Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burnout

bsemb001bsemb001 Free Trial Member
in General 104 karma

So I haven't experienced burnout yet and I've been pushing myself hours and hours and hours to reach my limit of studying until I can't. I notice that my competitive nature and the fact that I haven't hit my projected score has overridden potential burnout. I'm sure I will burnout soon, but I'm liking that my motivation is currently there. Hopefully it is because I'm aiming higher each time.
Hoping for an extremely productive 2 months before the test.
Need that 10 point jump!

Comments

• AidoeAidoe Free Trial Member
    236 karma

Humble brag.

• bsemb001bsemb001 Free Trial Member
    104 karma

Anything to get me through these lonely nights. ;)

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma

I like to see LSAT more as a test of good habits than cramming. I think studying a lot is necessary for this test but, at some point there is a switch that needs to happen depending on how far you are from your goal. So if it happens that you find that its taking a while to get to your goal, maybe then you should switch to a schedule that does give you downtime so you don't burn out.

Good luck : )

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    edited October 2017 346 karma

The concept of burnout is an illusion, IMO. Sure somedays of rest are incredibly beneficial but in reality sometimes you can push through the burnout and actually do better. It's such a subjective state of mind with such an arbitrary threshold for recovery that really all we learn is at the end of the day we gotta give it are best and just be ready for anything.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma

I think you will like this book. It helped me build a better study schedule.

https://hbr.org/2007/10/manage-your-energy-not-your-time

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Nunuboy1994 said:
    The concept of burnout is an illusion, IMO. Sure somedays of rest are incredibly beneficial but in reality sometimes you can push through the burnout and actually do better. It's such a subjective state of mind with such an arbitrary threshold for recovery that really all we learn is at the end of the day we gotta give it are best and just be ready for anything.

It's no illusion, man. There's just a myriad of psychological research that tells us burnout is very much a real phenomenon. More important to note is that if you don't take a break, then you're just not going to be able to improve as effectively as you could have.

I definitely think that sometimes people are probably just lazy or lack discipline, but if you're noticing the signs of burnout, it's best to take a break. For an hour, for a week. The threshold for recovery is until you're rested and ready to get back to it.

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

@"Alex Divine" Well I would say that rest is absolutely necessary because the LSAT is asking you to apply a set of skills and interpret information in a particular way and because there's a certain threshold at which point you're not even thinking or absorbing anything anymore. That's certainly not an illusion. Though drawing the line between laziness and burnout can be difficult because sometimes people have genuinely tried there best and a few days of rest really does help them absorb and understand everything they've learned. I think that burnout is a state of mind that everybody inevitably experiences while studying for this day. Yes, then on that notion, sometimes less is more.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@Nunuboy1994 said:
    @"Alex Divine" Well I would say that rest is absolutely necessary because the LSAT is asking you to apply a set of skills and interpret information in a particular way and because there's a certain threshold at which point you're not even thinking or absorbing anything anymore. That's certainly not an illusion. Though drawing the line between laziness and burnout can be difficult because sometimes people have genuinely tried there best and a few days of rest really does help them absorb and understand everything they've learned. I think that burnout is a state of mind that everybody inevitably experiences while studying for this day. Yes, then on that notion, sometimes less is more.

Oh god...I see you making the same mistake I did. Wait till burnout hits you'll know how real it can be. I told @"Alex Divine" and @"Cant Get Right" that it wasn't real too. Then BOOM my scores plummeted. Things that were "easy" got really really really hard. I couldn't focus, I'd get angry at the test as soon as it got hard, I was miserable. It may come at different times for everyone but man it is real.

then because you are getting angry things continue to get harder and it becomes a spiral. Best to pace yourself up front and try to not experience this...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@Nunuboy1994 said:

Oh god...I see you making the same mistake I did. Wait till burnout hits you'll know how real it can be. I told @"Alex Divine" and @"Cant Get Right" that it wasn't real too. Then BOOM my scores plummeted. Things that were "easy" got really really really hard. I couldn't focus, I'd get angry at the test as soon as it got hard, I was miserable. It may come at different times for everyone but man it is real.

then because you are getting angry things continue to get harder and it becomes a spiral. Best to pace yourself up front and try to not experience this...

Exactly!

The scariest thing about burn out is that you absolutely can push yourself through it. You can just keep going and spinning your wheels without improving at all. You waste time, diminish confidence, and prolong the burnout.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2017 9377 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@Nunuboy1994 said:

Yea. I remember @LSATcantwin's posts from when @LSATcantwin was not the Sith Lord yet.

"People that take breaks from studying...."
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11700/people-that-take-breaks-from-studying

"Okay - I admit it, you guys were right. Breaks help...."
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11967/okay-i-admit-it-you-guys-were-right-breaks-help

https://media.giphy.com/media/AEmjdvG1aolsA/giphy.gif

13286 karma

@akistotle said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@Nunuboy1994 said:

Yea. I remember @LSATcantwin's posts from when @LSATcantwin was not the Sith Lord yet.

"People that take breaks from studying...."
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11700/people-that-take-breaks-from-studying

"Okay - I admit it, you guys were right. Breaks help...."
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11967/okay-i-admit-it-you-guys-were-right-breaks-help

https://media.giphy.com/media/AEmjdvG1aolsA/giphy.gif

After the September test cut my legs and arm off, caught me on fire, and killed my one true love I am defiantly Sith now...

https://media.giphy.com/media/UJOfQY1WCDDtS/giphy.gif

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akistotle is now my fav for posting all of these awesome Star Wars references/GIFs!

104 karma

Irregular LGs = The Phantom Menace
    LG full proofing = Attack of the Clones
    Consistent upward trend until more recent prep tests = Revenge of the Sith
    Reading posts of 20+ point increases = A New Hope
    Not scoring well on test day = Empire Strikes Back
    TBD Dec 2 = Return of the Jedi

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bsemb001 said:
    Irregular LGs = The Phantom Menace
    LG full proofing = Attack of the Clones
    Consistent upward trend until more recent prep tests = Revenge of the Sith
    Reading posts of 20+ point increases = A New Hope
    Not scoring well on test day = Empire Strikes Back
    TBD Dec 2 = Return of the Jedi

Haha! Very, very accurate.

Gosh! Words will never express how much I love this freakin' community :blush:

13286 karma

Execute order 66...

104 karma

Order 66 = Universal GRE requirement.