Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR "curve-breaker questions" list?

lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member

Hey guys! I'm sure most of you, like me, get excited whenever JY says that a question is a curve breaker question and you happened to get it right. I know the question bank has questions organized by most difficult. But I was wondering if any of you have a few specific questions that have been deemed "curve breaker." I'm asking because I'd like to gather them all and hone in on them haha. These are the questions that stump even the highest scorers. I have horrible recollection of past specific preptests and which questions were hard but of course every test has them. So far I only have a couple specific ones in mind:
- Rattlesnake; PT 30 S2
- Joggers; PT 64 S1

If you know any specifics, please comment! :)

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

On the question bank for LR you can select 5 stars for difficulty. Then you will be able to see a list of the hardest questions

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    On the question bank for LR you can select 5 stars for difficulty. Then you will be able to see a list of the hardest questions

Haha I know!! I am being bratty and want to make a list of the explicitly said "curve breaker" ones. Distilling the ones where the lesson videos don't regard them as super hard but nonetheless have 5 stars. But I know it will be a feat to fish them all out.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

Use the question bank and select the questions where less than ~30% of students answer correctly. Or any question where an incorrect answer is chosen more often than the correct answer.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

Haha I know!! I am being bratty and want to make a list of the explicitly said "curve breaker" ones. Distilling the ones where the lesson videos don't regard them as super hard but nonetheless have 5 stars. But I know it will be a feat to fish them all out.

Going based on the ones people seem to miss the most should probably be good enough as a measure of difficulty. But, if you know how to do all the different types of LR questions well enough, there really are not any hard let alone "curve breaking" LR questions. My mistakes (about 1 on average per section) were as likely to come on moderately difficult questions 2 or 3 stars as the 5 star ones or any that have been called "curve breakers".

I think you ought to be able to study for these supposed "curve breakers" by getting good at all the different LR question types rather than specifically studying the supposedly hard ones. I also think if you have to pick a set of questions to study based on them being hard, it should be the ones that actually tripped you up, not the ones that tripped up the most people in general, or the ones JY thought ought to trip the most people up. So why not just keep track of all the LR questions you either missed entirely, corrected during blind review, or felt shaky on during blind review?