Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PTs 79-81 left, How should I space them out the next 2 weeks?

extramediumextramedium Alum Member
edited September 2017 in General 419 karma

So how should I space out these last three PTs? I'm thinking it might be wise to take 2-3 days in between so I can drill and focus on weaknesses, but I'm also curious about when I should take my last PT before the test date.

Do you all have any suggestions for a solid schedule for the remaining two weeks?

How concerned should I be about BRing around this time as well? Should I just take a hard look at the questions I missed and didn't quite understand so I can save time for drilling? A complete BR usually takes a couple days for me and I feel like I won't have much time for drills.

Thanks. You all have been a big help.

Comments

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

A good BR is just as important as drilling, though both are important.

I would do max 1 per 5 days, and also not do a full test in at least the 3 days prior to the test.

You are just trying to keep the engine running and polishing off those 1 or 2 skills. You're not going to learn any epiphanies or revolutionary new skills in the next 12 days.

I plan on taking PT 79 tomorrow, PT 80 over the weekend, with light drilling and maybe a couple timed single sections sprinkled throughout the next ~9/10 days.

With about 4 days to go, I will seriously taper back and let my mind rest. Just going to be doing some small problem sets to keep the mind running.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Those tests are relatively difficult. space them out. do two this week and do the last one at the beginning of next week. If you review them fully, you could learn a lot. Just make sure that the week leading up to the test you do only 1, if that, and you dont do it too close to the test.

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

I agree with everyone who's posted so far, but want to add one caveat. If you're at a stage where you're still pursuing mastery of concepts, (scoring under a 168 consistently, as a loose benchmark,) what others have mentioned will likely serve you best.

However, if you have the vast majority of the skills down and are trying to push past that final plateau, I'd recommend against the lighter test load. I think going with a full PT every other day until two days before the real thing will help condition your brain and ease you into proper mental fitness. After taking a lot of full length tests, you start to get a "feel" for the test in a way you don't acquire with a slower, dissected approach. Having more full scale practice will help mitigate variable conditions that cause well-prepped test takers to make silly/mindless mistakes. For such a student, these mistakes are likely to cost more points than any miniscule soft spot in understanding that may or may not be uncovered from drilling and BR.

Drilling and BR is useful for systemizing your approach when the alternative is a risk of not knowing what to do. This is less than ideal, though, in my opinion (which I'm sure may receive disagreement.) Having a systemized approach works great when executed, but it's a lot to absorb and maintain. It can break down and warp under pressure.

Rather, I think the end goal of LSAT prep, in a way, is to be able to forget everything you learned in LSAT prep. If you can solve problems correctly by intuition rather than conscious calculation, you drastically reduce your chance for error, and lighten your mental and temporal burden. Obviously the drilling and conscious decisions are an essential step for learning, but if such principles developed to the point where they replace any previous, incorrect intuition, they aren't needed in a conscious effort.

That deftness of execution can only be cemented with a lot of execution practice. When you BR and drill, you're inevitably going to dissect it and game it. Of course, if you still have a lot to gain from BR and drills, ignore everything I just said. I just thought I should add that BR and drills are useful development, but not universally ideal if the mastery is already there.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

@AJordanMD said:
    I agree with everyone who's posted so far, but want to add one caveat. If you're at a stage where you're still pursuing mastery of concepts, (scoring under a 168 consistently, as a loose benchmark,) what others have mentioned will likely serve you best.

However, if you have the vast majority of the skills down and are trying to push past that final plateau, I'd recommend against the lighter test load. I think going with a full PT every other day until two days before the real thing will help condition your brain and ease you into proper mental fitness. After taking a lot of full length tests, you start to get a "feel" for the test in a way you don't acquire with a slower, dissected approach. Having more full scale practice will help mitigate variable conditions that cause well-prepped test takers to make silly/mindless mistakes. For such a student, these mistakes are likely to cost more points than any miniscule soft spot in understanding that may or may not be uncovered from drilling and BR.

Drilling and BR is useful for systemizing your approach when the alternative is a risk of not knowing what to do. This is less than ideal, though, in my opinion (which I'm sure may receive disagreement.) Having a systemized approach works great when executed, but it's a lot to absorb and maintain. It can break down and warp under pressure.

Rather, I think the end goal of LSAT prep, in a way, is to be able to forget everything you learned in LSAT prep. If you can solve problems correctly by intuition rather than conscious calculation, you drastically reduce your chance for error, and lighten your mental and temporal burden. Obviously the drilling and conscious decisions are an essential step for learning, but if such principles developed to the point where they replace any previous, incorrect intuition, they aren't needed in a conscious effort.

That deftness of execution can only be cemented with a lot of execution practice. When you BR and drill, you're inevitably going to dissect it and game it. Of course, if you still have a lot to gain from BR and drills, ignore everything I just said. I just thought I should add that BR and drills are useful development, but not universally ideal if the mastery is already there.

wow good points...

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@AJordanMD I agree. There's also a lot of repeat in the exams, so imo the more questions you can see the better.

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

WATCH OUT FOR 81 IT'S A KILLER

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I actually strongly disagree with @AJordanMD (but much respect to them, some great points and a clearly considered response).

Average of my last 10 is 177, so I am familiar with what they are talking about.

I think the idea behind volume in order to gain familiarity and intuition is correct for a general study plan. However, I think that was something to be done 6-10 weeks ago, not in the final days leading up to the test.

You are not going to gain those magical powers in the next 10 days. To be honest, you're going to improve very little in the next 10 days. It's just not enough time. There is so little upside. But there is a massive downside to burning out, fatiguing your mind, and shaking your confidence.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

as long as you get review in for each, I don't think it really matters how you spread them out. I'd say chill for the last 2 days before the test though, so spread them out between now and 2 days-ish before

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@"LSAT Is Coming" said:
    WATCH OUT FOR 81 IT'S A KILLER

also, THIS ^^^^

that test made me feel like I have been wasting this past year and a half on prep