Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-Traditional Student Letter of recommendation from who??

OK, I graduated from college almost 20 years ago. I have not worked in 3 years, I have been a stay at home mom. So, who can I ask to write my letter of recommendation? I'm not particularly involved with any group or church. I feel pretty sidelined for not being as outgoing or active in my community. I don't know about suddenly joining groups just to make some contacts to get that oh so needed letter. From what I hear, it's still pretty necessary to have at least 2 letters. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

You are correct that admissions usually requires 2 LORs that are academic or from employers. My first approach would be to track down old employers. I've read that some non-traditional students have had luck going this route. It might not be ideal, but I'd assume it's easier to track down your boss from 3 years ago than a professor from 20?

I wish you all the luck!

• DatguyM15DatguyM15 Alum Member
    211 karma

I'm a non traditional applicant too. I would try for employers, if not look for someone that is very reputable in your community or reach out to a leader in a group that you maybe volunteered with etc. I think raising kids and overall life experience are probably enough of an LOR that they won't care about your "real LOR's". Remember that it's other adults that are going to be judging you and they will understand that your experience is quite different than a 22 year old undergrad. However, if you are looking at top tier schools I would try my best to meet the requirements.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Hey - I was in the same predicament as you. I actually contacted one of my old professors and provided him with my resume and copy of my PS outline as well as a copy of my transcript. We met in person and talked for about a half hour about my life since college and he wrote me a very nice letter. For the other letters, I have called my old managers - those with whom I had good working relationships with - to ask for a letter. I have asked two - one answered me about 2 wks later and will be writing me a letter. The other I haven't heard from. I will probably ask a third person so I can have another letter just in case I need it.

The only thing you can do is reach out to as many people as you can who can write about your academic strength - its hard with the employers but perhaps they can say something along the lines of "... because catgonzalez did xyz she proved she could handle difficult tasks and therefore could tackle the challenges of law school...". I would def try to reach out to any old college professors though.

Good luck! We stay-at-home moms have it tough but I firmly believe with determination and tenacity we can play with the college kids and get into our choice law school. Start calling/emailing people today.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'm with you on this... I've been out of college for 11 years but it feels like a lifetime already! I've contacted 1 professor who I was close with and have lightly stayed in touch over the years. (The luxury of going to a small school!) I'm planning on also asking a current supervisor and a former supervisor. The former was from almost 8 years ago, but she and I connected very well and I was a legal assistant in that job, so she can speak specifically to my aptitude for law-related work skills. Professors are ideal, but from what I've seen if you have been out of school a substantial amount of time, admissions folks don't expect you to have a professor write a letter. Supervisors work just fine. So, I'd start reaching out to anyone who was in a supervisory position over you previously and can hopefully speak to things like work ethic, learning ability, writing skills, etc.

Good luck!

• 193 karma

Thank you so much everybody. I was thinking of having some friends write letters. I feel so goofy asking people who I haven't been in contact with in ages. I will try my old bosses, and see if I can get some action.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@catgonzalez1974 said:
    Thank you so much everybody. I was thinking of having some friends write letters. I feel so goofy asking people who I haven't been in contact with in ages. I will try my old bosses, and see if I can get some action.

I know! I did too! I personalized my email with each of my old bosses, told them why I wanted to go to law school, why I chose them as a recommender and offered to show them my resume and PS outline. I also told them I would be available for an in-person meeting if they wanted one.

Good luck!!