.**

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @mnr12345

I've done a lot of research on the academic legal route and again I think Yale is one of the few options where the JD is worth sticker price if your intention is the academic route. Yale JDs totally dominate amongst law professors, it's kind of insane. But PhDs also increasingly dominate and I think there is more variance there in terms of which schools professors come from. Prestige goes a long way but you probably wouldn't be able to do a PhD and pay back loans on a PhD stipend from a school that doesn't have an amazing repayment program. Waiting 5 or 6 years to start a PhD that will last probably 5 to 6 years is an interesting approach! Probably doable for law profs because you'll have so much work experience and academic experience. I do love this about the JD/legal world. :)

good luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"vanessa fisher" Legal academia jobs are unicorn jobs even if one attends Y, but if that's what you're after, no better place than Y without a doubt!

@RafaelBernard Yeah... just kind of making a point with the example above. Even still, H enjoys more lay prestige, especially internationally. I do think it's a radical opinion to think Y is worth sticker over H or S. There's a tons of factors to consider when doing that calculus. But, again, it's just an opinion and there's certainly an argument to made. The great thing abut the top schools is if one decides a non-law firm route, they have the money via endowments to have great repayment programs for the loans. This at least helps to justify going to a school like HYS over CNN with $$$. This case could be made especially for PI work or gov't work in general.

• tdifranctdifranc Free Trial Member
    2 karma

My people!! This question has been top of my mind lately and it's great to see it being discussed.

No doubt UofT and McGill have international credibility but I would agree with those that have said HY (+S) carry much greater recognition value, not to mention the actual quality of education which I believe will be to some degree subjective in any case.

In my opinion, HYS versus UofT is an easy decision in favour of the Americans, but moving down the T14 I'm not so sure.

1063 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @RafaelBernard
    Totally agree with you about Yale. At least from the research I've done, it's an incredibly well-respected school. I think if you are going into corporate law, Harvard would be the better option, but for other areas of law I actually think Yale is somewhat superior. I don't know if that would translate into better pay than if you went to Harvard, but I think the reputation in the legal world is pretty high.

I also agree it is really well regarded academically. I have heard from some legal profs that to get a teaching position in Canada, you can do your JD here and then some graduate or post-graduate work abroad (Yale ideal of course) and it would put you in really good standing for a position. My main concern with the teaching thing is how much academia is changing. I talked to a prof that said that in 10 years the legal education profession will look radically different even than today as universities fill with more bureaucracy and administrators. So it's just hard to predict what the market will look like and if it will be an appealing option by the time I can actually do it.

I think the biggest thing I need to decide is whether I'd be ok with staying in the States for a bit to work. I think if I got into Yale (again, all theoretical :)), I'd have to be aware of the possibility that I might have to stay in the U.S for a while to work as it takes some time and money to get back to Canada, and all my connections will be in the U.S. If I'm ok with this, then it would probably be worth it. If not, then I probably have to reconsider.

I think it could be cool to live in the States for a while, but again I also think it is kind of crazy over there right now

Lol. It is crazy, that is for sure. But in some ways it always has been. I totally here you about the changing landscape of universities and law schools. For people aspiring to be academicians they are given similar advice to those who want to be lawyers - don't do it. :( But the same can be said of actors and writers and musicians and many other professions. Honestly, it's good advice to hear over and over again because it forces you to come up with real reasons for wanting what you want.

I'm curious, what change will come from universities including more bureaucracy and administrators? Is this is akin to the "corporatization of academia"? In other words, teaching for the job as opposed to teaching how to think? More and more adjunct positions and less tenure track? That's the general trend in the US amongst all disciplines so is that what you're talking about? It's interesting if that is what you're talking about because at the same time, at least in my research, I see that law profs are increasingly expected to publish scholarly articles before getting a prof job and also there are many more PhDs (economics, history, sociology, and probably others) than before which also contributes to a changing landscape.

1063 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    @"vanessa fisher" Legal academia jobs are unicorn jobs even if one attends Y, but if that's what you're after, no better place than Y without a doubt!

@RafaelBernard Yeah... just kind of making a point with the example above. Even still, H enjoys more lay prestige, especially internationally. I do think it's a radical opinion to think Y is worth sticker over H or S. There's a tons of factors to consider when doing that calculus. But, again, it's just an opinion and there's certainly an argument to made. The great thing abut the top schools is if one decides a non-law firm route, they have the money via endowments to have great repayment programs for the loans. This at least helps to justify going to a school like HYS over CNN with $$$. This case could be made especially for PI work or gov't work in general.

Def. So many factors to consider. I saw somewhere on this forum that giving advice for so many of these types of questions is like giving relationship advice. The best advice would come from people who know you intimately. But that's why it's worth it for us all to be exposed to all sides! :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@RafaelBernard said:

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @RafaelBernard

Lol. It is crazy, that is for sure. But in some ways it always has been. I totally here you about the changing landscape of universities and law schools. For people aspiring to be academicians they are given similar advice to those who want to be lawyers - don't do it. :( But the same can be said of actors and writers and musicians and many other professions. Honestly, it's good advice to hear over and over again because it forces you to come up with real reasons for wanting what you want.

I'm curious, what change will come from universities including more bureaucracy and administrators? Is this is akin to the "corporatization of academia"? In other words, teaching for the job as opposed to teaching how to think? More and more adjunct positions and less tenure track? That's the general trend in the US amongst all disciplines so is that what you're talking about? It's interesting if that is what you're talking about because at the same time, at least in my research, I see that law profs are increasingly expected to publish scholarly articles before getting a prof job and also there are many more PhDs (economics, history, sociology, and probably others) than before which also contributes to a changing landscape.

Yale, while more exclusive doesn't mean it's superior. There's arguments for H over Y, and a ton of them at that. And if going into Corporate law, there is no reason to think H>Y for any reason. From the stats, it would appear that going to Y affords you way better chances at big firms and the more prestigious ones that pay better. This is due to difference in the 1L the grading systems whereby H has a High pass, pass, low pass, where Y has no grades/rank first year. This makes bidding on firms a lot different during OCI in the beginning of 2L.

Yale is ranked #1 in US New Weeks and is arguably the most prestigious school, but it doesn't translate to more pay. Pay at firms are lock step. First years make the same, all things being equal, whether you go to Y or Cooley.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@RafaelBernard said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Def. So many factors to consider. I saw somewhere on this forum that giving advice for so many of these types of questions is like giving relationship advice. The best advice would come from people who know you intimately. But that's why it's worth it for us all to be exposed to all sides! :)

That's a perfect analogy in many ways.... just like relationship advice. And yeah, while being exposed from all sides, there is an heir of objectivity due to some of the quantifiable differences between schools, repayment programs, class size, and rankings themselves.

But darn! I love that analogy!!! :)