Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok, I don't feel ready. Should I withdraw from September test?

dubistdudubistdu Free Trial Member
edited September 2014 in September 2014 LSAT 26 karma
I am taking LSAT this coming Saturday.
I have been panicking and stressed out for the past 3 weeks and came to a decision to take another LSAT next year. It would have been ideal if I could move my test date to December but my baby is due 2 days before the test date so, it is not going to work.
I decided to go ahead and take September LSAT just to experience what it feels like to take actual LSAT and how I would do on actual test compare to my practice tests.
I am listening to "the Law school admission game" audio book, and the author says not to take the test unless I feel ready.
She says most likely the scores won't be averaged out (I also looked up schools I am interested in and they said they won't be averaging scores out).
What could be a reason for her to say not to take the test then?
She doesn't really says why in the book. She is just strongly against it.
She says to withdraw from the test 24 hours before the test if I do not feel ready.
Any ideas as to why?

Comments

• jramo118jramo118 Free Trial Member
    26 karma
    They say that because to admission councils it can look like you didnt prepare enough the first time. The lsat is something that we can prepare for months in advance so when you take it twice it can be seen as we didn't prepare enough or take it seriously enough the first time. I myself am taking it twice. I already took it in June, got a 155 & wasnt happy with it. Signed up for September and have been getting in the low 160s with my highest a 164. I just took a preptest & got a 153 which is freaking me out. Thinking of withdrawing and signing up for December, but I dont know yet. So stressful. So its best to take it once, BUT most schools consider your highest score, not an average. Check with each school you want to apply to though. Well best of luck!
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    "They say that because to admission councils it can look like you didnt prepare enough the first time. The lsat is something that we can prepare for months in advance so when you take it twice it can be seen as we didn't prepare enough or take it seriously enough the first time. I myself am taking it twice."

I just want to point out that who ever "they" is your referring to are wrong. I personally know a few people who have written it twice and gone on to do just fine. Case in point, I know a guy who moved to Toronto to go to Osgoode Hall for law school and is currently working at a top firm in the area after (1st year out of grad). Also, I have read people on the forums who have said they wrote it twice and got accepted, if you read some of the TLS stories of people who scored extremely high, I believe there is one that the person states they had to rewrite.

Rewriting the LSAT is not a bad thing, actually quite a few people actually do write it twice. Ideally, you want to get this over with ASAP, but that's not always possible. There are a number of factors that could have resulted in you scoring low on the test, and inadequate preparation may be one of them. But, a lot of people study for the test while working full time or in their final year of undergrad and often overlook how difficult it is to study for the LSAT and succeed, which could be a reason why they scored low the first time. There are also some cases where individuals (like me) have extreme anxiety when it comes to testing and that can result in a lower score. I to, had an experience like yourself where my most recent prep test was way lower (159, usually averaging 165). But, I am actually going to write the test, do my best and hopefully get a good score. I know I am capable of it, I have proven it with more than a single PT being within my desired range. However, it is still beneficial for me to write the test as I will get comfortable with the process and when I write it a second time around I will be able to operate much better without having to worry about all the ambiguity surrounding test day. Although there is an extensive amount of posts of what to do expect online, I find that by dealing with things personally and experiencing them myself helps me more than anything.

Main point: don't think that having to rewrite the test will be your demise. If that does become the case, make sure you certainly do not write the second time until you are 100% convinced and have proven you are adequately prepared.
  • dubistdudubistdu Free Trial Member
    edited September 2014 26 karma
    Thank you both for the comments. I have been studying a little over 3 months. My initial LSAT PT score was 152. After a month of study, it went up to 158 but then it went back down to 154. As more as I study, I realized that there are a lot to be done. I work full time and pregnant with my first baby. I definitely underestimated how much study I have to put in and I did not have a clear study plan. I was overwhelmed with all the information online and kinda got lost track of a schedule plan. I am planning to take my next test in September 2015 with a better plan.
    827 karma
    Personally for you, it sounds like your better off taking next September anyways. I don't know what your target score is or any other information (financial, personal situation, etc) that could affect your decision. But, I would say that there is no rush to get there and you could improve so much over the next year. I think the important thing is that IF you do decide to write in Sept 2015. That DOES NOT MEAN take the next 6 months and restart studying later. I would try my very best (I know it will be difficult with a new born child) to STAY CONSISTENT with your LSAT studies and learning. Even if that means you only do 1 game or 1 passage or 5 LR questions throughout an entire day. You want to maintain a consistent schedule with flexibility, but be stern on making sure you at least meet the goals you set for each week.
  • dubistdudubistdu Free Trial Member
    edited September 2014 26 karma
    Yes, I will continue with my study. I do not plan on holding my study off as I heard from my other mommy friends how I would be in a zombie state for a couple of months once baby is out. :) It will be a challenge but luckily I have a very dedicated husband who is fully supporting me. One thing I really have to work on is speeding up my reading. English is my 2nd language and even though I don't have comprehension issue, I always run out of time in RC section. Thank you again for your advice and good luck to you this Saturday and December if you decide to take the December test.
  • psbrathwaitepsbrathwaite Member
    207 karma
    ^ You are a hero.
    827 karma
    @dubistdu, if it makes you feel any better English is my first language and I also have face a similar reading challenge. Growing up I wasn't forced to read or do homework or anything, it wasn't until I was in my 20's that I began to read and do all that stuff. So, in RC I consistently get a a boatload of questions wrong. If I do RC with no time I get around 4 or 5 wrong, but with time I am talking around -10 each and every time. It's because when I have to pick up the pace on reading, my comprehension drops like crazy. I just can't read that fast (YET), and I haven't built up the habits to becoming a better reader. But it will come, just keep at it. I can say that from the time I began studying to date, my reading ability has sky rocketed. Read outside sources like Scientific America (Personally my favourite, due to the smaller articles they have).
  • DrackedaryDrackedary Member
    239 karma
    I think a possible reason the author is opposed to taking a test when you are not ready is the three times in two years rule.

You are only allowed to write the LSAT three times maximum within any two years. You can write it a fourth time, of course, but it must be after two years. Even if you cancel your score, it counts towards your limit. See: http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat/

In other words, every time you take the LSAT, you should be putting your best possible foot forward.