Game-Changer Needed

sarahmelton6sarahmelton6 Alum Member
in General 169 karma

Hello 7Sagers,

I have been studying for about a year. It's time for me to change my strategy. I have some lazy habits that I am determined to change. Has anyone else viewed the webinar "Our 89 Point Increase Story"? Here is the link in case you want to hear some inspirational advice: https://7sage.com/webinar/our-89-point-increase-story/.

The most concrete inspirational takeaway for me was that studying for the LSAT reflects my work ethic. Ouch! In undergrad, I had a very strong work ethic but I'll admit that I have not turned it up enough notches for the LSAT. It's time to change that because I eventually want to be done with the LSAT. Tonight I am creating my "task board", something that worked for me in undergrad.

Does anyone else have a strategy that took them from simply studying to becoming methodically focused on the curriculum and self-care needed to do their best? I literally have to have my task board in my face to be sure I do this right.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah

Comments

• sarahmelton6sarahmelton6 Alum Member
    169 karma
  • goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

Bodybuilding and tracking my diet/calories helped me with discipline and energy. Any type of exercise will do, of course, but bodybuilding is somewhat unique in that building muscle actually helps your brain to learn! The most important thing you can do for yourself, though, is eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly.

As a more general guide to LSAT success, make sure you're constantly cultivating good habits in as many areas of your life as possible. Correct your posture if it's not perfect, be kind to yourself, work hard, eat well, meditate, sleep as much as you can, take time off when you need it, be honest, and all that good stuff. Consulting with a peer/tutor helps, too. :]

Oh, and more specifically, you want to be organized and deliberate in how you learn/approach the various intricacies of the LSAT. Learning LR/LG by question/game type is a big one.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

This is the same link attached by Kimmy. I used the process to power my 8 point increase. I went from not finishing logic games in February to missing one due to a simple misreading error I almost had time to catch on the September test. So I would foolproof one new game section a day religiously according to this method, then double check its "foolproofedness" a day and a week later. That would be the main strategy I would recommend for games. Printing them out ahead of time and putting the dates I would complete them on a physical calender ahead of time also helped keep me on schedule.

Games were my main weakness so other than that all I did was to PT a lot to keep feeding the foolproofing process more games, thoroughly blind review those PTs, and keep and regularly review copies of all the LR questions I ever missed. I also went back through sections of the Core Curriculilum when I struggled with a question type or missed it in blind review.

Anyways, that's all I did so it is the best guide I can give you to improving all the way to a180 with just that 1 mistake. There are not any secrets. Ability whether natural or trained through your experience in college or in life helps; but after whatever start you have, it is going to be a mix of luck, dedication to your studies, a good study strategy, and having the best study materials which get you as far as you can go. For me 7 sage and the community provided the materials, strategy, and even some of the necessary inspiration to do the best that I could. I hope it does the same for you.

But no matter what, you need to figure out how to give yourself the needed drive and then hope or prey or whatever that fortune smiles upon your scantron just a little bit.

As far as I am concerned, you have most of what you need if you read @kimmy_m66's post. Your improvement is mostly in your own hands now.

Good luck!

169 karma

@goingfor99th said:

As a more general guide to LSAT success, make sure you're constantly cultivating good habits in as many areas of your life as possible.

99th,

This is what I love about the LSAT. It is making me form better habits overall. I agree that a deliberate exercise routine is healthy for the mind and boosts motivation in general. I added daily exercise and meditation to my task board. I'm rooting for you! Thanks for the advice!

Sarah

edited December 2017 169 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    Printing them out ahead of time and putting the dates I would complete them on a physical calender ahead of time also helped keep me on schedule.

Thank you, I love organizational tips to help me stay focused and on schedule.

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    it is going to be a mix of luck, dedication to your studies, a good study strategy, and having the best study materials which get you as far as you can go.

This is so true. I don't want to rely on luck, but it is a factor for better or for worse. My earlier PT's were more contingent on luck and intuition, but I am trying to become more technical in my approach to every question type. Thank you for your meticulous response.

Sarah

P.S. Good luck!

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Good luck! Let me know if you need any clarification on my process. But remember, each person's schedule is gonna be different and personalized so if something isn't working, don't feel like you have to stick directly to the script :)

169 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:
    Good luck! Let me know if you need any clarification on my process.

Thank you so much! And, congratulations!!