Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you BR and Review RC?

Im talking about intensive review. How do you guys tear apart an RC passage?

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I think the only way to really BR RC is to just reread the passage and make sure you take the time to eliminate every wrong answer choice.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

i don't notate during PTs... VERY little at least.

so in BR, i notate a lot. specifically i focus on separating pieces within paragraphs. for example, a given paragraph may be about countering a traditional theory, but within that paragraph the author may point to studies, specific counter examples, and refer to several other people. so i demarcate those pieces so that when i look at the passage, the structure is actually very clear.

i also create 1 word summaries for each paragraph.

finally, i make line references for each and every AC. also making slight commentary for cookie cutter wrong answer choices.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I do the same thing that jkatz does. During BR, I take a red pen and mark up the passage, the questions, as well as the answer choices. If certain answer choices are mentioned in the passage, I write the lines where it can be found next to the AC. I also circle the words/phrases that make certain ACs incorrect.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

My review usually consists of typing out a summary for the passage and each individual paragraph. I also identify all the important aspects of the passage such as author's viewpoint and MP, etc.

I then go through the questions and write out line cites that prove each answer choice where applicable.

Lastly, I watch JYs video of the passage and compare my notes and make sure I've nailed everything.