Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Test Center Review] Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN USA

plspeerplspeer Member
edited August 2017 in Test Center Reviews 58 karma

Proctors: There were a bunch of proctors - maybe four? Only one woman read the instructions, the others just helped with passing out and collecting papers. I didn't notice any noise from them, but the woman keeping time gave the 5-minute warning early on one section, which really threw me off. She corrected it by giving a second 5-minute warning at the correct time, but it really made me freak out a bit since I thought my watch wasn't working properly and I was going to be screwed up for the rest of the test.

Facilities: Facilities were fine. Bathrooms were close enough, there was a water fountain nearby, the room wasn't too hot (although it was a bit chilly, it was perfect for me).

What kind of room: Lecture hall with auditorium seating.

How many in the room: 50-100

Desks: Flip-up tablet desks!!!! Seriously, these were so horrible! There wasn't even enough room to have the test booklet spread open, much less the test book and the answer sheet side-by-side.

Left-handed accommodation: There were left-handed desks available, and the proctors asked if you needed one as you entered.

Noise levels:Very quiet.

Parking: Parking was across the street at the closest.

Time elapsed from arrival to test: About 30-45 minutes.

Irregularities or mishaps: As I mentioned above, the proctor gave the 5-minute warning early for one of the first sections.

Would you take the test here again? Absolutely not. The tablet desks were crazy uncomfortable and I was super cramped. I feel sure that lowered my score, which ended up being -7 from my PT average. I really don't understand why any location would think that tablet desks are an acceptable way to hold the test, they're so insufficient!

Date of Exam: February 2017

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@plspeer said:
    Desks: Flip-up tablet desks!!!! Seriously, these were so horrible! There wasn't even enough room to have the test booklet spread open, much less the test book and the answer sheet side-by-side.

OH man! These are my biggest fear, so sorry to hear you got stuck with these. I hate how small and uncomfortable they are!

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

I find it odd that people are shocked about these desks. These seem to be the norm even at newer facilities, especially if on a campus. I tested in one of these desks. Everybody skipped a sit to allow for more room I guess. I guess it would be a good idea for ppl to add this into getting familiar with testing conditions.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

I live around Nashville! Murfreesboro to be exact and you would think Vandy would have better facilities, or maybe it's intentional, idk. And honestly I've never heard of those kinda desks (will Google it lol) but it doesn't sound good for sure. Now it seems like I should just stick with MTSU testing center which is just 10 mins away from me instead of branching out Nashville area...thanks for the review!

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@plspeer said:

Hahaha I feel the pain. They are the worst. I had a similar experience at Ohio State - shouldn't have been surprising since the building was probably 60 years old and seemed to lack central air.

I remember that the "desk" (generous to even call it this), didn't even cover half of the seat in table top space.. super ridiculous. I scheduled my real LSAT at a center 2 hours further away where I know they have lab style desks with plenty of room.

http://caeq.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/classroom-desks-and-chairs-for-modern-style-student-chairs-mahmayi-office-furniture-32.jpg

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited August 2017 12637 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    I remember that the "desk" (generous to even call it this), didn't even cover half of the seat in table top space.. super ridiculous. I scheduled my real LSAT at a center 2 hours further away where I know they have lab style desks with plenty of room.

http://caeq.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/classroom-desks-and-chairs-for-modern-style-student-chairs-mahmayi-office-furniture-32.jpg

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6ZsSEFiJDoSdZSHm/giphy.gif
    http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/leaving-now.gif

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 3279 karma

@ folding desks...

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

@Mellow_Z haha the term "desk" is def where threw me off cuz I was envisioning actual "desks" just in a weird shape maybe. But yeah, I def had those in my college but we just call them elbow resting chairs lol and if they are gonna do shit like that, they might as well just ask us to write on our laps.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Heart Shaped Box" said:
    @Mellow_Z haha the term "desk" is def where threw me off cuz I was envisioning actual "desks" just in a weird shape maybe. But yeah, I def had those in my college but we just call them elbow resting chairs lol and if they are gonna do shit like that, they might as well just ask us to write on our laps.

Yeah it's delusional to assign people to take a test on those. I had them for the digital test too.. so imagine balancing an 8" tablet, a scratch paper booklet, and your regular writing utensils all on the top of that thing. Some poor kid dropped his tablet NUMEROUS times - talk about a distraction to break your concentration. I knocked mine off once but luckily I caught it before it hit the ground. Shitty design by LSAC.