Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strategies for improvement beyond the curriculum

in General 439 karma

Wondering if anyone has seen improvement in scoring after incorporating something like meditation, qi gong, yoga, vigorous exercise, or anything like that into their daily routine. I used to meditate everyday and I remember it helping me think clearly, which seems like it'd be helpful for the LSAT. What do you think? Does anyone feel like they can attribute positive results to something besides studying?

Comments

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

Yeah meditation and exercise are part of my daily routine because of the LSAT, and I do think they've made a difference. It's not a huge one though, maybe an improvement of 1-2 points mainly in the form of less reading/overconfidence errors.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Yes--I started doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because I used to get incredibly crippling anxiety about the LSAT. Doing it has proven to me that perseverance yields results and it's lowered the volume on LSAT so I'm actually enjoying practicing for this test and getting better at it! Highly recommend BJJ. I also tried to meditate but this wasn't as effective as BJJ for me.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma

I always get bored anytime I try to meditate, but I think the concept is sound (and scientifically backed) and I have a number of things I incorporate into my life which I feel fill that role. Drinking coffee in the morning, I like to sit on my porch, listen to the birds, and turn everything else off. I also do a number of physical chores like chopping firewood and gardening where I just focus on the task at hand and let my brain rest. When I get busy and don't take time for these things, my stress levels build up very quickly. However you like to take this kind of time for yourself, it's really important to allow for. I think that's true for the LSAT and for life more broadly.

• protagonistalexprotagonistalex Alum Member
    56 karma

Yes, the "Winning the Psychological Battle" section of the curriculum really won me over. I distinctly remember thinking "I would eat dirt if it helped my score," followed by "Meditation and building a healthy routine are probably more pleasant than eating dirt, so why not try it?" I'm on day 3 of daily 10-minute meditation and am swearing off alcohol and junk food until after the June test. I already exercise regularly and am looking forward to some nice runs to clear my mind after practice tests.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I always get bored anytime I try to meditate, but I think the concept is sound (and scientifically backed) and I have a number of things I incorporate into my life which I feel fill that role. Drinking coffee in the morning, I like to sit on my porch, listen to the birds, and turn everything else off. I also do a number of physical chores like chopping firewood and gardening where I just focus on the task at hand and let my brain rest. When I get busy and don't take time for these things, my stress levels build up very quickly. However you like to take this kind of time for yourself, it's really important to allow for. I think that's true for the LSAT and for life more broadly.

A good salt of the earth feller right there :smile:

I've experimented with different times of day for working out at the gym. I found that waking up early in the morning and finishing my workout before anything else is extremely rewarding for my productivity and stress levels throughout the rest of the day. If you exercise or do a physically demanding task first thing in the morning, you'll get the sensation that the hardest part of your day is over once you have finished.

Working out in the evening has mixed results. I usually get a better workout at this part of the day as I have accrued nutrients and calories essential for the workout. I prefer morning, however, as you feel motivated after your workout. I've found my brain functions at a more relaxed and alert level.

Aside from lifting, you can try swimming, biking, hiking, climbing or any other activity that increases your heart-rate. It's great for the LSAT because you'll have an easier time relaxing during the test. But more importantly, you'll be a healthier person and I can't say enough about the importance of shifting focus away from the LSAT even for a little while.