Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's The 2nd Week of April

So I call b.s. on this whole cycle. I'm about 15 minutes away from raging over these schools... deposits are due! I already have barely have enough money to buy my college cap & gown, let alone put more than 100 bucks down on numerous law schools that I have yet to hear from. I'm know I can't be the only one in this sinking titanic, of a cycle.

Comments

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I'm literally dreaming about admissions offices for the schools I've applied to. 4 dreams now. It's all I think about.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

The way it might end up making you pay multiple deposits is if you were in at a school right now whuch you were willing to attend in fall so you deposit and plan to go there, but then you end up getting into another school you like more and deposit there, and so on. A handful of people also deposit at multiple schools they have been accepted to intentionally to keep leverage to continue scholarship negotiations (you can't leverage an offer you have turned down).

But you don't deposit at schools which have not accepted you yet. They'll give you a different deposit deadline if they accept you after their first one.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

We're bound to get a lot of decisions back this week.

• Chelsey ChenChelsey Chen Member
    38 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

What makes you say that?

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@taranjot said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

What makes you say that?

Likely because law schools are aware of other schools' deadlines coming up.

• marcosmcqueenmarcosmcqueen Member
    241 karma

@PublicInterested said:

@taranjot said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

What makes you say that?

Likely because law schools are aware of other schools' deadlines coming up.

This assumes they care about the other schools' deadlines, which I'm not sure is a supported assumption. Were that the case they'd have some sort of coordinated application and response schedule.
    I don't want anyone to get their hopes up. I'd like to get back decisions this week, but it's very possible that we won't. You need to assume that you won't and start making contingency plans. I'm generally opposed to taking on credit card debt, but this is a case where an exception may be warranted. strategically depositing at key peer schools could give you leverage to negotiate scholarships down the road which could be worth tens of thousands of dollars.
    Talk to family about the possible need to borrow money to double deposit (if that's an option), consider whether you have credit available to make the deposits if not.
    I'm waiting for NYU and CLS (actually waiting) and SLS and YLS (not really waiting) not to mention money from a number of schools, so I feel your pain. As this is my second cycle (salty vet, right) I'm skeptical. I'd put the odds of hearing from all four at less than 50%. I'd be thrilled to hear from two.
    Hope for the best (decisions this week), plan for the worst (decisions remain outstanding).

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@PublicInterested @marcosmcqueen also because their own deadlines are coming up

• marcosmcqueenmarcosmcqueen Member
    241 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @PublicInterested @marcosmcqueen also because their own deadlines are coming up

True