Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preemptive LOCI?

smtaylor1217smtaylor1217 Free Trial Member

Hi all,

Wondering what your thoughts are on sending a preemptive LOCI. I was rejected from my first choice school (which I applied to ED 2).

Does it make sense to send my second choice school a LOCI or LOCI-like statement stating that I would accept immediately if I were accepted there, prior to hearing back any decision from them re: acceptance/ waitlist/ rejection?

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I dont see why not. Especially since it will be your second choice and you didnt gain acceptance to your first.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

How long has it been since you applied? If it's been at least a few months I would say sure. However, rather than telling them your first choice rejected you and they are now far and away your remaining first choice or saying it without explanation, I would go with the angle that you did additional research and have found blank, blank, and blank things about the school which make you certain you will attend if accepted.

Since you can't sign an early decision contract with them there is no way for you to really prove the statement that "I would accept immediately if I were accepted there." The best you can do is convince them there are a few things about their program which you just can't get anywhere else. It is basically a brief Why X essay, but in letter form with your promise tacked on.

• smtaylor1217smtaylor1217 Free Trial Member
    55 karma

@westcoastbestcoast thank you! This is really helpful. I only submitted on January 10, so it wasn't too long ago, but I'll at least start putting together a Why X letter/essay (I chose a different optional essay to submit with my application).

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@smtaylor1217 said:
    @westcoastbestcoast thank you! This is really helpful. I only submitted on January 10, so it wasn't too long ago, but I'll at least start putting together a Why X letter/essay (I chose a different optional essay to submit with my application).

No problem. Best of luck and let us know if you need more help

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Did you end up doing this? Did it work? Thinking of doing the same for my top choice school

• smtaylor1217smtaylor1217 Free Trial Member
    55 karma

@mcglz_64 I ended up getting waitlisted at that school before I submitted anything. So I will be submitting a LOCI later this month/ early next month anyways!