Trans/GNC/gender fluid folks taking the LSAT

KayyyyyyyKayyyyyyy Free Trial Member
in General 346 karma

The LSAT is pretty explicit that you need to show up on test day looking like you do in your photo (including needing to wear your facial hair in the same way etc). The photo requirement has always confused me - not sure how it prevents people from taking the test for other people because they can still just submit the photo of the person showing up on test day? (let me know if I'm missing something).

also, feel free to DM in response
Anyways, anybody have any experience they're comfortable sharing or know anyone with experience re: presenting their gender differently than in their LSAT photo? Has anyone heard of anyone being denied entry into the LSAT because their gender presentation doesn't match their LSAT photo, or doesn't match their legal sex on their ID? And in general, not exclusive to gender presentation, how similarly do you have to present yourself (for example, can you have short hair in person if you have long hair in your photo)?

Also - solidarity to all the queers taking the LSAT in September. Would love to hear more about what you're planning on doing with your law degree - hope it's not evil :/

Comments

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I think you also have to present some form of photo ID--again, not fool-proof, but what is (besides, LG practice, of course).

As to your other questions: I would be surprised if LSAC were progressive enough to make accommodations for our trans brothers, sisters, and others on the ID front. Indirect evidence: their demographic collection publications are still written so as to presuppose the binary (I think if you were gender non-conforming, then I would guess you'd put "not reported" or something--can't remember but I noticed this a while ago). I would assume (and hope) that this particular issue is better addressed in the coming years--perhaps adopting some of the suggestions in Westbrook and Saperstein (2015) on survey collection and gender--but we shall see...

All of this is to say, on the point most relevant to your questions, that I would be surprised if LSAC were "behind the times" given evidence like the above and the very real security/fairness issues that arise when trying to globally administer a standarized test. But I'll look forward to reading what those with more direct evidence have to say about this topic. Cheers--A.c.S

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

It's subjective because it's completely up to the proctor. I've heard horror stories of cis people being turned away for the most ridiculous of reasons (facial hair shaved, haircut, etc) but I've also heard plenty of stories of people going through without issues for the same reasons.

I think as long as the proctor can tell the person in the picture is you that you'll be fine, but trans/GNC folk have it especially rough since you can never tell who's [trans/homo]phobic. You can't fight a proctor's decision to turn you away and they can turn you away for anything.

As much as it sucks, your best bet may be to misgender yourself for the day to avoid any of that. This is assuming you're talking about the September LSAT, of course. If it's December, make sure you get a picture in that matches your current look in ASAP so you don't have to endure that dysphoria.

• It sucks that is something you have to worry about. Maybe call the LSAC just to make sure or email them and then bring the email print out with you when you check in. Hopefully they will be sensitive if your gender doesn't match what it says on your driver's license. I hope everything works out!! <3

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    edited September 2017 298 karma

I just want to say I hope it works out for you (I don't have an answer, though). My 18 year old trans kid (technically self-described as nonbinary right now) is taking the SAT in October, and we are running into all sorts of issues meeting the ID requirements. And Mar HATED having to pick female. I hated having to tell Mar that we didn't have another choice.