Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pepperdine Law vs. Loyola Law

What are your thoughts (pro's, con's) on these two schools? Based on an earlier post, I know that Pepperdine has gone up the ranking and now outranks Loyola. Should I take this into some consideration when making my decision? I know they're not T-14, but they are both in the LA area which is where I would ultimately like to attend.

Comments

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

What kind of law do you want to pursue? I don't know about pepperdine but I know Loyola is known for entertainment law.

• paralegaltolawyer3paralegaltolawyer3 Free Trial Member
    80 karma

Loyola definitely has stronger job prospects in the LA market. Their alumni network is well established in the area.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

If I was choosing between the two, I would look into what internships/jobs are available and just base it off of traffic honestly. I would imagine Loyola would have a lot more internships/jobs available considering they're in DTLA. Not sure what's going on with jobs up in the Malibu area. If I had to commute from Malibu to DTLA for internships/jobs I would be veryyy unhappy (1hr+, always heavy traffic).
    Check what clinics are available, which concentrations are available.
    If all things are totally equal to you, just pick where you'd rather live OR which area is more affordable to live, depending on your financial situation. I would rather live in Malibu than DTLA.

Before the big ranking bump, I would have said Loyola for sure. IDK what the ranking bump implies so just do your research.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

Hey! I'm interested in these schools too so let me know what you find! I did a really really quick google search and found this info ... might be helpful?

Also - have you already applied or are considering for next year? I'm applying for 2019 cycle so I'm interested to know what info you find about these schools and why you ultimately make your decision for one versus the other (down the line). If you don't mind sharing your stats as well that would be helpful :smile:

Loyola Marymount University (https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/loyola-marymount-university-03009)
    Loyola Law School Los Angeles at Loyola Marymount University is a law school with high rankings for its trial advocacy and tax law specialties. The school is located in downtown L.A., putting students close to powerhouse players in the entertainment industry, among other sectors. Interested students may be eligible to complete the Entertainment Law Practicum, in which they get hands-on experiences with employers such as Paramount Pictures, MGM-UA Studios, and Warner Bros. Television. In addition, Loyola Los Angeles students work on the Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Review, as well as the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review and the Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Review.
    Loyola Law School Los Angeles requires all law students to do pro bono work before they graduate. The law school operates a number of research centers and institutes, including the Cancer Legal Resource Center, the Sports Law Institute, and the Center for Juvenile Law & Policy. Loyola Los Angeles also offers intensive seminars, including the Journalist Law School, which educates professional reporters who want to know more about the legal system for free over four days.

Pepperdine University (https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/pepperdine-university-03011)
    Outside of class, Pepperdine law students may opt to join legal journals including the Pepperdine Law Review, the Pepperdine Dispute Resolution Law Journal, and the Journal of Business, Entrepreneurship and the Law. They may also find opportunities for involvement within a variety of institutes and programs operated by Pepperdine Law, including the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, the Geoffrey H. Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship and the Law, the Herbert and Elinor Nootbaar Institute on Law, Religion, and Ethics, and the William Matthew Byrne, Jr. Judicial Clerkship Institute.
    The school also operates the Global Justice Program, which sends students and faculty around the world to further international human rights, religious freedom, global development, and the rule of law. Pepperdine School of Law is affiliated with the Churches of Christ and “expresses its Christian principles through all aspects of academic life and administrative policy,” according to the school’s website. Students of all faiths are welcomed.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    edited March 2018 436 karma

Also if you're interested in doing joint MBA/JD, Loyola gives automatic admissions into MBA program for law school student who completed first year, scored 158+ LSAT and hold a 3.0 after L1. That's something I'm considering so wanted to share.

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

I would be cautious to rely on the ranking jump for Pepperdine.. I just found this on Reddit :neutral:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmissions/comments/8501vo/pepperdine_law_ranking/

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@spitzy11 said:
    I would be cautious to rely on the ranking jump for Pepperdine.. I just found this on Reddit :neutral:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmissions/comments/8501vo/pepperdine_law_ranking/

Haaah. I was really surprised at the jump idk how the Malibu legal market suddenly thrives over DTLA legal market. So yeah stick with Loyola!

• gloriaurbina7gloriaurbina7 Alum Member
    77 karma

@spitzy11 said:

Wow wow wow. Thank you so much for this! The ranking jump is what caused me to double think Pepperdine.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@spitzy11 said:

LOL

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

@gloriaurbina7 said:

@spitzy11 said:

Wow wow wow. Thank you so much for this! The ranking jump is what caused me to double think Pepperdine.

I've visited Pepperdine and really loved the campus and the people. I also work with 3 attorneys that went there... I definitely think your specific goals should guide your decision! For instance, when I was there, I met a girl that was in the interview process for a position with the Ventura County DA's office. But, as others have said, Loyola has the DTLA network.