Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I should be an LSAT Writer

mcb4LSUROXSmcb4LSUROXS Alum Member
in General 146 karma

... and some of you may feel the same way. Here goes...

Do you ever feel like you have 2, maybe even three correct answer choices you can defend, and as correct answers, that's how you might even have phrased or hidden the correct answer choice. Bingo! apply now. Or we can start a consulting group to LSAC and give opinions on how to screw candidates even more. Although in at least my case, I would not have to make anything up. I would be writing from the heart, and with good intentions, and my attempt at formulating correct answer choices would probably just make the test authors chuckle, and then they would stick it in as answer choice E, you know that answer choice we pick because the first 4 looked like crap!

Thanks for joining me on my study break. :-)

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2017 13286 karma

I started out feeling exactly like this. Now I get really, really mad at wrong answer choices. Instead of looking at the test trying to make things right, I try and make them wrong. This means by the time I get to answer choice E, I've probably already found the one that no matter what I do I can't break, which means it's likely to be the right answer.

By approaching it with healthy skepticism I've found that the "tricks" become easier to spot because I'm actively looking for them.

"Oh you said any airline? WELL THE STIMULUS ONLY TALKED ABOUT COMMERCIAL AIRLINES, YOU ARE OUT OF SCOPE!"

"Oh you think you can just attack the character of a person making an argument in order to disprove their argument? NO WAY MAN THAT IS A FLAW AND YOU ARE COMMITTING IT!"

lol it's my way of having fun, while also getting to the right answer.

• edited October 2017 1025 karma

@LSATcantwin "Oh you said any airline? WELL THE STIMULUS ONLY TALKED ABOUT COMMERCIAL AIRLINES, YOU ARE OUT OF SCOPE!"

lol, I do this out loud on BR.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mcb4LSUROXS said:
    ... and some of you may feel the same way. Here goes...

Do you ever feel like you have 2, maybe even three correct answer choices you can defend, and as correct answers, that's how you might even have phrased or hidden the correct answer choice. Bingo! apply now. Or we can start a consulting group to LSAC and give opinions on how to screw candidates even more. Although in at least my case, I would not have to make anything up. I would be writing from the heart, and with good intentions, and my attempt at formulating correct answer choices would probably just make the test authors chuckle, and then they would stick it in as answer choice E, you know that answer choice we pick because the first 4 looked like crap!

Thanks for joining me on my study break. :-)

Haha!! I used to feel that way. I would curse and throw chairs when I thought I could justify 2-3 correct answer choices. Then I realized this mindset was actually hindering my progress because there's truly only ever one correct answer choice. The consulting firm isn't a bad idea though ;)

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Lol I used to think this way to and then like @"Alex Divine" said it was definitely hurting my learning. Accepting that there is only one true correct answer allows me to really learn the best way to find the right answer. Not as fun as pretending to be an LSAC writer though ;-)

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

Ha. I too started out this way and felt like it was a sign I could be a good defense lawyer one day. Every tough problem, where I felt like I was on a faulty question, I loosened up and slowly wrote out my thoughts on each answer choice. Eventually I had to walk away with my tail between my legs and admit that once again, LSAT won. It's been humbling.
    They really are just tricks, but they are universal. A beauty of the LSAT: your training is highly useful post-exam.
    These days I mostly just deal with speed issues.