Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I PT, followed by BR. Keep drilling, what next?

sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
in General 1501 karma

My goal score is a 151, not too ambitious, I know. I am PTing still around 148, and BRing in the mid 150s, mostly 155. Diagnostic of 142.
I am sitting for February's test (I will take June if need be). So I take a PT, I BR it, other days I drill LR and FP. Somehow my RC is the highest, and 2nd is LG, and lowest is LR sects. But I'm drilling LR and only at like -4 or -5. And I'm drilling whole LR sections at 35 mins. What do I need to focus on? Continue LR drilling and working through those questions? I wish my PTs would be closer to my drilling of LR..

Comments

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

What's your worst question type on LR? Those are what you should focus on drilling, in my opinion. Another option is to get really good at LG. Honestly, in a month you can probably get down to -2/-3 per section. That alone would get you past 151, especially if you have time to do some LR drilling on the side

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

That's a great question, and my first one, thinking I will focus on that 1 LG area that gives me the greatest challenge. Then I check the analytics on here and it's hardly just a section or two. It's a couple to a few questions in each category. So I was like, damn, which area should I focus on then? A lot of it I think is the time constraint, but then again in the drilling I do it in 35 mins.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

@"sbc.mom_3x" said:
    That's a great question, and my first one, thinking I will focus on that 1 LG area that gives me the greatest challenge. Then I check the analytics on here and it's hardly just a section or two. It's a couple to a few questions in each category. So I was like, damn, which area should I focus on then? A lot of it I think is the time constraint, but then again in the drilling I do it in 35 mins.

If you're interested in working on LG, I suggest checking out the famous Pacifico method (https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1)

Again, even if you just get through 15-20 games, you'll get a lot better. As for LR, I suggest doing some untimed sections. As in, go through, make sure you understand the stimulus and question stem, and don't move on until you feel like you 100% have the correct answer. It's basically BR before actually taking the section. I found untimed sections to be very helpful. Understanding the question is just as important as timing, so focus on understanding first.

1501 karma

I've been doing that FP method! Really find it beneficial. I went -5 on my last PT in the LG section. So it's the LR that's really holding me back. I will be trying the untimed LR sections as you suggested. In the full PTs, I think part of my problem is rushing, reading too fast. I'll end up with a few minutes left but not enough to go through and double check all that I doubted myself on.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"sbc.mom_3x" said:
    My goal score is a 151, not too ambitious, I know. I am PTing still around 148, and BRing in the mid 150s, mostly 155. Diagnostic of 142.
    I am sitting for February's test (I will take June if need be). So I take a PT, I BR it, other days I drill LR and FP. Somehow my RC is the highest, and 2nd is LG, and lowest is LR sects. But I'm drilling LR and only at like -4 or -5. And I'm drilling whole LR sections at 35 mins. What do I need to focus on? Continue LR drilling and working through those questions? I wish my PTs would be closer to my drilling of LR..

How many LR questions are you missing on timed sections?

I think with your current goal and score breakdown, you should spend as much time as you can divided between drilling specific LR question types and reviewing weaknesses in the CC. Since RC is the hardest to improve on and currently your best section, I'd probably just do RC on PTs and sort of spend my extra time improving on LR and LG. After all, there are 2 sections of LR, so any improvement has the ability to be two fold.

edited January 2018 1501 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"sbc.mom_3x" said:

I think with your current goal and score breakdown, you should spend as much time as you can divided between drilling specific LR question types and reviewing weaknesses in the CC. Since RC is the hardest to improve on and currently your best section, I'd probably just do RC on PTs and sort of spend my extra time improving on LR and LG. After all, there are 2 sections of LR, so any improvement has the ability to be two fold.

When do timed LR sections I miss 4 or 5. When I PT timed, I miss 14 15 or 16, of the LR sects.

Perhaps I misused the term drill with respect to LR sections. Any special trick to breaking the LR questions down to types for purposes of drilling?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"sbc.mom_3x" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"sbc.mom_3x" said:

When do timed LR sections I miss 4 or 5. When I PT timed, I miss 14 15 or 16, of the LR sects.

Perhaps I misused the term drill with respect to LR sections. Any special trick to breaking the LR questions down to types for purposes of drilling?

Hmm... Interesting. What do you think accounts for the large variation in misses between your timed sections vs. full PTs?

No special trick to breaking them down. I just use 7Sage analytics and then drill whatever type says is high priority if I've missed more than a couple of those types over my last few PTs. Then I just use the Problem sets under the CC lessons to drill those types.

1501 karma

I have no idea. I even warm up. It's gotta be mindset. Maybe I feel less under pressure during the single timed sections. I'll try drilling the CC problem sets, that's a good idea.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Interesting, yes your LR issue sounds more like either nerves or stamina. Can you post your score break down for maybe the last 1 or 2 PTs so we have a clear idea of where you're at?

Again just to make sure we're clear, you're saying when you do 1 timed LR section of 35 minutes, you average -4 or -5? But then during a full timed PT, you average around -14+ per LR section?

1501 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

Again just to make sure we're clear, you're saying when you do 1 timed LR section of 35 minutes, you average -4 or -5? But then during a full timed PT, you average around -14+ per LR section?

Yes! It's so frustrating. In BR though it was less (following a timed PT).

Can post breakdown in a bit.