Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters for Reach Schools

mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm still planning out my timeline to apply for schools to start in the Fall of 2018. I have a pretty low GPA (3.49) and don't know my LSAT score yet (will be taking in Sept). I've had about 3 years of working experience in law firms as a practice assistant.

Like most, I have a good list of schools I'm applying to with safeties, targets and reaches.

I plan on asking a teacher or work supervisor for recommendations when the time comes, but the problem is I'm embarrassed to ask for letters to my reach schools. I'm talking Harvard, Columbia, etc. as my reach and I feel like people would just laugh at my face.

Has anyone ever had this issue before? These are my dream schools, but with my GPA I don't seriously think I'll get in - I'm just kind of applying to "see if it could ever happen" (and obviously on the off chance that I would be accepted - I would attend). I'm aware this could be a waste of time/money, but I will regret it if I don't apply to these schools.

Comments

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

bump

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

If you'll regret not applying, wouldn't you be extension regret not asking for the letters? I honestly can't see someone laughing at someone else for trying to get into a good school.

I think you know the answer to this better than any of us on here do. I also think you should go for it.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Do not bump threads that are not over 12 hours old, please. This has only been up for 30min.

891 karma

Thanks and yes, I just feel nervous asking people and having them judge if I'm not qualified. A lot of my employers are attorneys themselves from really good schools so I feel like they would have the license to judge that. Of course, they don't know my GPA but I've only been working here for 8 months and if I ever do ask them, they would only know my work for a year (and its not even substantive work since I am just a practice assistant)

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1091 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    Thanks and yes, I just feel nervous asking people and having them judge if I'm not qualified. A lot of my employers are attorneys themselves from really good schools so I feel like they would have the license to judge that. Of course, they don't know my GPA but I've only been working here for 8 months and if I ever do ask them, they would only know my work for a year (and its not even substantive work since I am just a practice assistant)

If they don't know your GPA and you've been there 8mnths then I'd wager they see you as a capable work colleague of theirs and nothing less than that, so I say go for it and aim high!

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

I could be wrong (usually am, in fact), but I believe that LOR can be sent as generic recommendations to LSAC and then they are sent to the schools with the rest of your information.

Any teacher with whom you have a good enough relationship to be asking for a LOR should be supportive enough not to laugh in your face. For all they know, you have a great LSAT score and are competitive at those schools. Also, how many individual teachers know their students' overall GPA...?

If it's your supervisors that you're asking, don't know your GPA and don't have any idea of your LSAT score. They'd be writing a letter presumably based on your work performance, so idk. Ask someone who you've developed a close working relationship to in such a short time. Plus, plenty of apparent idiots get into Harvard and Columbia.

You're about to pay money for a bunch of admissions committees to judge you. Better hurry up and get over it.

891 karma

One of my close professors from university actually did kind of mock me when I said I was thinking about law school when I was a senior in college (2014). He said he would write me any letter except for one that would be for a law app ,which "traumatized" (strong word) me a bit.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    One of my close professors from university actually did kind of mock me when I said I was thinking about law school when I was a senior in college (2014). He said he would write me any letter except for one that would be for a law app ,which "traumatized" (strong word) me a bit.

Dude sounds like a prick. If he's mocking you its probably because he doesn't feel confident in his own writing or something. I'd ignore it.

Don't let other people, fear, or the unknown stop you. If you are willing to try 9/10 you'll go much further than you expect.

891 karma

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I was feeling super stressed about my letters and having a brief chat here has made me feel a bit more confident

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

@mcglz_64 I wouldn't pay any mind to that professor. I've encountered so many folks who say "don't go to law school." It usually has nothing to do with me and everything to do with there own thoughts on the legal field.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm still planning out my timeline to apply for schools to start in the Fall of 2018. I have a pretty low GPA (3.49) and don't know my LSAT score yet (will be taking in Sept). I've had about 3 years of working experience in law firms as a practice assistant.

Like most, I have a good list of schools I'm applying to with safeties, targets and reaches.

I plan on asking a teacher or work supervisor for recommendations when the time comes, but the problem is I'm embarrassed to ask for letters to my reach schools. I'm talking Harvard, Columbia, etc. as my reach and I feel like people would just laugh at my face.

Has anyone ever had this issue before? These are my dream schools, but with my GPA I don't seriously think I'll get in - I'm just kind of applying to "see if it could ever happen" (and obviously on the off chance that I would be accepted - I would attend). I'm aware this could be a waste of time/money, but I will regret it if I don't apply to these schools.

If those are your dream schools, then apply! I actually will tell you right now that I don't believe in the idea "safety schools" for law school. You don't really want to go to a safety school?

Aim high and attend a target or your dream schools. With a high enough LSAT I can promise you that you have a chance at your dream schools! Make sure your application is strong and tells a great and complete story about your life and why you want to go to law school.

Don't worry about professors. The world is a tough place and asking for LOR can be scary; I had pretty bad anxiety when it came to these things. Eventually after you keep doing that which is difficult and scary for you, they become much easier. Either that or you become more brave....

:) Just know I truly believe in your ability to reach those dream schools. Even with a GPA on the lower side, Columbia, for instance, is still in play with a very high LSAT/outstanding application.

Good luck

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

I think others have got you covered on asking for letters. They won't think much about it. Most people just do generic letters anyway, so where they're going won't even matter.

And as far as your dream schools, get the LSAT score you need to make you a contender. If you get above the LSAT medians, you'll be a strong candidate.