Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Submit LSAT Addendum?

cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
edited December 2017 in General 737 karma

I'm debating whether to submit an LSAT addendum,particularly to my safety schools. I am taking the February LSAT, so should I just wait for that first?

For one of my safety schools, my LSAT is two points below the median, and 1 point above their 25th, but my GPA is at their 75th.

I am below the median in my target schools, so I was planning to submit an LSAT addendum for sure to those schools

I want to submit my apps for three of my safety schools already, but I am not sure how to go about writing an addendum if I am registered for the Feb LSAT?

What do you guys think? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you guys in advance!

Comments

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

This all depends on what your addendum will aay. I think you should write it if you have a specific reason for your underperformance (i.e. you were sick, a close family member died the day before, etc). If you simply had a bad day, telling them you were PTing a few points higher and don’t know what happened won’t look good—it’ll look like you’re making excuses.

Is this addendum simply to state that you’re taking February? And you’re asking them to hold the app?

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

@cal270 I was just going to write about how its not indicative of my ability for law school. I am a non-traditional student, studying while teaching full time. Just wanting to make sure if its a good or bad idea to write this

And no, I think I could just call them and tell them to hold my app, no?

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

@cgracia12 got it. I think you should definitely get some other opinions here—I’m not an expert—but if I were in your position, I’d notify the schools that I’m retaking the LSAT and leave it at that. I know it’s not what you want to hear, but many LSAT-takers work or go to school full-time while prepping. I too underperformed a bit for that reason, so I feel your pain. But ultimately, I don’t think that really merits an addendum, and I’m not sure it’ll really help you make your case. From what I’ve read, LSAT addenda should be used to note specific issues (aside from the ones I mentioned in my previous comment: undiagnosed learning disability or mental health struggle, bubbling error caught after the fact, demonstrated history of seriously underperforming on standardized tests, etc). But as I mentioned above, try to get some other opinions. Good luck with your apps and the retake!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Nope. No need to include an addendum. LSAT addenda should be reserved for things out of your control that negatively affected your performance. For example, many of the students who took after Hurricane Harvey had grounds for writing addenda.

Many people write that they don't think that the LSAT is indicative of their abilities for law school. The issue is, you don't know what because you haven't gone to law school...

If, on the other hand, you have a history of poor standardized test performance, such as the SAT/ACT, but then went on to excel in college, you may have grounds for writing an addendum.

Otherwise, I'd pass on writing an addendum.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yes, agreed with folks above. LSAT addenda should be for factors like, you were sick on test day, or the test center fire alarm went off mid-test, etc. I’d just advise them that you are taking the February test.

Good luck!

737 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

If, on the other hand, you have a history of poor standardized test performance, such as the SAT/ACT, but then went on to excel in college, you may have grounds for writing an addendum.

@"Alex Divine" , thank you for your reply. I was hoping you'd respond! Haha

See, that's the thing. I do have a poor history of standardized testing, but my ugpa is a 3.4. and a 3.7 in my masters. I guess its better than avg, but not anything amazing. I did get academic honors my last two years in my undergrad.

I was also leaning towards not writing an addendum, do you still feel I shouldn't?

Thanks again @"Alex Divine" , i'm sure a lot of people value your opinion!

737 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Yes, agreed with folks above. LSAT addenda should be for factors like, you were sick on test day, or the test center fire alarm went off mid-test, etc. I’d just advise them that you are taking the February test.

Good luck!

Thank you, @"Leah M B" ! I was also thinking that way. And btw, congrats on your awesome scores! :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cgracia12 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" , thank you for your reply. I was hoping you'd respond! Haha

See, that's the thing. I do have a poor history of standardized testing, but my ugpa is a 3.4. and a 3.7 in my masters. I guess its better than avg, but not anything amazing. I did get academic honors my last two years in my undergrad.

I was also leaning towards not writing an addendum, do you still feel I shouldn't?

Thanks again @"Alex Divine" , i'm sure a lot of people value your opinion!

Happy to help!

Yeah, I think your leaning is correct here w/ opting to not write an addendum.

To be honest, much of what I've read about LSAT addenda basically suggest that admissions personnel largely see them as more to read and often unnecessary.

The best thing you can do is what you're already planning on; to kill it on a retake in February!

I'll be rooting for you :)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Don't write an LSAT addenda unless you are offering a persuasive reason why you can't get a score that is indicative of your ability or unless you are trying to make them pay attention to the score indicative of your ability and ignore the other one.

It seems risky to gamble on claiming it is going to be the February test which is indicative of your ability without knowing for sure there isn't something that won't go well then too.