Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ABA: Law Schools can use any test

The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
in General 1392 karma

Per Spivey Twitter:

“This is huge and breaking news. In multiple tweets. The ABA Council has recommended...

...that every law school can determine what makes a test valid and reliable for itself or whether or not it will even require an admission test...

As of this moment we are unsure of this recommendation needs to be finalized, or if it is a final decision.”

Thoughts?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

I think if it goes through it will be very much like B-school where they can decide to take the GMAT or GRE. We will just have the LSAT and GRE. I think it may also negatively affect splitters since law schools can stack GRE/LSAT/GPA combos. I also think all things equal, the LSAT will continue to reign supreme for the foreseeable future much like the GMAT has vis-a-vis B-school.

This also opens up the potential for lower tiered schools to prey on unqualified applicants. That's the scariest part of all of this... Then again, this isn't final and we don't know what other stipulations will be put into place.

I also don't think this will really begin to affect cycles until a couple of years from now when schools figure out how they're going to reliably implement these changes. Even then, if USNWR keeps using the LSAT as a factor in its ranking, then I don't think all that much will change. LSAT is still going to be the most valuable test score. I just think now high GPAs will be more valuable than ever, too. As a result, I can see GPA medians rising across the board.

All speculation at this point though. Remain calm and 7sage on...
    :)

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    426 karma

I'm really curious to see how this will affect the admission cycle for next year. Particularly, for T 14 schools.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

If the decision is finalized, it means people might be able to choose between GRE and LSAT even though they have LSAT scores on the record, right?

(This might save us in the future, @sillllyxo lol)

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@akistotle said:
    If the decision is finalized, it means people might be able to choose between GRE and LSAT even though they have LSAT scores on the record, right?

woah woah i haven't been following what's going on?? i may not be applying this cycle

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@akistotle said:

yikes seems like uncertain times are coming..

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@akistotle said:

Not necessarily. It's quite possible that they'll still require reporting the highest LSAT that's on one's record.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@uhinberg said:

@akistotle said:

Not necessarily. It's quite possible that they'll still require reporting the highest LSAT that's on one's record.

Ok....thank you.....

https://media.giphy.com/media/sVZwCKdihacRW/giphy.gif

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

It also looks like it gives schools the option to forgo any admissions testing.

But, I am wondering if that will come into play only for people who the schools want to recruit and don't want to insult - like say if you have a Nobel Prize in chemistry or a Medal of Honor, etc.

• The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma

When is 7Sage gonna start offering GRE/GMAT Prep