Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On Campus Scholarship Interviews

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
edited March 2018 in General 3521 karma

Hey all,

I've been selected by Cornell as a finalist for a full-tuition merit scholarship. They're flying all the finalists (Approx 16) to Cornell for a ~2 day interview process (the first day is technically a "social" dinner but it seems like you'd want to be kinda in interview-mode for that).

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these types of interviews. Was the formal interview you received with one person? A professor? An admissions counselor/dean? Or was it with a committee? Professor committee? Admissions committee?

@goingfor99th I'm not sure if you did the scholarship interview with Berkeley yet, but if you have do you have any advice?

All thoughts are appreciated!

Best,

Paul

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

No advice, just a big ol' congrats!!! That's amazing, even to just be a finalist. Wooo!!

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Ah, you got this thang! Congrats!!! (I don’t know anything about this, sorry)—A.c.S

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Hey all,

I've been selected by Cornell as a finalist for a full-tuition merit scholarship. They're flying all the finalists (Approx 16) to Cornell for a ~2 day interview process (the first day is technically a "social" dinner but it seems like you'd want to be kinda in interview-mode for that).

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these types of interviews. Was the formal interview you received with one person? A professor? An admissions counselor/dean? Or was it with a committee? Professor committee? Admissions committee?

@goingfor99th I'm not sure if you did the scholarship interview with Berkeley yet, but if you have do you have any advice?

All thoughts are appreciated!

Best,

Paul

I withdrew from consideration for the Berkeley Law Opportunity Scholarship. Sorry I can't provide you with more insight.

Congratulations on your selection, though!!! If you win this scholarship, will you go to Cornell?

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Thanks all!

@goingfor99th Dang! I was hoping you'd enlighten me with some of your wisdom :smile:!

I'm not sure, I'm still waiting to hear back from a majority of the places I applied. Still, money is a huge factor for me so a full-ride would definitely shoot Cornell to (as of now) my top choice out of the ones I've been admitted to.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Woot full scholarship to a t14. U got this interview!! Good to hear good news after people being devestated from uva's financial aid

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Wow! That is awesome! Congrats!!!
    If it were me, I would do three things: dress business or business casual (if there's a walking tour, wearing comfy shoes), be utmost mindful of manners (be punctual), and pause and take a breath before interview questions to think my answer over before rambling. Granted, that last one may just pertain to me. :smile:
    Full tuition at such a highly ranked school is amazing! Not everyone gets this opportunity, so enjoy the experience, whatever your decision.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

This is incredible! Best of luck to you! Sorry I don't know much about the Cornell interview process. There are probably few who could speak to this exact experience.

I'd say just prep for the main questions: why law, why Cornell, difficult experiences you've overcome, what you hope to do after graduation, and practice pivoting your answers to talk about impressive and interesting experiences you've had -- politicians call this a message box.

You're going to be great. :)

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Glad they invited you. Glad you accepted. This is an honor. Convey your appreciation and interest. And yes, like @xadrianas6x was saying, manners are key. Praise the food. Also, maybe buy a new outfit and get a haircut.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

And stay away from any trace of a sense of entitlement.

3521 karma

So these interviews are taking place at the same time as Admitted Student's weekend, so I would be doing my interview somewhere between the events being held that day.

Since that's the case, what do I wear lol. It seems strange to be wearing a suit all day...maybe I'll just bring one? Or maybe I'll wear a casual suit like a brown sportscoat and khakis?

8392 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    So these interviews are taking place at the same time as Admitted Student's weekend, so I would be doing my interview somewhere between the events being held that day.

Since that's the case, what do I wear lol. It seems strange to be wearing a suit all day...maybe I'll just bring one? Or maybe I'll wear a casual suit like a brown sportscoat and khakis?

Hm, interesting dilemma. In that case, I think I would skew a little more toward business casual or a casual suit like you mentioned. Since I'm guessing it will be between other events and you'll want to be relatively comfortable.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

You can never be too well dressed for dinner.
    But if you're going to be wandering around campus, business casual sounds like a smart choice.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

I wouldn't wear a tie to dinner unless it calls for it. Have confidence, wear oxfords, nice pants, button up shirt with complementary undershirt and top button undone.

lawschoolfashion

3521 karma

Do y'all think this is a good outfit to wear???

https://goo.gl/images/1W37CP

8392 karma

@"Paul Caint" Yeah, I think something like that would be great!

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

@"Paul Caint" That looks good.

3521 karma

@"Leah M B" @Kermit750 okay good cause I just spent all day at the mall buying that exact outfit :smile:

3521 karma

I'm selfishly bumping this.

I head up to Cornell Thursday and I'm not sure what the interview process is gonna be like! Any advice that you all can give, especially those that have done these types of interviews before, would be HUGELY appreciated!!!