Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Appeal to conscience example please

BroccoliBroccoli Core Member

Hello,

I was recently reviewing PT2.S2.Q2. One of the answer says "The author appeals to conscience rather than reason."

Could you give me an example when the author appeals to conscience?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I don't have an example from an LSAT pt but this would just be saying something like
    "even though all the evidence proves that Bob committed the crime, Bob was abused as a child, so he shouldn't be charged."

Appeal to conscience is just an appeal to emotion.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    I don't have an example from an LSAT pt but this would just be saying something like
    "even though all the evidence proves that Bob committed the crime, Bob was abused as a child, so he shouldn't be charged."

Appeal to conscience is just an appeal to emotion.

Yeah this is a good one!

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    edited March 2018 352 karma

@"surfy surf" Alright. That makes sense now.

One more obvious question. When they're saying "reason", they're asking for why the argument should be applied, right?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@Broccoli180 said:
    @"surfy surf" Alright. That makes sense now.

One more obvious question. When they're saying "reason", they're asking for why the argument should be applied, right?

Not really. An appeal to conscience, rather than [an appeal to] reason.

An appeal to reason can be anything which reasonably supports the conclusion. It's reasoning for the argument. Bob murdered people. Murdering people is illegal. What Bob did was illegal.

What is the appeal to reason here? That Bob murdered people and murdering people is illegal. Citing the law and fact is an appeal to reason.

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

@"surfy surf" your explanation is on point. thank you