Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GRE Thoughts

Legally_SpeakingLegally_Speaking Alum Member
in General 553 karma

How do you think the GRE will change law school admissions? I realize this is a very broad question, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited March 2018 4850 karma

Edit: misread your question. Sorry :blush:

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

The LSAT is still the supreme test for law school admissions but I think some law schools now accepting the GRE definitely affected the LSAT. The GRE can be taken very often (I'm not sure of the specifics) so that's most likely why there are now more dates to take the LSAT. All of that, combined with unlimited LSAT takes now being allowed, created the perfect storm for a more competitive admissions cycle. I've also heard rumors about no tests being required in the future. I might be in the minority here but I don't think that would be a good thing. The top schools would still want those high scores and it would allow lower ranked and unranked schools to prey on people even more than they already do.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Not much at all, maybe. I simply can't see law schools putting a ton of weight into GRE scores when they have the LSAT to rely on. GRE-only law school applicants will be mostly secondary to applicants with an LSAT score, I bet.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    edited March 2018 1755 karma

how will GRE scores be used for scholarships? Hypothetical: is like a 165 GRE scored equivalent to like 175 LSAT? given that many law schools give huge weight on LSAT when giving out scholarships, how much weight will they give the GRE?

Also for splitters. is a 180 LSAT, low GPA - the same weight as a Perfect GRE, low GPA?

I think most can assume that the LSAT is a tougher test than the GRE. Also, for the top percentile (97-99) - the LSAT has much finer distinction than the GRE. how is that taken into consideration? Also, much fewer ppl get a perfect score in the LSAT than the GRE.

also, the GRE and LSAT are SO different. the LSAT has such a heavy focus on conditional logic and some levels of formal logic (with some/most relationships). As far as i know, i don't think the GRE has much of an emphasis on conditional logic.

Also, Logic games and the GRE's math section are like SO different. In/out games, splitting game boards, grouping games, and making those tough inferences etc. is very different than the GRE's elementary algebra.

don't law schools realize how different they are?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited March 2018 23929 karma

I think it will be very similar to B schools taking both GMAT/GRE. The GMAT/LSAT will always be viewed as the "standard" and/or the test serious candidates take.

One good change I think is that the LSAC is going to start getting their act together. Overall, sounds like a positive thing!

@simplereally said:
    how will GRE scores be used for scholarships? Hypothetical: is like a 165 GRE scored equivalent to like 175 LSAT? given that many law schools give huge weight on LSAT when giving out scholarships, how much weight will they give the GRE?

A 165 of a verbal of the GRE is a ~96%-tile score. So that'd be like a 168/169 when converted to the LSAT's %tile. However, there's no way to put them on equal footing. I think it's pretty widely accepted that the GRE's verbal section is different from the LSAT's in both difficulty and structure.

Also for splitters. is a 180 LSAT, low GPA - the same weight as a Perfect GRE, low GPA?

No. The LSAT is going to carry significantly more weight for splitters.

Also, Logic games and the GRE's math section are like SO different. In/out games, splitting game boards, grouping games, and making those tough inferences etc. is very different than the GRE's elementary algebra.

don't law schools realize how different they are?

I'm assuming they must. The GMAT and the GRE are about as different than the GRE and LSAT in my opinion and yet almost all reputable business schools now accept both. A couple things to note is that scholarship opportunities at certain schools are only available to students with a GMAT score. Also, admissions at many b schools have expressed that they take applicants with GMAT scores, on the whole, more seriously, and therefore have a preference for the GMAT.

I think in the future when all the dust settles, the LSAT will be perceived similarly. I think it's a great option for those applying to dual programs, but otherwise it's going to be like taking the GRE for b school - an option that puts most at a disadvantage vis-a-vis admissions.

• @"forest.dearing.2017" said:
    How do you think the GRE will change law school admissions? I realize this is a very broad question, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

Here is the discussion from this week all about this!

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/15304/new-schools-that-now-accept-gre-scores

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I would say that the casual relationship is reversed. The law school's changing outlook in admissions and their desire to broaden and diversify their student body is what caused them to accept the GRE. In other words, the GRE is just a byproduct of changes in the law school admissions process.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think it's too soon to tell and we'll need like 5 cycles and more participating schools before there's much data. Plus numbers on how many people are electing the GRE option. One thing that's been really interesting to me is the GRE has a Score Select option, which is obviously not something the LSAT has. In any case, it's still a really small number of schools. I imagine more will be on board, but it'll probably take some time. Hopefully admissions officers will start commenting on these issues more; it'll be interesting to hear what they say.

• Legally_SpeakingLegally_Speaking Alum Member
    edited March 2018 553 karma

@westcoastbestcoast I think it may become a biconditional relationship, but I take your point.